Customer Discussions > Home Improvement forum

Favorite American Made Products!?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 129 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2012 9:32:02 AM PDT
Scooby Doo says:
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone here has some american made products worth bragging about?

I'd like to be able to find every basic product from an american made company if possible.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:33:40 AM PDT
Scooby Doo says:
for example this Flatscreen wire hiding kit is made in america, as well as this Extension Cord

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 10:35:07 AM PDT
My Acura TL. Made in Marysville Ohio.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:16:20 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Estwing striking tools

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 9:17:59 PM PDT
Vitamix high speed blenders are fabulous and still made in Cleveland, Ohio. Have been there for over 90 years.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:36:43 AM PDT
Mech25 says:
Leatherman Multi-tools. Excellent quality. Much better than Gerber. Also, Ingersoll Rand Air tools, and Snap-On hand tools. All made in the USofA!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 4:34:07 AM PDT
lol you fool, go look under the kick panel, look at the wiring that says MADE IN CHINA, go look at windshield wiper motor, MADE IN CHINA, there isnt a single vehical thats 100% american made. and im talking to the point where the paint, primer and everything is made in the USA. My truck was assembled in the USA, but made in china, japan, taiwan, the list goes on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 4:43:35 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Don't be a boor, Brandon. Of course we know the Ohio-made Honda/Acura products are made with components and sub-assemblies from other places, but our Accord was made in Ohio using 70% US content. That's more US content than many "American" brands like the Ford and GM models we considered before buying the Accord. Ultimately we decided based on the various dealers' sales staffs. It's no good doing business with liars.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:52:45 AM PDT
LCW says:
handmade garden tools from Fisher Blacksmithing in Bozeman, MT

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:45:53 PM PDT
Sharon says:
BOSE Sound System is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 11:38:35 PM PDT
While your comments about vehicle content are correct, I have to chuckle about what you say made your ultimate decision.
Okay so maybe something about the hiring process at Acura dealerships has them ending up with car salesmen a little less sleazy than the competition.
I'm not there to line up dates for prospective grooms for my daughter! I'm going to be talking to that salesman for a couple of hours and that's the last I'll see of him. He's not going to have any pull with warranty service or campaigns covering something after if he even still works there. More importantly most car salesmen really don't know a lot about what they are selling- the technical aspects, what features are new each year, etc.
It really sounds like this decision process had you getting sweet talked by the best BS'rs in the industry. If anything I would say you already made the wise decision to purchase a well constructed and engineered vehicle, this would be expected of an Acura, or Honda, or Lexus, or Toyota- and more than a handful of Buick, Ford, or even BMW products.
Looking for integrity in your car salesmen is a lot like choosing your politician because he's convinced you he's honest and will finally clean up in Washington. He almost certainly was just a better liar and in the rare chance your district really elected an honest congressman well congratulations you're screwed. Your district will see its federal dollars in projects dwindle to a trickle as the good old boys cut him out of the appropriations process.
Just figure that Acura saleman was selling Nissans last month and in a year you'll see him selling Cadillacs or Kias. You're not driving him but he was one of the palms you had to grease to get what you are driving.
Some of this hinges on your available credit BTW. People with stellar credit can usually waltz in to the dealership and may even have their deal locked in before the salesman enters the picture. If not every bank wants your business the integrity of the salesman becomes important because if he knows you are at their mercy and doesn't have to give you any break- particularly if you seem emotionally motivated to get that new car soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 11:53:48 PM PDT
I won't repeat what most audio enthusiasts hold as a truism about Bose products and those who purchase them.
I don't even hold Bose with the contempt most of them do, a product by Bose at any given time was usually slightly better sounding than most of what the consumer might find in the general marketplace.
That being said Bose was built on marketing first, hoping its consumers knew little about good audio second, and on cutting edge engineering, a distant last. The level of performance in a Bose product can usually be surpassed by a competitor's for half the price or less. Some of their products (the 901 series speaker system a perfect example) were so quirky they required Bose include equipment considered unnecessary by anyone else in the industry just to deal with their shortcomings- and STILL underperformed.
I'm not going to tell anyone their Wave table radio or whatever sounds bad, for a table radio it sounds damn good. Or those cute little cubes they want you scattering around to guess where the sound comes from. But if they took what they paid for it and looked around at what else they could have had for the same price and got to hear it, to the last customer they'd surely wonder what they were thinking when they bought it.
(a lot of reply for your 4 word post but you said BOSE. most in the know will understand)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:03:06 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 12:05:24 AM PDT
Topic: JB WELD!

Tide laundry detergent.

Craftsman tools.

Just about any Jet Fighter produced in the last 40 years.

The Chevrolet Corvette.

Up until a few years ago, Milwaukee Power Tools. I've never been so impressed as I was the day I brought home a Magnum corded power drill. In 30 years I expect it will still be able to break your arm if you weren't careful with it.

My Dewalt air compressor is kicking trouble free over a decade after purchase.

Frankly though now if I see a US made product on the shelf next to a Chinese one and the prices are similar, I have to scrutinize that American one really closely and can only wonder what they compromised upon to offset the Chinese mfr's ability to trash their environment and enslave their workforce. A big consideration remains the bulk of the product. A refrigerator freezer for instance has such a cost to ship that is added to the markup that it offsets the other cost factors. Is this why LG washer/dryers are so expensive, or are they really better?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:29:14 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Until a few years ago, Thomas air compressors (US-made) were the best job site compressors available. After their maker Rietschle Thomas was bought by Gardner Denver, the larger firm decided to stop making them and stopped making repair parts for them too. So it isn't always advisable to choose US-made products even if they're the best quality available at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 12:42:51 AM PDT
Sounds like they did what's common in industry, got a competitor with a better product? Buy them and bury them. Problem solved. I think Dewalt bought Emglo compressors, wonder what the result of that was....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:33:56 AM PDT
J. Flynn says:
Uh, Check your Craftsman tools. They are mostly China now. A secret is to buy new, old stock, off of E-bay. I just bought a bunch of Craftsman stuff that was USA made from E-bay while my local Sears had the same set but made in China. The easiest way to tell is the really shiny chrome is always made in China!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 7:39:36 PM PDT
Country Boy says:
Buck knives are mostly US made!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:46:43 PM PDT
Lie Nielsen woodworking tools. Amazing quality and incredible guarantee.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 5:47:21 AM PDT
tica says:
Tervis brand insulated tumblers and mugs. Go to their website and design your own. They are great quality, they are for hot and cold drinks and are microwavable.

Nordic Ware microwavable plates, bowls and my favorite, the egg muffin pan.

Both are made in the USA!

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 6:38:03 AM PDT
FOBO says:
Kershaw knives (top line models), Forrest saw blades, Annin flags (just bought stars and stripes at wally world), Moen faucets (best models), Hatteras Yachts and many other boat makers, Harley-Davidsons, Stihl chainsaws and other equipment (with some exceptions maybe)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 6:41:52 AM PDT
M. Foley says:
I am proud to make the Nail Jack and Nail Hawk right here in America!Nail Jack Tools 11NJ Nail Puller, 11-InchNail Hawk By Nail Jack Tools

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 2:01:35 PM PDT
LCW says:
NASA's entire space program....Atlas Rockets, Lunar Excursion Module, Space Shuttle, Hubble Telescope to name a few
SpaceX's Falcon Launch Vehicle Family and Dragon spacecraft

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:59:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 6:01:07 AM PDT
J. Geissler says:
ER Tape - Silicone Self Fusing Repair Tape - 2 rolls - (1.0" x .020" x 12)
All their Silicone Wire and Tape Products are formulated and manufactured right here in the USA by Rowe Industries

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:40:52 AM PDT
Dr Square says:
Many people are complaining about how poor Chinese made goods are, I wonder how many those have American made iphones, and how many of them have Chinese made iPhones?! LOL
It is not about where and who made what, it is about how well a company is willing to quality control to produce good products than good profit.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Home Improvement forum (466 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Home Improvement forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  Jun 6, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions