Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

New Robust Area of Horror Literature - 'Weird Menace' Pulps

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 11:38:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:44:57 PM PST
Explorator says:
There has recently been a VERY important new development in horror literature. The super rare pulp horror magazines of the 'weird menace' subgenre that have commanded top dollar on the collector's market for many years have just been made available as Kindle books!

This is a HUGE development in the history of horror literature as these super rare horror magazines have been going for hundreds of dollars even for beat up copies on the collector's market.

'Weird Menace' is a term for the very first popular horror short story magazines produced in the 1930s. They were highly popular in their time but World War 2 paper shortages led to the death of the pulps and most were recycled for the war effort.

Over the years the few surviving original copies of these wild horror magazines have become extremely rare (the stories are actually quite intense and even shocking by today's standards). Well, now they have FINALLY begun to be released as Kindle books! Most of the stories have not been released since the mid-30s! There is a TREASURE TROVE of amazing horror short stories from these magazines that most horror fans have no idea even exist. Also, modern horror writers NEED to read these stories for inspiration and to see just what we've lost over the years in the way of brisk and sharp storytelling. These things are like no other horror stories I've read before. They are incredibly charming with their lurid use of horror adjectives as the writers were instructed by their editors to be as creepy as possible.

I urge any horror fans to check them out ASAP! I've been in touch with the company that released them 'Radio Archives' (a dozen 'Terror Tales' collections available so far) and they have MANY more pulps to release but everything depends on the success of the 'Terror Tales' series. There is also the possibility that they may release collections from the other rare pulp magazines 'Horror Stories' and 'Dime Mystery Magazine'. I have read some of the short stories from these titles as well and must say that they are immensely satisfying.

JUST TRY one of these collections and I'm sure most of you will be hooked by the fun and wild nature of these horror stories. They are VERY fast paced and are filled with amazing adjectives the likes of which you rarely see in modern horror and there are some incredibly cool horror ideas that should be used in modern horror movies.

The collections available now are from 'Terror Tales' (1 of the 3 main horror short story pulps - the other 2 popular titles were 'Horror Stories' and 'Dime Mystery Magazine' - mystery was often a cover word for 'horror' back in the day).

THIS IS A HUGE DEVELOPMENT people! If you only knew what you were missing you'd snatch 'em all up! At least check 'em out. You may be surprised just how wild these old pulp horror stories are:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=%22terror+tales%22&qid=1352083720&rh=n%3A133140011%2Ck%3A%22terror+tales%22&sort=daterank

Here's an example of titles from some of the 'weird menace' pulp stories:

Girls for the Coffin Syndicate
The Night the Devil Walked
Love Thirsts for Blood
Mate for a Monster
Satan Rocks the Casket
Nightmare House
Horror Feeds on Horror
A Hearse of Another Color
Dealer in Human Parts
The Hands from Hell
Coming of the Unborn Things
By Night They Creep
Brides for the Swamp God
Satan's Insidious Chessmen
Black Pool for Hell Maidens
Dig My Grave Deep!
River of Pain
Satan's Roadhouse
Monster at Play
Die, Damn You!
I'll Slay You Later

Seriously folks. How can you pass up stories with titles like these? :)

If you want to know the interesting and highly entertaining history of these rare pulps you should check out the book 'The Shudder Pulps: A History of the Weird Menace Magazines of the 1930s'

The Shudder Pulps: A History of the Weird Menace Magazines of the 1930s

Please help me keep this thread visible for a while. The main horror community needs to know about the release of these super rare pulp stories. Please help me spread the word. Thanks for reading!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions