Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Home Theater forum

Emotiva or Marantz

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 28, 2012 1:55:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 2:06:30 AM PDT
Lord Colin says:
I am planning to purchase separates for the first time. I am having a hard time deciding between Emotiva or Marantz. I am considering the XPA-5 and M7055 for amplifiers. For pre/pro I am thinking XSP-1 or the AV-7005. Also for the time being if I order the UMC-1 for $500, i get a $600 coupon towards the upcoming XMC-1. For loudspeakers i am considering Revel Concerta F12's or Polk Audio RTi A9's. Thoughts and recommendations? Budget for each component $1000 (roughly) and the same for a pair of speakers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:30:46 AM PDT
KBIC says:
Think about B&W, Paradigm or energy for speakers. You should also make sure to take a trip to listen to all of these components before you buy. You should make a trip even if you don't live close to the city. Find a store that carries the stuff you want to hear. Even the electronics will color the sound. Be sure that it is something you like to hear. Bring some albums that you are familiar with to test out the music.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:28:40 PM PDT
Lord Colin says:
Thank you for responding. Are there B&W speakers in my price range? ($500 ea)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:20:46 AM PDT
KBIC says:
The B&W 684B are 550 for a pair but if you can swing it I would go with the 683B at 750 for a pair. the latter will have better bass extension mainly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:34:38 PM PDT
In the past, Emotiva had a lot of reliability problems. I looked into Emotiva several times myself, and every time I would run across threads that made me back out (though the general consensus is that it is good value when it works). I would suggest you take full advantage of their 30-day return policy and get both the amp and preamp, if you're going to invest in Emotiva, and make sure it doesn't have any deal-breaking quirks. A lot of well-known companies were dragged through the mud when they first started learning how to design for HDMI, like NAD or Cary Audio -- each had products that had set out to be the next great thing, but came incredibly short of expectations.

The great thing about mainstream companies like Marantz is that while they may not have all the fancy audiophile components, they are very experienced in dealing with the latest technologies (they do it every year with the lower end receivers). For that reason I sold my NAD, Cary Audio, Proceed pre/pro, and bought an Onkyo Integra DHC-80.2, which will stick with me for the foreseeable future. I sacrificed a little bit of audio fidelity for flawless operation and it was worth it.

I'm not saying the Emotiva is necessarily bad, but I'd always suggest playing with the products a little bit first before jumping into some of these boutique brands.
----------------
The XPA-5 vs MM7055... I know manufacturer specifications aren't always directly comparable, and I don't feel like doing in-depth research for you (sorry), but from what I could tell the XPA-5 has more power, is more stable (down to 4-ohms), weighs twice as much (usually a good thing... typically the power supply is the heaviest component), has a longer warranty (5 years vs 3 years, both limited) -- all for a lesser price.

So if it were me, between just Emotiva and Marantz, I'd buy the XPA-5, and both the UMC-1 and the AV-7005. Compare. Keep the victor, return the loser.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Home Theater forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Home Theater forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Oct 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions