Customer Discussions > Home Improvement forum

best deck treatment/sealer for Pressure Treated wood - Tennessee

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 105 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 5, 2014 3:08:56 PM PDT
C. Magill says:
OK, OP here, I replaced the old deck boards and spindles on my deck with new PT wood. I put down a coat of CFW Flood natural, it only lasted about 1 year. Now 2 years later I just painted the darn deck and rails and posts with Behr Deck Over....was easy to do...just got the rollers and drop cloths out. It looks great so far...only time will tell...I only did one coat, they say to do two and I didn't wash or treat the deck beforehand....call me a fool but my fingers are crossed - if I make it 2 years and do some touchup painting I'll be happy....oh, and thanks for turning this discussion into an interesting one...

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2014 11:46:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 5, 2014 11:51:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 2:19:03 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
creosote

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2013 12:23:25 PM PDT
J. Marty says:
that's because the wood stain needs a good primer like your cabot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2013 7:56:43 PM PDT
Actually, CR does NOT rate this as the best semi transparent sealer, but rather down the list a bit (just checked). However, the user reviews for the top rated Behr product seem to indicate it is horrible, and the Sikkens is much better. I have used Sikkens and you must reapply and follow the mfg instructions which can result in excellent results.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 2:57:44 AM PDT
Gary N. Wolz says:
Sorry Chris - our experience with Sikkens Cetol is at the opposite end of the spectrum as yours.
We applied Sikkens on our cedar fence pickets and rails and cedar deck rails and balusters after sanding down to pure wood. SUPERB finish. We actually had folks stop in the street to take pictures. Wow!
Then the sun shown and the hail hit. The sun degraded the sheen - the hail disrupted the film's integrity => Mold. Mold and more Mold.
Now it peels like a spoiled onion.
So, now we sand down to pure wood ( 245 linear feet of fence and 200 ft of deck , thank you very much ).
No, my opinion of Sikkens is that it should be called SUCKENS.

Posted on Jul 15, 2013 8:03:04 PM PDT
GolferSA says:
Anyone have any experience with Rust Oleum Restore? Looks interesting...

http://rustoleumrestore.com/stain

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 10:41:34 PM PDT
David says:
Read the guarantees very carefully on deck coatings. Most of them make it very difficult to comply with their warranty. For instance Sikkens makes a very expensive two part coating that has a very long warranty. However if you read the little folded paper stuck on top of some of the cans you will find that ALL surfaces of the wood must be coated. All surfaces meaning top, bottom, ends and even all cut ends inside the deck. No one builds a deck with a painter standing by to coat every cut two separate times with color and finish. That's one way they get you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2013 10:11:28 PM PDT
David says:
Be VERY careful of the way you handle used rags, rollers or anything that has left over linseed oil mixed with anything. It will spontaneously combust and burn your house down. I have seen it happen!

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 7:59:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2013 8:03:14 PM PDT
I am looking at a product called "petrawood". It is a treament that is suppose to seal deck wood in a new way. Has anyone used this product and if so does it actually last like it says?

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 3:19:44 AM PDT
Susan says:
I purchased the Behr stain with a 10 year warranty...my deck needed staining again in 3 years! Behr claimed I had not properly cleaned the wood prior to staining; however, they did refund my money for the product. I have since learned there's really no product that can guarantee 10 years...even 5 years is a stretch!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 4:08:14 PM PDT
M. Fred says:
I'm in central Florida.

Posted on May 7, 2013 2:57:40 PM PDT
MJ28 says:
Tiffany Luongo,

check this forum.They guys there helped me a lot.

http://www.opwdecks.com/view-postlist/forum-1-how-to-advice-for-exterior-wood-restoration/topic-17-penetrating-deck-stain-questions.htm

Posted on May 7, 2013 2:49:12 PM PDT
Who has used products in Florida? We don't have snow or even cold weather but I'm wondering what is the best product for our heat, humidity and constant sun?

Posted on May 7, 2013 11:15:46 AM PDT
MJ28 says:
Why is my deck stain peeling?

http://www.opwdecks.com/why-is-my-deck-stain-peeling.htm

Posted on May 7, 2013 5:25:03 AM PDT
M. Fred says:
Our pressure-treated dock was recoated with Behr "Fence, Deck, and Siding Weatherproofing Wood Stain" in October 2010 (over a failed Cabot product), and is holding up well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 4:00:13 AM PDT
ohiotom says:
Consumer report rated Behr semitransparent best in the semitransparent category and Behr solid color Waterproofing wood stain best in the solid stain category and said that overall the solid stains hold up much better than the semitransparent stains or clear sealers. However, our daughter used the recommended Behr product on their deck and they said it was much like what many people have commented on this post that their deck is horrible and flaking and peeling in less than a year. She said that they cleaned and prepped their deck as recommended before staining. So I went back and read the fine print in the consumer report article and it said the product testing was done based on 2 coats put on over primed pine clapboard siding. Since most decks are pressure treated lumber and not primed clapboard siding I wonder if the Consumer Reports tests are not really valid on pressure treated lumber. Maybe this explains the reason why people are reporting such bad results with the highly rated Behr products?

Posted on May 6, 2013 5:10:00 AM PDT
Truth is, VOC's are heavily rated and controlled in this industry. Any oil bassed stain products, have either been reformulated heavily or discontinued.

EPA still allow's a better product for those company that register product "WOOD PRESERVATIVE"

This applies to all penetrating oil based stains, if you want hard shell or film formers and deal with eventual pealing then thats a different product.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 2:23:47 PM PDT
susieq says:
Jan, what did they rate as the best?

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2013 8:23:32 AM PDT
ohiotom says:
I don't know what consumer report issue you are reading but in June 2013 issue it rates the Sikkens Cetol SRD semitransparent stain towards the bottom of all the semitransparent stains and cost is $43 per gallon

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 7:47:57 AM PST
susieq says:
I am not going to fool with all these so called highly rated stains. Soon as the temps warm up above 55 & the humidity is down....I am going with the boiled linseed & turpentine mix. The old way is tried & true.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 3:38:28 AM PST
MJ28 says:
good luck. u are going to get on your knees and introduce yourself to every single board to remove the so called "Behr Premium".

just be sure to remove it all,or your new stain will not last no matter how good it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 11:28:47 AM PST
I used Behr Premium semi-transparent deck treatment on my pt wood deck at the Texas coast. It lasted only 1 year, now I am faced with trying to remove the residual so I can apply something else. I would not recommend this product.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:23:03 PM PST
MJ28 says:
http://www.opwdecks.com/101-wood-deck-restoration-tips.htm

check this link if you going to give your deck another chance :-) . They helped me a lot

I bought a 5 gallon TWP 1500 from them.I heard Timber oil is good too

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:51:38 AM PST
M. Fred says:
In our case, there was no old paint. We had let the dock dry out for a couple of years, then pressure-washed it and let it dry for a week or so. Never heard of a "brightener" until just now, so obviously didn't use one. All in all, we thought we had followed the directions on the can and from the store "expert". For the Behr coating, we just pressure-washed and let it dry.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Home Improvement forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  105
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions