Customer Discussions > Holiday Music forum

Looking for CD of traditional Christmas "hymns"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:22:43 AM PST
danielnewlun says:
Not sure that this counts as a hyme...but quite a few churches are using this new song I wrote this year. You can get it right here on amazon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3K2DqrJEgU&feature=plcp Reason for the Manger

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 12:08:20 PM PST
Joshua says:
I would say you should try Www.faithmusicmissions.org. They're not the best, but I haven't found any better so try that site and click the Christmas tab.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 4:11:30 PM PDT
Mike D. says:
You might enjoy the Daughters of St. Paul. Their website is www.pauline.org. They can also be found at iTunes.

Mike D.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 6:53:02 PM PDT
may I recommend some traditional (and some) Arabic Christmas music :)
Talj el Milad
and
Jayee Papa Noel

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007 7:37:15 PM PST
The best one would be Mario Lanza: all traditional carols.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2007 1:15:15 AM PST
SteelerOpera says:
Hello, I think you might enjoy my Christmas album. Jason Budd - A Classic Christmas. I too was longing for a Christmas CD that had these wonderful carols performed the classic way, as you would expect to hear them at Christmas Eve Mass - so I made my own :)
I a a professional operatic bass-baritone and hope you will check out my site for audio clips and more details. Not trying to spam anyone, but I saw your post and thought my cd would be the perfect thing for you :)
take care,
Jason Budd
www.JasonBudd.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007 12:04:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2007 12:28:41 PM PST
Jay C says:
Look no further than Michael W. Smiths first two Christmas albums. Christmas and Christmastime they are classics. Also a CD called Noel Christmas at kings is absolutely stunning feels like your in church.These appear to fit your qualifications.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 1:54:16 PM PST
Alemor says:
St. Olaf's Choir has made several Christmas Albums (I think I may have ALL of them) and, being a Lutheran University Choir, do tend toward the religious and not the secular. Their music is uplifting and beautifully performed. Some selections are male voices, but most selections are mixed choral.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 1:18:41 PM PST
J. L. Price says:
I think you would like John Michael Talbot's "Birth of Jesus: A Celebration of Christmas." It contains hymns like "Of the Father's Love Begotten" "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" and "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence." It does make use of a choir but they serve more as a background to JMT's vocals.

I also love Josh Groban's "Noel", but as the previous poster mentioned it does have a few secular songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 9:04:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2007 9:07:31 PM PST
Koddee says:
Try this site - very nice music! (www.RussellShead.com)
His CD is called "Strings of Christmas." It is a "Christian" CD of true CHRISTmas carols. He also has a CD of Christian hymns entitled, "Strings of Faith." It's one of my favorite CD's.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 1:29:12 PM PST
M. Kennedy says:
Cynthia, if you want a male soloist, try Thomas Hampson's Christmas album, available on Amazon. I agree with the people who recommended various choirs (King's College, Robert Shaw), they are excellent, but if you don't like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, you may not like the other choirs either. Christmas with Thomas Hampson

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 7:49:45 AM PST
Nancy Green says:
Candlelight Carols by Trinity Church Choir is very good (and old in my collection).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 2:59:47 AM PST
Try looking for 50 songs of Christmas Vol 1 and 2. There are beautiful carols in there, no Christmas fluff. It's not very easy to find though. You may also find it in two separate albums called 25 songs of Christmas.
Some of my favorites from this: Debby Boone's version of O Come All Ye Faithful, Jesus is Born and This Little Child by Scott Wesley Brown, Michele Pilar's It Came Upon A Midnight Clear/Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (her voice is pure and beautiful), Angels We Have Heard On High and What Child Is This?, Michael Card singing Joseph's Song, Pure Crystal Rose by Kids Of The Kingdom, The Magnificat and Forever Will I Sing (Psalm 89) by John Michael Talbot and He Shall Be Born by Wendy and Mary. These are not only your traditional carols but some lovely additions that will soon become your favorites, because they are beautiful and very much in the true spirit of Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 9:13:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2007 9:19:24 AM PST
Salvo Pell says:
If you don't have a problem with operatic type voices, I'd suggest "Christmas with Mario Lanza." It has a couple of secular songs (O Christmas Tree, God Rest You Merry Gentlemen) but the majority are "traditional." It also includes an oddity that is worth mentioning: A tender and beautiful song called "Guardian Angels" written by - hold on! - Harpo Marx! If you're not dead set against choral recordings, I'd recommend "The Holly and the Ivy" from the Royal Scottish Orchestra and Chorus with John Currie directing. It's a seasonal favorite of mine for decades and has even won praise from friends who don't ordinarily go for that type of thing. Good luck and enjoy the holidays.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 10:01:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2007 10:02:59 AM PST
Well, you could try classic Christmas albums by Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, The Carpenters, etc. They have some traditional stuff mixed with some secular stuff.

The top Christmas album for this year is Josh Groban's "Noel". He mostly sings stuff like Ave Maria, The First Noel, O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night. Does have some secular stuff (I'll Be Home For Christmas, Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) but nothing like Frosty The Snowman or Jingle Bells.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 6:56:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2007 6:57:26 PM PST
Blayde, that's not at all the type of thing this person is inquiring about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 12:01:18 PM PST
Cynthia,
I highly recommend soloist soprano Leontyne Price's CD: "Christmas Songs".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:55:26 AM PST
rhysworth says:
i would reccomend for some listening to xm radio`s classical Chrismas channel,channel 106,if you have access to xm. they offer truly inspiring Chrismas music that you would have a hard time finding anywhere else.their selections are excellent and the wide variety of artists featured just can`t be beat,in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:05:41 AM PST
Operaman! says:
You simply cannot do better than a CD with Robert Shaw's Chamber Singers entitled "Songs of Angels, Christmas Hymns and Carols" on Teldec, all perfectly traditional and sacred music for Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 10:02:05 PM PST
Gelbkreuz says:
Hi Cynthia,

Check out the CD by Tina Lambert named an A Cappella Noel. You can also hear sample tracks at www.myspace.com/tinalambertmusic

and even more at http://cdbaby.com/cd/tinalambert

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2007 8:44:35 PM PST
Blayde says:
Try Nat King Cole, Vic Damone, Currier & Ives Holiday Collection, all bought cheaply at drugstore chain. Look for those and other compilations, usually available this time of year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2007 5:07:11 PM PST
Yi-Peng says:
I wonder if you could consider the King's College Choir, a 30-voice choir that represents the best of English and European sacred choral music. The blend of 16 boy sopranos, 4 male altos, 4 tenors and 5 basses is beautiful and exquisite, and it conveys a certain old-world charm. There are several carol recitals, but I would recommend the one conducted by their current conductor, Stephen Cleobury, the CD called O Come All Ye Faithful.

Initial post: Nov 22, 2007 5:24:54 PM PST
I'm looking for a CD of the kind of carols that are sung in many churches during the holiday season - carols written about Christ, the true meaning of Christmas - No snow falling or bells jingling or other purely secular holiday music - any suggestions?

P.S. for some reason I don't like the sound of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - I think I'm looking for a soloist, preferably male.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Holiday Music forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions