Customer Discussions > Home Theater forum

Optical or HDMI pass through better for 5.1?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2012 5:25:18 PM PDT
B. Fulmer says:
I just ordered a Denon receiver and will be making my first foray into an actual 5.1 setup. On my last receiver i had my xbox and ps3 going into the tv via HDMI and then audio out to my receiver via optical. Now I am not sure if that would be the best way for me to hook up the new receiver.

What i'm wondering is if it would be that much better to use the receiver's HDMI pass-through feature to plug the HDMI from the game consoles into the receiver and then out the receiver's monitor out (also HDMI). If I do it this way then my tv would be getting the audio (and video) through the receiver.

One cool thing i noticed is that if i do hook up via HDMI then i can use the tv to see and change the receiver's settings (whereas I'd be using the small display on the actual receiver otherwise). This seems like a really small thing, however, not big enough a deal to sway me one way or another.

One thing I am considering is my ability to use the tv and consoles (hooked up via HDMI) if the receiver is not powered on? My wife doesn't want to deal with the receiver and would prefer to just use the tv's speakers to watch netflix on the ps3, for instance. If I am passing through the receiver then will that pass through still work when the receiver is powered down?

My tv is a Toshiba
Toshiba 40E220U 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black) (2012 Model)

This is the receiver I ordered:
Denon AVR-1312 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

What would you guys do? Please be kind, obviously this is not pro equipment, but I'm just hoping to get some advice on the best way to hook up this system.

I would appreciate absolutely any informed thoughts about this. Thanks so much!

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 5:02:55 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Definitely do the HDMI pass through from the Denon. Your digital audio out from your TV is only 2 ch.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Home Theater forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions