Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Greg F. Gifune, Ever Heard of Him?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2012 10:19:17 PM PDT
ReaderLee says:
I was surprised that not too many know about him. First discovered him as the editor of a magazine called THE EDGE, then found out he was an author. First book I read of his was The Bleeding Season and have been hooked ever since.

He has more than 20 books published in the last 10-12 years, so he's fairly prolific.

Am I the only one who thinks he's good or have read him?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:13:25 AM PDT
Yes, I just won an autographed book from him from a Facebook/review contest.
I have read The Rain Dancers (Delirium Novella Series) (loved it!),
Lords Of Twilight (Delirium Novella Series) (I thought was pretty good) and GARDENS OF NIGHT which I though was ok.
On tap I have The Bleeding Season because it was on sale a week or so ago for 2.99 and I also have Heretics.
So Bleeding Season is good, eh? I am looking forward to reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 7:17:56 AM PDT
ReaderLee says:
@Charlene, I'd be interested in seeing what you think of The Bleeding Season when you finally read it. I may be partial to it because it was my first Gifune...the excitement of discovering an author so talented that was off the grid, so to speak, but TBS remains my favorite to this date.

I've never been disappointed by really anything I've read of his. If I had one single complaint (and it's minor), it would be that some of his stories seem to run closely together with others in structure and theme. But he writes so masterfully and with such atmosphere in his prose, that they all stand alone as great reads.

Besides maybe King and a few others genre-wise, I just haven't found a better, more consistent author. The difference between King + others and Gifune is that most people on this board I bet have yet to read him, which is a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 7:26:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 7:28:38 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I've heard of him and have a couple of his books, just haven't read him yet. Guess I need to push him further to the top of my very big tbr pile.

I have The Bleeding Season as well, so that will be a good read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 7:46:43 AM PDT
ReaderLee, did you like Gardens of Night? IT really didn't do much for me. Also, have you read Apartment Seven (Delirium Novella Series) ? That's another one that I'm interested in.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:11:21 AM PDT
ReaderLee says:
@Charlene: Gardens of Night was OK. I didn't like the cover and it's not his usual publisher who releases his work, but even that book was far better than most books I've read by other authors. For me, Greg falls into one of those authors that I've come to expect greatness with each book, because he has spoiled me. When I read something like Gardens of Night, I kinda had the same reaction as you (hum-drum), but then I thought...this really is still good quality fiction and worth every dime I paid.

Apartment Seven (Delirium Novella Series) was good. It was a nice modern slant to Dickens' classic work, told in Greg's own unique way. I read it around x-mas of last year, but the x-mas setting wasn't really all that prominent. It's not as good as The Rain Dancers (Delirium Novella Series) but well worth the read, IMO.

To support this author, I've decided to buy every Kindle edition for my e-library. Even though I have several limited edition hardcovers like The Bleeding Season. I plan to pick up the ebook as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 10:16:04 AM PDT
ReaderLee says:
@MommaCat: If you do get the time, I'd love to hear what you think. The great thing about Kindle and ebooks are that I can discover many new talents. The problem with this is that my tbr pile is way too big as well. I've stopped buying self-published books mostly except with a few authors who are doing quality work on their own. But most of the self-pubbers need editing awfully bad and some of the layouts are horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 10:40:11 AM PDT
Oh, we'll definitely let you know! Momma and I belong to a horror group on Shelfari, and The Bleeding Season is one of our nominated books, so we'll be getting 'round to it eventually. : )
And thanks to you, I will probably pick up Apartment Seven (Delirium Novella Series) soon.
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 11:07:43 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
I like most of the self-pubs that I read. There have only been 2 or 3 that I have actually deleted from my kindle and a very few that I have given 2 stars or less. Most get 3 or 4 stars. I buy very few mainstream authors now. Not only do they cost too much, but they write outline books. I'm much happier with all the new authors I've found. And with 700 books (and counting) to be read, I won't be running out of reading material any time soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 6:59:03 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Gifune has been on my radar for a few years now, but I've yet to add him to my TBR. The Bleeding Season looks like an obvious starting point, and rather than go Kindle, I have a used paperbook for the same price calling my name. Good topic for the forum, thanks ReaderLee.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 8:37:40 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
I've heard of him but don't know his work. I've got a Kindle freebie or two of his.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 8:59:46 PM PDT
ReaderLee says:
@Charlene: I've heard of Shelfari, but haven't signed up. Great to hear your group is in the know!

@MommaCat: You must know how to pick them, as I've had little luck with self-pubbers. I don't buy mainstream authors. I've discovered most of my authors from very good small presses over the years. Sadly, now they seem to be dying out.

@D. Sippel & Nick Jones: If you ever find the time to read Gifune, let us know your thoughts. Until I came across a few other Gifune fans on these Amazon forums, I felt like I was on an island, rah-rah-ing to myself with nobody to share my find with.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:50:53 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
Reader Lee: Both Char and I have the same taste in books pretty much. If you like horror, I'm sure we can make some recs for you. Also, do you know about ereaderiq.com? Can't hurt to just try some freebies that sound good to you.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 7:08:40 AM PDT
ReaderLee says:
MommaCat: No, never even knew a site like that existed. Thanks for letting me know. Will test it out today.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:20:47 AM PDT
Greg is a terrific writer. He's also an editor for the publishing company DarkFuse, and brought me into that fold. So I owe him... but I'd tell you he was a terrific writer even without that, because it's true.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:43:42 PM PDT
I just finished Heretics and I thought it was awesome. : )

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 11:57:09 PM PDT
ReaderLee says:
@Jeff: I've never been more excited about a new publisher than when I heard about DarkFuse. Having purchased most everything from Delirium Books and hearing its editor founded DF with Bloodletting Press editor and then finding out Greg F. Gifune was hired as one of its editors.........wow, that's like my indie dream-team publishing house. When you say 'brought me into the fold', what do you mean? Are you an editor there too or will you be published by them? I checked the DF site and didn't find anything by you so was wondering.

@Charlene: Yes, another early gem of his. Children of Chaos ranked a little bit higher, IMO, but Heretics is amazing as well.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 5:21:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 5:22:39 AM PDT
ReaderLee, he will be publishing with them. They announced it a few weeks back.
BTW, Jeff is pretty good. I really liked The Slab. Momma didn't like it as much as I did, though. : )
And I will check out Children of Chaos, thanks for the tip! Though Bleeding Season will probably be my next Gifune read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:18:11 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
It's not that I didn't like it...don't get me wrong! I was confused by it, I think. I made up my own story around it. I'd be very curious to know where Jeff got the seed of the idea.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 9:18:13 AM PDT
Shannon M. says:
The first book I read by Greg Gifune was Drago Descending, and it scared me to death! There were
several points in the books that I literally had to put it down and check out the house, just to make
sure I was still alone! Awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 10:13:58 AM PDT
Well, maybe he will pop back in and say some more about it?
That would be VERY cool. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 10:14:33 AM PDT
Shannon! I am so looking forward to reading that one! Maybe I will sneak it in before Bleeding Season? What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:20:12 AM PDT
MommaCat says:
That would be nice! Once I got the picture in my head I couldn't let it go.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 11:59:51 AM PDT
Shannon M. says:
Definitely! It's my favorite by him. The Children of Chaos was heavy and dark, but in my opinion, not as scary. I just finished Deep Night, and it left me kind of confused as to what actually happened. The ending left me a little....huh?
The Bleeding Season is next on my list now.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 12:01:01 PM PDT
Ok then! I will report back and please! You too! : )
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
192 Aug 31, 2014
What have you watched recently? 1509 1 day ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1456 2 days ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 2121 2 days ago
The Lounge 6696 3 days ago
Graham Masterton 1677 5 days ago
growing up with horror 1117 6 days ago
Halloween 12 8 days ago
Will we ever see the original WILLARD on Blu-ray? 29 8 days ago
Small town horror books? 66 11 days ago
Tracing a book 2 28 days ago
A free book for Fans of the Last of Us! (Survival Horror) 0 Dec 19, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Jun 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions