Customer Discussions > Holiday Music forum

Please help me find a Christmas song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 139 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2007 7:46:50 AM PDT
Bill Mobley says:
I decided to start early this year. Anyone familiar with a song that starts: "Once upon a Christmas Eve..." It's a guy singing, and he sort of sounds like Gordon Lightfoot. This is a beautiful Christmas song, but I can never find it anywhere, on nobody's CD, Tape or anything. But they play it at least once every year at Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 8:52:27 PM PDT
The only Christmas song that I can think of that kind of starts off that way is one by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, where Kenny Rogers starts off talking "Once upon a Christmas...". I finally found it on cd used at a craft show, where the vendor was selling some used cds.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2007 12:17:36 PM PDT
suzyQ says:
Try this, sound familiar?
http://www.oldielyrics.com/christmas/once_upon_a_christmas.html

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2007 8:59:55 PM PDT
Bill Mobley says:
Thanks SuzyQ, but that's not the song I'm looking for. I can think of a few more of the lyrics:
"Once upon a Christmas eve....
Christmas is a happy time when
I was yours and you were mine..."
He ends by saying:
"Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas...
I was yours and you were mine."

I hope I can find this song this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 2:43:58 PM PDT
Gina Jones says:
Bill,
Try calling/emailing your local oldies radio station and asking the DJ for help. My local station here in Los Angeles (KRTH 101 FM) helped me a few years back.
Happy Holidays

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 6:10:00 AM PST
Bill Mobley says:
I saw a "Once Upon A Christmas Eve" in Amazon. I got excited, but it wasn't the one either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007 1:49:22 PM PST
Hi Bill,

I have followed your request from your first posting and have been looking unsucessfully for the song for you. Please post on this site the name of the song should you ever find it. I, too, would like to know the name of the song. Thanks.
Joanne

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 12:53:31 PM PST
I thought of some more:

you made me laugh, you made me smile, you made me happy all the while, you made it merry christmas?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 1:42:27 PM PST
M. Kennedy says:
Bill, have you called anyone at the radio station where you heard it? It could be a local artist. I have tried googling some of the lyrics you quote, and nothing comes up that sounds like that song.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 7:39:07 PM PST
I have also done the same by googling some of the words and was also unsuccessful. I would like to know the name of the song, if ever found just for peace of mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 11:30:39 PM PST
I have been searching for days for this exact song. Actually, I started the search last Christmas season but was unsuccessful. Apparently I'm not the only one looking for it. This song used to be played every day during the holiday season on WPCH 94.9 FM in Atlanta, but last year that easy listening station changed to a country format, and I fear that now I will never figure out how to find it. It is my favorite Christmas song, and I am desperately trying to find it. However, I thought the first line was "Once Upon a Christmas Tree," not "Eve."

Some additional lines of lyric in random order are :

Merry Christmas, How I miss us, sitting 'neath(?) the Christmas tree . . . .
Christmas is a happy time, when I was hers and she was mine . . .
Now I decorate alone . . .

Back in the mid-1990s, WPCH radio put out an annual Christmas CD. I believe that the artists featured on these CDs were all from Atlanta. This song was on one of those CDs, so I believe the male artist was from or still lives in the Atlanta area.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 3:27:35 PM PST
Is 96.7 playing Xmas music? Check out http://www.peach949.com/main.html.

maybe contact them w/ the lyrics we all have here and ask if they know it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 4:18:31 PM PST
Susan,

I believe Peach 94.9 moved to 96.7, so they might still know the song?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 6:20:52 AM PST
Bill Mobley says:
Yes Xmas music, That is the song! I search for this song each year and cannot find it.
Also, Thanks Joanne for helping me search for the song, and thanks also M. Kennedy, and Gina too. Thanks to all of you for your responses.
I'm still looking, and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 6:28:33 AM PST
Bill Mobley says:
Susan you are probaby right. I think it is "Once upon a Christmas Tree," not "Christmas Eve."
I wish I could find the WPCH CD you mentioned. Last year I did not hear the song once, and my Christmas (while joyful and all that stuff) just wasn't complete. If I can't purchase the CD I hope to hear it at least once this year.
I wish I knew the name of the CD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 6:58:55 AM PST
Hi Bill and Susan,
Just to let you know that I just got the brain storm to e-mail the radio station that Susan mentioned played the song and put together a CD with the song on it. Let's hope that I get a reply and can give the both of you a pre-holiday present.
Joanne

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 7:12:34 AM PST
Bill, I think you were responding to me not Xmas music. I am Sue from Atlanta. Apparently we have both been desperately looking for this very sad, very obscrure song. I think our search may be coming to an end. I have just contacted an Atlanta LiteFM station by email in hopes of identifying our song. I'll let you know if they respond by playing it and if they respond to my email with the title and artist as I requested. You may want to click on the link above that XMASMUSIC1234 supplied. It will direct you to the 96.7 station here in Atlanta. You can play their live feed through your computer (as I am currently doing) and I bet you'll hear this song in the next few hours. A big thank you to XMASMUSIC1234 for telling me about 96.7LiteFM. Without WPCH here in Atlanta, I had been using my iPod and listening to XM holiday radio instead of local radio. While I was typing just now I heard the station ask for holiday requests. Clearly, they are willing to play our song it if they have it. I'll keep you posted.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 10:01:12 AM PST
HI BILL AND SUSAN....GOOD NEWS...I FOUND OUT THE NAME OF THE SONG AND ARTIST FOR YOU. As I wrote earlier, I e-mailed the radio station and this was the reply I got back.... Joanne
Not having been here at the time that song was playing... and it being a local artist... sent me on a rather wild hunt... But, I've got you an answer!
Once upon a Christmas Tree is by Cy Timmons
Ragen

Mystery Solved! Joanne

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 11:02:18 AM PST
Not fair!!! Not fair!!! I wrote to the radio station before you did and they didn't reply to me! Great Job, Joanne. Thank you. I have been searching the web since getting the information, and there is nowhere that I see a CD for sale. So, I just called Mr. Timmons in North Carolina. The realty office that he works at says that he welcomes interest in his music and will be calling me back when he returns to the office this afternoon. So, how many CDs do we want? I'll be glad to have him ship a few to me and then I can ship them out to whomever wants one. Is anyone interested in Christmas CDs other than the one that has our particular song? Sue in Atlanta

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 12:18:19 PM PST
Hi Susan,
I think we both e-mailed the radio station (Clear Channel) about the same time. You made a request and I e-mailed a name that was under "contact" on the the radio station site.
I never heard this song nor of the artist who sings it. By Bill's request I knew that he was desperately looking for this Christmas song, and I thought I would try to help him find it, and I DID! I am glad that I have solved the mystery for both of you. Maybe someday I'll hear the song playing on the radio here in Boston. Happy Holidays!
Joanne

p.s. Let me know the cost of the CD. I may buy one. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 9:02:34 PM PST
Bill Mobley says:
I would like one, Susan. Please let me know how everything turns out. And thanks so much Joanne.

And Susan when I left work today I tuned into 96.7, but the reception was so bad that I could hardly hear it at times. I kept listening though. Even though they never played "Once Upon a Christmas Tree," I still found myself enjoying the holiday selections they were playing. It was so much better than the "Let-it-Snow and Chestnut-Roasting-on an-open-fire of the other stations in Atlanta. I like both of these songs but not 100 times a day. (I once heard 3 different artist sing "Let It Snow" in about a one hour period). I hate that I can't pick up 96.7 more clearly, they seem to have such a better variety of holiday music.
I'll play it on my computer at home.

If you like the song "Once Upon a Christmas Tree," you might like Judy Collins Christmas at the Biltmore DVD also.
I love Christmas folk and country a lot. Dan Fogleburg put out a Christmas CD a few years ago, but it was a little disappointing.
So I guess they haven't played "Once Upon..." yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 9:09:35 PM PST
Bill Mobley says:
Oh and thanks also M. Kennedy. Yes I tried Googling the song a number of times, but came up with nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007 8:17:25 PM PST
G. Hartness says:
I really want his CD if if does have Once Upon a Christmas Tree. I remember going to his cafe when I was in high school and wacthing him play. He was great. I live in Atlanta too. Please let me know more details about the CD or a way to contact him in NC. Thanks, Sue Gayle

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2007 8:16:46 PM PST
Linda says:
now i'm curious after all this discussion -- i want to hear it -- how much is that cd and how does one go about ordering it ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 4:24:48 AM PST
M. Kennedy says:
Thanks to those of you who found out Cy's name! I googled his name and found him online including his email address - I emailed him and here is his reply:

Hi Marjie,
I'm having a web-site built right now but if you could send $20.00 to me;
Cy Timmons, PO Box 303, Scaly Mountain, N. Carolina, 28775. Thank you so much for trying to get in touch with me and for liking my song.
Oh Yes, Just mention the Christmas CD and by the way that includes all shipping
and Handling.
All My Best,
Cy T.

I am going to order one, and now you guys know how to get one too!

Marjie
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Holiday Music forum (81 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Holiday Music forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  139
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions