Customer Discussions > Horror forum

What have you watched recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2012 6:56:38 PM PDT
Lisa Smith says:
I can't believe they cut off such a successful topic! WTF???

I wanted to say that I liked the underlying theme of La Casa Muda better than its American remake, Silent House. The ending of the former was much more touching than the latter.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:02:30 AM PDT
Dramamine says:
All discussions are capped at 9999 posts.

I didn't see La Casa Muda but made the mistake of seeing the american remake. Oof. Even with Elizabeth Olsen they just couldn't pull it off.

Watched 'The Bleeding House' last night. I thought it was alright. It could have used some more action and/or a higher body count but it was decent enough. Thought the actors did a good job and I was glad to see an entirely unknown(to me) cast. Personally, I wish they would have used the alternate ending(the american express-sponsored ending).

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 1:31:08 PM PDT
Yes, I think I remember leaving a comment on this discussion. What is The Bleeding House about? I've only heard about it on this discussion.

I just finished the 1st part of Season 5 of Breaking Bad. I actually enjoy good series TV (of which there are few to my liking) more than movies.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 10:58:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 11:01:37 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Primal (2009) - It's slightly encouraging to know that representative Americans in horror films, you know the type: confident, good-looking, fit, completely vapid 20-somethings can be easily transmuted to other nations. For the first 20 minutes or so, these attractive Aussies take the American idiot stereotype right along those familiar rails traversed over decades of mainstream horror and hammer home how tired this approach has become over the past 30+ years. Boredom quickly ensues.

At about the 23 minute mark, suddenly it's as if the production becomes possessed by the ghost of Richard Laymon as the pacing ignites and the fragile suspension bridge of disbelief is tested over and over again in rapid succession. If you can stand the bludgeoning (many have not) and have a great tolerance for testing your internal levels of the ridiculous, Primal becomes a rollercoaster ride that veers nearly out-of-control, briefly touching both the highs and the lows in horror thrills. Like a great Laymon novel (minus the sex), Primal keeps pushing and pushing the envelope well over-the-top. Many will be lost, tumbling willy-nilly off the suspension bridge of disbelief, but for the seasoned horror film veteran, especially those with a sardonic sense of humor, Primal turns from a bland cookie-cutter exercise into a "Oh come on", "What?? Are you kidding me??", "What an idiot!!", "OK, that's it!! He (or she) deserves whatever painful death is right around the corner" fun and engaging genre flick. Rewarding the B+ moments over the C- moments and skipping the first 20 minutes or so, plus completely discounting the minimal plot surrounding 120 year old cave paintings, I generously round up to a solid B.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 5:29:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2012 6:30:12 PM PDT
Hey Lisa....Thanks for starting a new chapter for us....I don't know what i'd do on a Saturday night without this forum to help me with recommendations!!! winks*

It's funny not having DRAM running the show...though!!!

Dram...it's hard to believe YOU started the last thread way back when....

(Initial post: Dec 24, 2007 10:39:57 PM PST)...Ha!

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:28:29 AM PDT
Dramamine says:
Piranha 3DD - I had my expectations in the gutter for this one due to the reviews. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Extremely cheesy but doesn't take itself seriously for a second. Pretty much like watching one of those so-bad-it's-good syfy movies. Overall just really dumb and cheesy but I will most likely watch it again as I am a sucker for B movies.

V/H/S - still not sure how I felt about this one. I love anthologies and this definitely had some really good elements to it. Sometimes I think most anthologies need about 10 years to age and then can easily become a novelty. My main problem with this was that pretty much all of the characters in this movie were highly unlikable. As soon as they were introduced I was just waiting for them to die. Aside from that this was a total mixed bag; some stories were really good and tense while a couple others didn't really seem to add anything. It is, however, definitely worth a watch. There's quite a bit of originality to it but it wasn't really groundbreaking by any standards. Just my opinion.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 2:25:05 PM PDT
Doctor Paul says:
I just saw "The Possession" which was better than most demonic possession & exorcism movies. However, the viewer is expected to accept that the parents, for instance, are complete morons in that spectacular demonic possession events occur to their child and they think it's just normal reactions to a divorce. I was glad when the cheesy movie ended. And it's a hit at the box office -- Hollywood standards are so low.

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 9:04:10 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
I Was really looking forward to seeing POSSESSION. Wow. Cheesy, huh.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 3:30:16 AM PDT
I saw the ads for Possession and wondered it if might be a bit cheesy or really outstanding...guess I know now.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 3:39:46 AM PDT
Beetlejuice says:
I recently watched again the woman in black and white noise

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 3:47:20 AM PDT
I'm not familiar with The Woman in Black. I remember White Noise and did not think too much of it. I've always wanted to watch it again and I think it is OnDemand this month and probably on Netflix and http://amazon.com. lol...guess I can find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 4:50:46 PM PDT
I enjoyed The Woman in Black too. I thought the Hammer studios vibe was enjoyable as I liked their take on the Frankenstein & Dracula legends from the late 50's. It was shot well, and a nice vehicle to see Radcliffe star in.

I also enjoyed the prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing. I enjoyed that the director kept the same tone to the film, and had a fair enough suspense for me. Good effects too.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:40:07 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
THE HUNGER GAMES

blah. Reminds me of King's THE LONG WALK, which is a personal favorite of mine. Doesn't live up to all the hype. I probably won't even bother to watch the 2nd one.

sidenote: I heard somewhere that there were a lot of folks complaining that the little girl from District 11 was African-American. They said that fact ruined the character for them. I thought she was really beautiful, and sad, and soulful. People get on Twitter and say whatever dumb stuff pops into their head.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:49:24 PM PDT
The Long Walk was such a good story. I read it only once at least 20 years ago and it is still sticking with me after all that time.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 1:58:52 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Yes, THE LONG WALK was excellent. I'd rather be a Tribute in the hunger game, than go on THE LONG WALK. In THE GAME, at least it's over relatively quickly.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 2:31:22 PM PDT
Dramamine says:
Madison County (Unrated)
Skip this one. Unoriginal movie about kids going to investigate a killer somewhere out in the country. Weak script and acting. I turned it off after an hour because I didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them.

Some Guy Who Kills People
This one was pretty good. Horror/comedy? I don't know exactly. Not a whole lot of horror and not tons of laughs but it definitely has its moments as well as some really good characters. Mainly deals with a guy working in a restaurant while living at home with his mom and getting revenge on some of his bullies. I don't want to say too much about it but it's strangely very appealing. If you don't go into it expecting a lot of horror you will probably not be let down.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:34:16 PM PDT
Doctor Paul says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 3:11:46 AM PDT
Alina says:
If I were American this film would make me MORE likely to vote for Obama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016:_Obama's_America

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 3:45:29 AM PDT
Alina ~ I thought 2016 was not a pro-Obama film. I have not seen it and don't really care if I do or not.

Paul ~ Nosferatu. B/W Silent movie. If you have not seen it imagine yourself in a dark cold movie theater, never seeing a vampire movie. It's available from Netflix as a DVD or instant watch. It's the oldest horror file I know of.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:23:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 9:16:27 AM PDT
Dramamine says:
No politics on the horror forums please. Also you misspelled the name of the candidate you're endorsing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 4:29:54 AM PDT
Alina says:
"Also you misspelled the name of the candidate you're endorsing."

Yeah, that's pretty tragic.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 4:54:47 AM PDT
Alina ~ lol...I noticed that misspelling, but I didn't think it was a very stong endorsment by Paul...guess I'm just use to all the political, dare I say, crap on Facebook.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 5:48:47 PM PDT
Doctor Paul says:
I rented the DVD "Cabin in the Woods" today and it was terrible. What happened to this big innovation from Whedon? I'm a little sloppy on spelling sometimes online. You'd never know that I have a Ph.D. in psychology from a prestige university. I like simple horror films like "I Know What You Did Last Summer," "Friday the 13th," etc. Nosferatu is too dated for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 6:03:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2014 6:58:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 4:21:38 AM PDT
Hey, if I had a PhD, I'd be mentioning it, too...well, maybe not if it were in psychology...lol...just a little jab, Paul...One of my best friends has the same degree from UMich.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  1429
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  8 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions