Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > History forum

Hitler's mistakes

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5326-5350 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 10:52:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 1:56:28 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Hi my dearest Jeedgr:

I do love your jokes; I did not know the first one. It is great.
Now, I said clearly that sociologists say, so this is NOT my original thinking. I learned that in school in a class called: "WHY WAR?" We spent discussing the factors in human nature, the politics etc, and he told us this rule. Interestingly, we spent so much time discussing the war of Vietnam, that when it was time for me to present the sequence of the Arab- Israeli conflict - he assigned this to me- the professor did not let me elaborate much.
This is a wonderful instance of person who was not acting in an antisemitic manner, but realistically we ran out of time to discuss this in depth. The Vietnam war was more interesting for the other students and near to them and before the draft was eliminated so, I understood why and never took it as antisemitism.

Hey! this is the key as to when see things realistically and when not! But yes, I would have preferred we would have time to go into my subject in greater depth.

. As for Golda Meir's Joke. We have a similar joke, I hope you don't know it: Moses stuttered and he said "Cccccnaaan," when he really meant Canada! Ouch....... did that hurt?

Seriously Israel is finding resources in the land, and in when we had the Sinai we did discover oil in Yamit. Yamit was dismantled when we gave the Sinai back in a Treaty. Yet, very few people know about it because the discovery of that oil was new and the peace destroyed the process of developing this further, and the Egyptians were not interested, or didn't have the resources to pursue it, but they have Taba as a resort in which now Mubarak is ensconced.

Hugs too,
Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 10:59:10 PM PDT
Rachel

"Did you get that of being an enabler dear?"

They patched it up a couple of times ... and then kept breaking it. They are quite stubborn enough without my enabling them. A factor which is of no concern to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 11:02:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 8:45:12 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Gregory:
Shall we starts about the Poles and this is my area of study in the interwar period. If so, then the post would be very long.

Yet, a professor of Psychology told us this joke, but with Coca Cola; The bottles in Poland say at the bottom of the bottle open the other way.

A Jewish Joke: A mother gave his son two ties. His son, to make her happy, put on a tie and went to show it to her. Immediately she said: " OY Vey...... you don't like the other one! "

The interesting person for me in Poland is Ratti who later became Pope Pius XI. This is a career that went fast for Ratti- from a librarian, to an ambassador of peace to Poland. Pilsudski was annoyed because the Vatican didn't send a higher level person, and Ratti was made Nuncio immediately to appease Poland. Then he, Ratti, got involved with the issues of Upper Silesia, and the Vatican recalled him and made him and Archbishop in Milan, a year or two later he was a Pope. There is no Pope with this feat in the Vatican. He is an interesting person in more ways than one.

Rachel :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 11:03:51 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Gregory:

Question:

How much of Romney's money is in Mexico- since his family spent time there?

He thinks that Spanish speaking will give him a leg in the race. I don't think so.

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 11:06:22 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Surfing:

I want to be a buttinsky, I think it is not good for you to be in that position. :-)

Rachel

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 11:28:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 8:46:14 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Recipe:
South African Recipe
1 chicken 3 to 4 pounds cut in quarters or 1/8th pieces.
Salt and pepper to taste.
I cup of white dry wine.
a bottle of Curry.
a bottle honey.
I medium onion cut in round rings.

Prepare the oven in a 400 degree setting.
Get the chicken salted and with pepper to taste.
Put chicken in a dish covered with aluminum ( this to be able to clean the mess later more easily).
Pour the wine all over and under the skin.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
While the chicken is baking in your oven, take a bowl and mix honey and curry, The recipe originally called for less curry, but I ended up with a good combination: I tablespoon of curry and 4 of honey, in other words the curry should not overwhelm the honey to make is smooth. The mixture should be indeed smooth.
Think of preparing a big batch of this mixture to cover all the chicken pieces inside the skin and out.

Pour your mixture over the chicken as directed at the 35 minutes the chicken was baking in the oven, and bake for other 20 to 25 minutes depending on how done you like your chicken.

I augmented this recipe by doing something else: put the oven higher at 450- 500 degrees for at least five minutes so that the skin acquire crispiness. Do not over do this check, but this last step gives it a crispy glaze and it is yummy.

Serve with rice.
It can be either white rice plain, or you can use mango chutney and chopped in pieces almonds to make it elegant.
* Fry the three cups until golden. rice a little and then put the chutney and the almonds. Fry for a few seconds and then put the rice in a dish that can take the oven- like corning ware- put in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 250 degrees and take out before it is a mush.
Or you can use the plain rice as Chinese boil it, and get the wine that is left in the chicken dish and pour over the plain rice.
Serve with the leftover wine that you made the chicken with.

Enjoy. Let me know when you make it if it came out.

G'night
Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 3:45:11 AM PDT
Greg: Losing Clemente in that plane crash was a tragedy to the sports world not just baseball. I think he was coming back from doing some
charity work.
George Herman Ruth: Of course the greatest baseball player that ever lived. A lot of people don't know he had a sterling career as a pitcher to go
from a pitcher to a hitter like he was will never be equaled.

I am a history buff, but I am not into current politics, Romney not releasing his tax returns is a huge mistake. I could care less if he paid taxes
or has money off-shore as long as it is legal.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 3:59:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 3:59:59 AM PDT
Rachel: PBS on DVD has a series called Empires: The one on Napoleon is 4 hours and covers his life from childhood to his exile. Excellent learning
DVD. The circumstances with Hitler and Napoleon in Russia are completely different.

Getting a gold in gymnastics is a great achievement. Notice the size and age of the girls that compete,there is a big sacrifice in mental and
physical development that goes into getting to that point.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 5:36:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 5:36:56 AM PDT
Talking with posting friends: Cal Ripen Jr.'s 74 year old mom kidnapped for no reason that he can think of. She was found tied up in the back seat of
her own car unharmed.
A terrifying event to me,something we can all relate to.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 7:59:54 AM PDT
Rachel, when you talk curry and sherry, how much is that one bottle? Curry powder or extract or fresh. Are sherry and curry brands important?

I learned the hard way that Aleppo pepper is quite a bit different from red pepper.

It sounds rather Indian (perhaps Sikh or Hyderabadi) or Pakistani rather than South African. But then again there were quite a few Indians imported into SA.

It sounds wonderful. I have some pretty young kids who are excessively picky about spices. Where is this meal on the pungency scale?

Thanks, now I have to figure out what to do with all of that saffron.

To get the glaze, can you broil it or is that too hot?

Questions re rice (my least expert thing)

* Fry the three cups until golden."

Raw uncooked rice? If so, how long?

"Or you can use the plain rice as Chinese boil it"

You will have to pardon my ignorance, but I don't know how the Chinese do it.

"and get the wine that is left in the chicken dish and pour over the plain rice."

This sounds good.

I am still trying to figure out what to do with the saffron I have.

Perhaps we should start a forum dedicated to nasty food that are ethnically related centuries ago. My favorite nasty stuff being czernina and golumki the way my aunts made it. When I was a kid, made me want to throw up (no exaggeration) my dad loved this stuff and I couldn't even look at it.

Perhaps, that would be a great threat "History of food as told through the eyes of starving people who will eat almost anything"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 8:11:22 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Well, except for Pete Rose; he didn't get the nickname "Charlie Hustler" because he was a good baseball player.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 8:25:42 AM PDT
Bubba says:
Warren B. in C. B. says: "Rachel: PBS on DVD has a series called Empires:"

It is available for free viewing at
http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/

The entire series is available for free viewing at
http://www.pbs.org/empires/

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 9:51:25 AM PDT
vespasian says:
Pete, malta was a problem for the Germans. But after the horrendous looses of airbourne troops on Crete, Hitler wasnt having anymore of island hoping. What he needed was something akin to The USMC and USN..vesp

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 9:56:17 AM PDT
vespasian says:
greg, Romneys in a pickle. By being this stubborn this early, I can only think that he's hiding something that might deny him the nomination. There is no way he's not going to get hammered by the Dems on his finances during the general election. He's playing right into the Dems game plan and scaring the hell out of the Reps. . getting a few jewish and Polish votes aint gonna help if you make 25 mill per year and pay1-3% taxes. It just smells bad and the Reps know it,,,,vesp

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 10:00:49 AM PDT
vespasian says:
Greg, Thats fine re: the babe, until you compare him top the rest of the players in the leagues. How many players have hit more homeruns in a years than other entire teams--one!!, The guy was a miracle..Besides, if you are looking for "complete player" why do you limit it to either/or--because there is only guy that was a potential HOF pitcher and everyday player...vesp

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 11:48:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 1:59:27 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Warren dear,

A no vote in a plain recipe that I was asked by Surfing? Wow!

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 11:56:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 1:10:57 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Warren:

Yes, to both parts of your post. I had a teacher in high-school that was enamored with Napoleon. She even told us that she must leave the subject and go on or she will not finish the course and be thrown out!
Of course, their adventures to Russia were different and had different circumstances, bur people love to repeat that Hitler should have learned from Napoleon. Nope. In reality we don't learn that way, we must pass through the experience ourselves. I learned that while parenting and allowing my kids to do the same mistakes despite the warnings :-)

I was extremely good for swimming, ready to train in the Israeli Olympics called Maccabiads. Yet, my father vetoed more training. I was more than upset. Yet, as you point out, now retrospectively, knowing
the sacrifices, maybe my dad was correct. :-)

Yet, it is great that an African American Girl won. :-)
The Jewish girl put Hava nagilah to her routine, but behaved admirably when she did not win.

I still did not grasp how they took away points from this and that. Do you have further information on this?

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 11:57:51 AM PDT
Rachel says:
Yes, we can!

Question: Since I came to Baltimore I came to love the Orioles, but I don't remember their players.

Do You?

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:05:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 2:02:59 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Dear Surfing:
First note a no vote on the recipe. Gosh!

It doesn't matter what brand of wine you use.
Curry in powder, so that it melts nicely with the honey.

Who knows the origin, it was given to me by my SA friend. You might be right.
As for the spiciness, we loved to truly taste the curry, but you can put less of curry and more honey to your own taste, that is trial and error. 4 to one Tablespoons is what I came with
Broiling the skin would be way too much. You just want a golden glaze.

I use long grain rice, like Carolina rice. So yes, not the pre-cooked one, I hate that.

Measure the rice, and fry it in a frying pan on low heat, standing there and tossing the rice gently until all the grains are golden. Pour water and Chicken powder to the rice, The water should come up a little more above the amount of rice, cover with a top and let it boil in slow flame.Then you place it to a Corning ware type of dish for the pre heated oven- it is usually between twenty and twenty five minutes in the oven. When done serve it as a side dish with the curry chicken.
Let it bake until the grains are separate. Don't let it go further or the bottom of the dish will have burned rice.

If you have been to a Chinese Restaurant, for me a Kosher one- their rice comes packed, so that means that they just boiled it and served it. That is steamed. If you taste it, it has no spices, right? Hence, the suggestion of using the leftover wine of the chicken recipe that is already combined with the honey and curry once you baked the rice. And that is why you just put it on a few minutes in a very high temperature so that this great mixture does not evaporate and you have leftover to toss over the rice with the onions, that got the incredible taste of the curry itself.

Have you read a book called Food in History by Reay Tannahill. With this book we don't need a forum on this.
Yet, my favorite is the story of the tea and the improvement of health in Europe.

Finally, if you want to make Mexican rice the directions are similar: Get your rice golden, say three cups of rice. Same low heat, and tossing carefully so that all rice grains are golden. Meanwhile open a can of tomato sauce and mix it with three cups of water and some salt and pepper. When the rice comes to a slow boil, pass it to a Corningware dish an bake it in the oven for 15 to twenty minutes.
Serve with chicken and Mole sauce. Do you know how to do this?

You can use the same way the saffron with chicken soup, use wine, and do the same as with the curry recipe. Curry and saffron are similar in that sense.

Let me know if you need some more advice.
Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:08:04 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Than you Bubba;

I will, but later, as I pointed out a few posts before, my husband is being operated due to the neck's vertebra. An operation that is called fusion. It will be done in Manhattan and then he has to recuperate home. I don't think I have a time to dwell in this now, but I will do so later. Gracias.

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:08:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 1:30:08 PM PDT
Jeedgr says:
Hi Rachel, their greatest team in the 1960's had Andy Etcheavira, Brooks Robinson, and another Robinson, Boog Powell, a few others and coached by Weeb Eubank. They were mostly second rate players on other teams. The team was picked under the guidance of their greatest fan, Milton Eisenhower. Milton had Wendell Garner, then a psychologist and head of the Institute of Cooperative research pick up the player scoring sheets (hand penciled documents at that time) to go through and advise which pitchers to pick, then to help check out and design different playing strategies. The latter resulted in a book "Percentage Baseball"; the Orioles were accused of cheating by using computers to analize their and other teams. How do I know this? I was running a research project using massive data analysis (and what was known then as systems analysis) and worked with Wendell on this "in our spare time"; you bet it was if the President of the University wanted to know the answer it was surprising where spare time came from. Milton himself would walk the four blocks to Memorial Stadium usually taking some undergraduate students with him.

Their most difficult opponent? Harmon Clayton Killebrew; Hammerin Harmon of the Milwaukee Brewers. Harmon hit the longest ball ever hit in Memorial Stadium, played three positions for a good number of years and his record defied any Statistic that could be devised. My vote for greatest player would be Harmon!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:09:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2012 8:52:18 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Vespasian: add a few Latino votes since he speaks Spanish.
Romney does have BIG problems.
His handlers are not advising him well.

Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:22:48 PM PDT
Rachel says:
Warren B:
Re reading posts and politicians:

Re the Vatican- and yes that is politics too.

Do you know that Pius XI installed all this new communication ways in the Vatican, but never used them. He was afraid of them. I find this historic detail quite interesting :-)

Rachel :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:27:32 PM PDT
Rachel; ???? Not me,if I had my printer I would have printed it out to give to some friends of mine. I seldom use the yes,no on any forum and now
never on this one.
The operation on your husband is common,should be no problem at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:32:10 PM PDT
V: I agreed with your post about Romney. My fearless forecast was that he would be a shoo-in,now I have my doubts, since he has been down
this road before he should know all the game rules. Almost three more months of this: this is why we have DVDS and computers.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the History forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  History forum
Participants:  166
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions