Customer Discussions > Horror forum

What have you watched recently? Did you like it? Why?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 24, 2007 10:39:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2009 6:56:14 AM PST
Dramamine says:
Reeker - it wasn't bad at all except for the conclusion. I don't want to give anything away but it's been done before and it's disappointing in my opinion but others have loved it. All in all not bad at all and I could watch it several more times before I get sick of it.
Gravedancers: Not really that bad. True, the acting was horrible and the last ten minutes were ridiculous but overall it wasn't bad and it has replay value for the overall creepiness in the first half.
Trick or Treat: Awful but, in my opinion, in a funny way. Some of the funniest quotes I've ever heard in a horror movie. How can you go wrong with an 80's movie starring Skippy(Mark Price) as a metalhead?
What have you seen recently? I'll be adding to this list very soon hopefully.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 12:34:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2008 11:41:16 PM PDT
"Hatchet"
was awesome!!!!
Old School Horror indeed.
Loved every second of it.
Some viscious death scenes, some hearty laughs, some back-story, some nudity, and an all new horror icon.
Same goes for "Wrong Turn 2"
If you liked one of these flix, I guarantee you'll like the other.

"Black Sheep"
was better than I thought it would be.
Not as funny as it originally appeared, but solid enough to merit a purchase.
If you liked Shaun of the Dead you're likely to appreciate this one.

"Halloween" (Remake) Unrated Directors Cut
I don't know why soooo many people hated this remake.
A good movie is a good movie, remake or not.
Face it, there are ALOT of remakes out there that are much worse,
Heck there are alot of original-idea horror movies out there that are much worse too.
I like seeing an origin story, and this was a good one.
I liked it just as much as Hannibal Rising.
(Kinda wish Texas Chainsaw: The Begining was more like an origin, and less like a prelude)
Blood, nudity, laughs and profanity (alot of profanity)
Be warned, this flick does have a rape scene that the original definitely did not have.

"Feed"
Crazy serial killer movie, involving heavier-women being voluntarily fed to death, out of what they believe is love.
This whole movie is like a demented debate on morals & relationships.
The sex-scenes are weird to say the least,
They're interwoven between the "normal" sex of the cop & his wife,
and the "perverse" sex between the serial killer & his all-too-happy victim.
Great story, awesome ending, highly recommended for people who like their horror a little more serious.

"Strange Circus"
Have you seen Suicide Club??
This one is from the director of that flick.
Expect a sexually demented, somewhat gorey, off the wall movie.

"Believers"
If you like religious debate, you'll like this one.
Serious horror, from the director of "The Blair Witch Project" & "Altered"
2 paramedics are kidnapped by a cult and taken to their compound,
While there, their faith and lack there of, is tested & stretched to the limits.

"Behind the Mask"
The mockumentary that pokes fun at all it's influences before it's becomes them.
If you love & live by flix like Friday the 13th & Halloween, you'll definitely dig this one.

"Eastern Promises" (not horror)
Awesome russian mafia flick, from David Cronenberg (The Fly, Videodrome, History of Violence etc.)
Bloody, and just downright awesome.
Super highly recommended

"Shutter"
The next great asian ghost flick.
Creepy visuals, a bunch of scares & a great story.

"Redsin Tower"
From Fred Vogel the director of the August Underground series.
A typical horror flick with great gore effects that are rendered useless due to the fact that they all take place in the dark.
It could have been alot better if the gore effects were completely visible instead of obscured.
Ultimately though I enjoyed it.

"Videodrome"
Wild Dave Cronenberg flick with special effects fom the guy who worked on Star Wars.
Snuff, Hallucinations, & Mutations, oh my!!!
Stomach cavity caches, bubbling videotapes, a uniquely erotic sex scene, man becoming one with his gun, and a guy who exists entirely in videotapes.

"Azumi" (not horror)
Bloody, Kung-Fu tale, of assassins and vengeance.
Phenominal story, great special effects & cinematography, gore galore, and silly dubbing, make this a new favorite of mine.
I can't stress how much I realy enjoyed this flick, but then again I went into it with really low expectations.

"Lady Vengeance" (not horror)
Amazing...nothing short of amazing.
I had tears in my eyes at one point. (you'll know what I'm talking about, if you see it.)
The story has a tendency to jump between the past and the present a little too often, which can be somewhat disorienting at times.
But if you're already used to Chan Wook-Park's directing style, you'll barely notice it.
And contrary to popular belief, this one might actually be better than Park's "Oldboy",
which is no small feat in and of itself.
Great acting, great story, phenominal cinematography,
If you only see one movie this year, make it this one.

"Irreversible"
Whoa...........
I mean whoa..............
Everything about this movie will make you sick,
the unsteady floating camera, the backwards story, THE mother of all death scenes, the unflinching rape scene (specifaically the guy who runs away after witnessing it), the empty feeling of uselessness you get after watching it, the terrible irony of it all.
There is an unshakable feeling that stays with you long after you see this flick.
It punches a hole in your soul, that leaves you feeling disheartened & alone.
Viewer discretion is strongly advised.
This flick will change you.
That is something I have no doubt about,
you will positively not be the same after seeing this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 12:38:18 PM PST
I also just got Fido, Nailed, Captivity, Cannibals, Sodom the Killer, & The Tripper
but I haven't watched any of them yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 2:02:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 5, 2008 9:29:43 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 4:03:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 13, 2012 4:30:03 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 5:52:58 AM PST
Ravenskya says:
I thought "Tripper" was terrible, I was very dissapointed. It reminded me a lot of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" where the majority of the film is in inside joke that you aren't part of, and the filmmaker uses their status to put every friend, and person they ever wanted to work with into a film together whether or not it makes any sense or is entertaining to watch.

I haven't seen any "New" horror films in a while... We watched the Simpsons, the new Die Hard, the third Pirates movie (I finally decided that the kids could watch it) and Scooby Doo and the Boo Brothers. Still on the list is Ratatoullie, the Looney Toons Golden Years, Tom and Jerry, and my 250 DVD Horror pack... which actually came with 2 duplicate DVDs... so rather than getting 60 DVD's I got 62...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 6:58:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2007 10:17:35 AM PST
The Demon says:
Here are some that I've seen recently that I like.
1)Dark WaterS-Don't hesitate to get this one if you like Supernatural and Dario Argento films!
2)Funny Games-I saw this one a little while ago, but I figured I'd throw it out because the re-make is coming out soon. Very disturbing home invasion flick with 'self-aware' characters. It will rattle your nerves for sure.
3)Dumpings-This one really got to me, it's not hard to figure out what the ingrediant is.
4)Murder-Set Pieces(director's cut)-Very stylish serial killer flick. THis movie has no bounderies and is extremely graphic, but the movie is very welll done and is captivating. All this sick stuff is going on, but you can't help to watch because it has such identity!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 11:10:34 AM PST
Angelicat says:
The only thing I watched recently is "Cube 2: Hypercube." What a waste of time that one was. I was trying to get it finished in time to put it out for the mail pickup, and I kept thinking, "something's GOTTA happen soon..." I'm really glad I didn't miss the post for THAT ending. Even the presence of one of my favorite actresses (Kari Matchett of "Invasion" and "24") couldn't save this piece of boring nonsense.

I have "Spider Baby" here and am going to watch it in an hour or so. I've read good things about it in this group and am looking forward to it. Then later today we're going to the local "cheapie theater" (come on, you know the ones, maybe you call it the Dollar Theater or the Bargain Theater, but every town has one that shows films after they've been out a month or so). We're going to see "We Own The Night" with Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix. I like both of those actors a lot, and my son said the movie was great. One New Year's Eve, we're going to see "I Am Legend."

Oh, I know, one thing we watched that I always enjoy is the 1951 version of "A Christmas Carol." I have it on videotape, and we actually still have a VCR for the hundreds of movies we haven't acquired on DVD yet. That is altogether my favorite version of the story, with Alister Sim in the lead role. His transformation scene(s) after being visited by The Ghosts is nothing short of remarkable, and always bring me to tears.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 11:20:57 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 13, 2012 4:30:42 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 1:31:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2007 1:32:11 PM PST
Mr. P. Burt says:
Am surpirsed you did not go much on Wrong Turn 2 Brownbear? thats ok every one got their likes and dislikes about horror films I guess what i liked about Wrong turn 2 was that it had more gore than the 1st film. One last thing am trying to pick what horror film to get after christmas i have to get it on import cuz i don't like waiting half a year for one to come out in the U.K. got any horror films you would say is worth getting for me to get????

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 4:01:55 PM PST
Mr. P,
If you liked "Wrong Turn 2", you'll love "Hatchet"
I'm personally a fan of both flicks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 4:19:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2007 4:19:54 PM PST
M. says:
I just watched a new one called Girl Next Door that is based on a a true story from the 60's where a lady manipulated neighborhood children into torturing one of her adopted kid's. It's a very sad and extremely disturbing movie but highly recommended. It's one of the best American horror film's I've seen in year's. High production value's and very unsettling subject matter. It's been called one of the most brutal murder's ever commited on a single person and not a lot of people know about it. If anyone want's to check out the real story you can read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Baniszewski

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 4:36:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2007 4:49:38 PM PST
M,
I've read the Jack Kethum novel of the same title.
And have this flick on my wish list.
I'm glad to hear it was awesome.

I also want to see "The Lost", another Kethum translation,
directed by the guy who did "I know who killed me" (the Lindsay Lohan horror flick)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 4:47:17 PM PST
M. says:
I did'nt read the novel but from what I hear it is very faithful the original story. It's an extremely brutal flick but still keeps it classy at the same time. It is not really gory nor is the violence glorified, but I think that's what make's it so powerful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 4:50:39 PM PST
Can't wait to see it, thanx for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2007 3:00:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 5, 2008 9:31:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 10:52:34 AM PST
Mr. P. Burt says:
Hey Captain Insanity I saw Hatchet the other day that has got to be one the best horror films i've seen for sometime that women's face getting belt sandded was f***ed up but thats the way i like my horror films. I've read you've got that zombie film Fido what's like?? let me know soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 11:09:06 AM PST
Ravenskya says:
Fido was great! Bought it I loved it so much. Not much in the way of Gore or even horror really... but hysterically funny in a deadpan kind of way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 5:56:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2007 6:13:58 PM PST
Lavarocks says:
I've been on a holiday theme so I bought:

Black Christmas (original): I ruined this one for myself by watching the remake first, so I really didn't think it was so creepy. Felt it moved too slowly at times, and couldn't get past Andrea Martin playing a non-comedic role. I know this is blasphemy, but I felt like the remake was creepier, since you get a taste of the killer's background.

Christmas Evil (Director's Cut/"You Better Watch Out!"): Not really "scary," but entertaining nonetheless. Special effects are pretty bad, but the comic included inside the dvd case made this purchase worthwhile. Makes me glad I still believe in Santa.

Silent Night, Deadly Night: Still sitting unopened under the tree. I saw this when I was a kid and thought I'd get all nostalgic, but forgot to watch it until after X-mas. Maybe next year.

Non-holiday Treats...
Hatchet: Loved it! When the chick gets her head torn in half...this movie made me believe that there are still films to be desired that are being made. Great mix of comedy and horror. Plenty of gore.

Zzyzx: Weird, story of two guys on a roadtrip that pose the question of "if you kill someone in the middle of nowhere, will anyone find out?" - not lame or predictable like many others. Didn't understand how the Mexican family knew where to look for the buried leg though.

Sublime: Hmmm, I still don't know how to describe my feelings toward this film. It's about a guy who goes into the hospital the day after his 40th b-day for a routine colonoscopy and finds himself living a nightmare that won't end. I thought it moved really slowly at first, but once it had me, it REALLY had me. I was unprepared for the ending, and at times I felt I didn't know which way was up. I'd watch it again.

Masters of Horror/Cigarette Burns: One of my favorites of the series. I always end up gagging when I see Udo Kier feeding his intestines into the projector at the end.

Turistas: Even Josh Duhamel couldn't save this stinker about tourists visiting Brazil who are lured into the underworld of black market organ theft.

Night of the Comet: One of my favorites from late-night cable in the 80s. People inexplicably turn to dust when a comet passes by the Earth. All except for a few survivors (all protected by steel structures as the comet passed) and the "exposed" those who are decomposing slowly, and turning into murderous creatures.

Are You Scared?: RIP OFF of the Saw franchise. Not even a decent rip-off. Bet the writers got the idea after watching Saw II? Glad it was on cable and I didn't actually pay for this puke.

Fido: One of the best comedy/horror films I've seen in a while. I liked it so much I bought it.

Captivity: I wanted to see this one for a while, but soon realized the bilboard scandal was the only thing this film had going for it. The effects were decent, but the plot felt a little dated--with all the gorno films currently out there, I felt they really could have done more with this.

Up next: City of the Living Dead

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 9:18:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2007 9:22:39 PM PST
Horrorman says:
I also saw Hatchet. This is my 2nd favorite slasher movie next to Behind the Mask. For Hatchet, I LOVED the gore (head rip and the old guy getting cut in half diagonally). For Behind the Mask, I liked the behind-the-scenes type thing going there. Even when it became a normal slasher, it was still greatness.

Don't Look Now: I just saw this last night. Thought it was amazing! I had already heard about the ending and it still had me guessing. The ending was pretty cool. Lot of blood. There was something really elegant about the film.

The Tripper: I hated this film. Thought it would be a WHOLE lot better than it was. Slightly funny, though. The killings weren't even that great.

Alice, Sweet Alice: Just got this in the mail. I'll probably watch it tonight.

I'll be getting Do You Wanna Know A Secret, Deep in the Woods, Shredder, Bad Taste and Boo next week.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 10:28:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2007 10:29:48 PM PST
I just saw "The Tripper"
a typical slasher flick, with sprinkles of humor, to detract from the fact that ultimately this a very forgettable film.
What is David Arquette doing directing a horror flick anyway?!?!?

"Severance"
was awesome!!!!!
A great horror/comedy that has lots of laughs as well as lots of blood.
I am ecstatic that I found this flick.
Highly recommended (Much, much, funnier than almost every horror/comedy flick I've ever seen, and not in a silly spoof kind of way either.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 10:16:03 AM PST
Mr. P. Burt says:
Guess The Tripper sucked hey Captain Insanity i'll keep away from that one. Glad you liked Severance I took my mum to see that film she was wondering how can anyone laugh at that guys leg caught in that trap i said cuz it's f**king funny the way it was done that why. What was your favourite bits in the film?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 11:55:56 AM PST
Mr. P,
The part where the guy was tripping on mushrooms and saw himself leaning in the doorway.
And they started making facial gestures to each other. (hilarious)
Which was then followed by the duplicate walking outside and seeing another doppleganger leaning against a tree.
No, no, wait
The best part was the very last line, one word, that's it, just one word (I don't want to ruin it)
I started clapping.

And the leg in the bear-trap scene was excellent.
They kept slamming the jaws of that trap on his leg,
and with each unsuccessful attempt, I laughed harder and harder.
Nobody was removing it for him, and he was just standing there in complete shock.

Funny, bloody, good time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 12:06:45 PM PST
The Demon says:
Hey Capt., I just shot you an e-mail.
I saw 'Next Door' yesterday. It was a pretty decent mind-f*** type of movie. It's about a guy who after breaking up with his girl, meets the 2 very odd girls that live in the Apt. next door. It's a trippy movie with jump-cuts, and a dark atmosphere. It has tracking shots to give the Apt. a 'labrynth' type of look; The Apt. itself is portrayed almost as a character. I think it's a pretty solid movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 11:57:26 PM PST
Persephone says:
Hi Brownbear, Cool Thread!
I've been on vacation this week and have been playing catch-up. I just watched the following for the 1st time:
1. Silent Night, Deadly Night, 1984: I thought this was OK. The first 15 minutes were the best. After that it's pretty predictable. Enjoyed seeing a young Leanna Quigley.
2. Cannibal Ferox, 1981: I didn't expect to like this one due to it's intense reputation, but I ended up really liking it in spite of myself.
3. Maneater of Hydra, 1966: Horrible, horrible print and bad dubbing. Plot is rather silly. I was rather bored until the very end, which I began to really enjoy, but unfortunately couldn't see clearly since the print was so bad!
4. Curse of the Devil, 1973: I really liked this. You have to be a fan of 60/70's Eurohorror to truly appreciate this one and a fan of old-school werewolf flicks and it just so happens I have a big soft-spot for both types.
5. Thesis, 1996: I loved this. Thought this was really well done, suspenseful and stylish.
6. The Grapes of Death, 1978: I really liked this one too. Again, you have to be a fan of 60/70's Eurohorror to truly appreciate. Loved the dreamlike, surreal quality of the story. And of course there's zombies!
7. Anatomy, 2000: I loved this. Very creepy premise and loved the cold, clinical atmosphere of the film. This movie made me very nervous.
8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978: I usually hate remakes, but this was terrific. I loved the cast and the mood. All round an excellent remake that stands on it's own.
So, you can see I'm having fun during my time off....I have another week to go and there are sooooo many more movies out there to watch! Until next time, ~P
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
191 Jan 22, 2013
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 1348 1 hour ago
What have you watched recently? 1210 1 hour ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1100 2 hours ago
Creepy/Horror tv shows (& films) 104 4 hours ago
growing up with horror 881 20 hours ago
The Stand Vs Swan Song? 38 1 day ago
The Lounge 6511 5 days ago
Books like Rosemary's Baby 79 7 days ago
A Different Tale In The Werewolf Genre 7 10 days ago
Looking to a really GOOD Horror novel.. 13 21 days ago
R.I.P. Marilyn Burns 1 22 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  405
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions