Customer Discussions > Home Improvement forum

best deck treatment/sealer for Pressure Treated wood - Tennessee

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 105 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2011 10:56:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 10:57:26 AM PDT
C. Magill says:
On my last house I tried to get out of this task by replacing my 10 year old split/cracked deck floor boards with choice deck (composite) from Lowes. Black mold developed within a year and told me that spending 3 to 4 times the cost of a wood deck board was not necessarily the solution to a no maintenance outdoor deck. Now, at my new house I am going with plain old pressure treated wood. The question is what kind of finish do you think is best? what has worked for you and how often do you have to treat your deck?

Since I dabble in furniture making I have also had to educate myself on wood finishes. In that endeavor I found I liked Tung Oil and how easy it is to use and apply. Only thing is it is hard to find these days and now very expensive. Anyone used Exterior Tung Oil finish on PT wood outdoors before. What about Thompsons Water Sealer and all the others? What are they made of anyhow?

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 6:33:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 8:24:04 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Factor the expense and bother of regular surface treatments and occasional replacements in your calculations. Have you considered using ipe decking? It's heavy and hard to work but more resistant to rot than any other wood I know of. Self-adhering bituminous membrane, good ventilation and - if needed - sprayed-on preservative treatment such as TimBor can protect your deck's joists and beams from rot for decades under most conditions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 6:54:18 PM PDT
Modeni says:
I have heard Behr is a good stain for decks and has 5-7 year warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2011 9:20:32 AM PDT
M. Jordan says:
I used Behr about 10 years ago. It mildewed and turned black, so I had to restain the entire deck the next year! I've had success with Olympic.

Posted on Jun 29, 2011 6:54:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2011 7:14:12 PM PDT
EdMaslo says:
"One Tyme" is the best deck stain I have found for my pressured wood deck. My deck is over 20 years old so that I have tried a lot of products including Behr and Olympic. Each time I stripped the old finish from the deck and cleaned it thoroughly. Of all the products I used, even though it was top rated by a "leading consumer magazine" Behr was the worst, lasting not even 6 months. Old Tyme is a polymer resin, (I got mine from Ace Hardware). It requires UV to cure and is best applied in the summer months. I did half of my deck in mid September and it took almost a week to cure (northern Ohio). I waited until June to finish the job when it set in about one to two days depending on how much shade the part of the deck had. It is rather expensive but worth it based on its appearance after two years so far. For older decks, it does require a lot of work to strip the deck of previous treatments so that the product can penetrate the wood. One side remark: after finishing the first half of the deck, I threw the roller and brush, without bothering to clean them, in a plastic bag, put it in a box, keeping it in the dark and was able to use them 7 months later.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2011 10:25:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2011 10:27:08 AM PDT
C. Magill says:
I just looked up ipe decking. It runs about 8 to 9 times the price of PT wood by my estimates. It looks also like you still need to treat the wood, since it is a natural wood product, albeit a hardwood and expected to weather better. I would love to believe in such a product and the picture look great, however, at those prices I need to read more about it. Besides, I have already started replacing deck boards and rebuilding the weak spots on the stair stringer joists with PT wood. I will continue reading about ipe deck boards, thanks for the insight.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 10:28:17 AM PDT
C. Magill says:
Anyone use the CWF-UV Flood Finish?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 12:58:43 AM PDT
M. Jensen says:
Yes and it is decent, however don't expect more than 2 years performance before re-coating. That goes for ALL deck finishes. I was a Professional painter in Oregon and AZ for 12 yrs. and the problems are different but the lifespan is the same.
CWF-UV seemed to be a decent choice. Keep in mind that the thicker the coating the more build up and unevenness you will
get over time as you re-coat, which you will have to do. Thompson's has alot of wax in it and won't last long at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 2:19:55 PM PDT
Ed, Your advice seems to be based on real experience, and represents the best thoughts I've seen on this subject. I have an old pressure treated wood deck, over 32 years old. I,too, have treated it every other year or so with various "highly rated" products, including Behr, and Olympic. The latter was better than Behr, which didn't last a year.

However, because of the age of my deck, I really want the best preservative available, so am inclined to try the Old Tyme. I live in Northern Virgina, which has hot muggy summers, and often, quite a bit of rainy weather in the winter. Plus, I get a lot of pollen and such from many poplars and oaks overhead. In a year or two, I may have to replace the wood flooring. I am inclined to stick with pressure treated wood. In our area, the fake wood tends to mildue and discolor. Any other thoughts on tried and true experience?

Thanks. R. Ray

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 6:58:39 PM PDT
I coated a PT deck with Marine wood sealer yrs. ago.. The finish outlasted my stay at the house...3yrs. http://www.boatersplus.com/blue-water-marine-armanda-wood-finish-cleargloss-gloss.html Simular to this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 1:06:24 PM PDT
The doctor says:
I love IPE but it is not for the faint of heart or faint of wallet! I think the cost would surprise most people. But it does have remarkable qualities and is certainly a great product - if you are staying in the house a good while and/or the other houses in the neighborhood justify this sort of expenditure. NOt a cost you could recoup in sale value I'd say....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2012 4:48:34 AM PDT
I use linseed oil and turpentine at a ratio of 10-1 turps to oil I repeat this every 2 months for 3 times then It is fine for 8-9 months and the next time is when it looks needed or moister starts to be absorbe by the timber

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:29:20 AM PDT
Chris says:
The best sealer I have ever used is Sikkens Cetrol SRD translucent wood finish. This is an oil based semi-transparent finish that really last (as long as you apply acccording to mfg intructions). It cost about $35 a gallon but is well worth it when you consider that it will last 3-4 years. It does not peel off like a lot of the latex stuff. It is sold at the Porter Paint stores. Consumer reports rates it the best semi-transparent sealer out there.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 2:42:55 PM PDT
Cynthia Uhl says:
My deck is now about 7 years old. We used pressure treated white pine and Cabot's Australian Timber Oil with good success here in TN. We just did our touch up last summer but the rains that were coming so hard and fast really made it difficult to find a good application time. We're pretty pleased with the results we get from this product. You should check out the garden web deck forum for some good advice on deck coatings (you can google that forum).

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 12:41:08 PM PDT
j klega says:
I have had good success with Penofin Oil treatment here in the Pacific Northwest. Since it is just an oil, I do not have to "clean" off the old stain patches or color to apply more oil, which is nice. I can simply wash or scrub off any mildew (which we have a lot of) and reapply the oil. It darkens the wood a bit just by the nature of the oil. I have found that a soaked roller works much better than a pad, which tends to rip apart from the fibers. The roller is also wider and allows the oil to penetrate between the boards better than using the pad.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:32:24 AM PDT
Guy Huber says:
As a 20 year carpenter I have used my fair share of deck treatments.
The first thing to understand is the 3 basic types and their durability:

The first is a clear or completely see through finish, you will be lucky to get a full year out of most of these products. Unfortunately it is just the nature of the product and the damage that the suns UV rays along with weather and the constant movement of wood.

The second is semi-solid colored stain, this product should get 2-3 years depending on location of the deck and home. for example if you have trees around, direct sunlight etc...

The third is a solid colored stain, I have personally had these products last up to 8 years.

Notice that the term stain is used and not paint, paint stays on the surface and stain is absorbed into the top layer of material.

Also, regular maintenance and upkeep of your deck will also extend the life of your products. Things like not salting or shoveling to the wood on your deck in the winter, and keeping large gatherings of leaves to a minimum as the tannins in the leaves will ruin everything. Nothing to laborious.

I also prefer to use Cabot products because their decking stains contain Teflon for wear protection from foot traffic and they last far longer than any other product I have used. There are other good products available and your choice should be made on availability of product and colors, as well as personal preference.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 3:13:08 PM PDT
R. W. Kehr says:
Cabot Australian Timber Oil is the best thing I've used. Also the most expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 4:58:19 PM PDT
C. L. Terry says:
Do yourself a favor and use Trex transcend. It is bullet proof and guaranteed not to do any of the bad things or fade.
If not do what Allan Stewart suggests with the turpentine and linseed oil. It is easy to do. It is the preferred choice for wood on boats.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:55:13 PM PDT
susieq says:
wow, just read all these posts and not sure how to proceed!!! lot of varied but good advice here! lol. We just finished our deck with PT wood and I understand I need to let the wood dry out some before I stain it, but how long do I wait??? and if I go with the linseed oil and turpentine, will this give the wood some color? Do I just brush it on, let it soak in and wipe off??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:45:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2012 8:46:34 AM PDT
MJ28 says:
a good site about deck cleaning,stripping,and staining
http://www.opwdecks.com/101-wood-deck-restoration-tips.htm
u can stain when the moisture is less than 15%(Moisture Meter from Lowes for less than $20),or after 4 to 5 DRY days.

TimberOil or TWP 1500 are my 2 choices .both will keep the color of the wood specially the TimberOil

http://www.opwdecks.com/sealerstoretimberoil.htm

did you use wood brightener on your deck ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 5:44:08 AM PDT
Chris A says:
I have used CWF on wood siding and it works well,It looked good for 4 years.
I also used it on my deck and it did not hold up good to traffic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 10:19:31 AM PDT
susieq says:
Great link on deck cleaning! Thanks for sharing. I am still waiting for my PT wood to dry out enough to get some stain on it. Has been raining a lot here. Is TimberOil ok for pressure treated wood?

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:55:38 AM PDT
Cynthia Uhl says:
My treated white pine is pressure treated lumber. If you are talking about Cabot's Timber Oil, the answer is yes - it's fine on pressure treated. We used "Mahogany Flame" to give it a redwood tone. You can test it on a piece of lumber to see if you like it. In fact, I'd recommend doing that with any product you choose.

If this is a new deck, make sure you've given the timber plenty of time to "dry out" before applying any stain, oil, or treatment. Over time, heat will force any moisture left in the wood toward the surface. Applying a stain or oil too early will only penetrate so far, and that risidual moisture in the wood will work its way to the surface causing "bubbles" in your new finish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:33:54 AM PDT
susieq says:
Thank you Cynthia for the advice, we finished the deck almost 3 weeks ago, and somewhere I have read that you should wait 2 months before applying stain. So I will wait it out and try the Cabot's Timber Oil, it sounds great and l like the idea of the redwood tone!! will try it out first though. Thank you again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:57:43 PM PDT
MJ28 says:
if you need close to 5 gallons of oil .opwdecks.com will ship your order for free plus no sale tax . brown sugar looks nice.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Home Improvement forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  105
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2011
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions