Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Graham Masterton

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2014 2:04:28 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Congrats on your new baby!

Gemini Rising is actually a later version with some of what the author was forced to put in taken out. He was not happy about having to make it a dirty book.

Posted on Jun 13, 2014 10:37:59 AM PDT
Finally back at the office after nearly 3 months! Our little daughter was born on April 1st and she's doing well :)

It feels good to be back after all this time. Now I have a lot of catching up to do, i actually cant remember which Masterton book i was reading before i left so i just started "Walkers" again until i can get something new. I was able to finish "Forest Ghost", which was good but i was hoping to get more action near the end.

I just ordered McNaughton's "Satan's Love Child" and "Throne of Bones" through Amazon.ca. It sounded interesting so thanks for the recomendation Kinks! I think the version i ordered for Satan's Love child is the original one, its called "Gemini Rising", i hope its the same thing. It should keep me busy until i get something new from Graham.

Posted on Apr 8, 2014 7:55:53 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Walkers has been optioned as a film, to be titled "The Oaks". See http://www.grahammasterton.co.uk/news.html

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 1:34:46 PM PDT
lol! That's good.

He doesnt seem to have a lot of books but his short story collection looks good

The Throne of Bones

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2014 12:29:50 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Doum -- There is no doubt in my mind that Satan's Love Child is right up your alley. The horror is evil. The violence is graphic. The sex is gratuitous. It's like it was written just for you.

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 12:03:00 PM PDT
The review convinced me, i'll give it a try for sure. It looks like all the elements from a good old GM story are in there. The author seems to like Lovecraft too so it sounds very interesting.

Im about halfway through FOREST GHOST now, very good read so far. I like how the suspense keeps building...

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 11:43:40 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Allow me to deviate from Masterton a bit. I would have to say that anyone who likes Masterton's early writing (horror with graphic violence and gratuitous sex) would enjoy the book I just read: Brian McNaughton's Satan's Love Child (A Star book) (also at SATAN"S LOVE CHILD). Check out the description on-line. If you can get your hands on it, give it a try.

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 6:57:05 AM PST
I just got it today,finally. It was cheaper for me to get it from Amazon.ca.

I finished "Charnel House" and i started American Indian Trickster Tales (Myths and Legends) I wanted to read more about Coyote, the main villain in Charnel house. These tales and legends are very interesting if you want to know more about the native american mythology. I also got American Indian Myths and Legends (The Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) and Voices of the Winds: Native American Legends I would recommend them to anyone who liked Graham's Manitou books.

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 7:50:39 AM PST
KinksRock says:
Forest Ghost: A novel of horror and suicide in America and Poland is on reserve at the library for me. I'm in the middle of two other books (one of which is quite lengthy: The Accursed: A Novel), but I should get to Forest Ghost pretty soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 7:13:54 AM PST
It could be that as well. I can barely remember that movie. That would be a good thing to add on my list.

Im currently re-reading Charnel House by Graham. I Forgot how good this one was.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 6:32:51 AM PST
KinksRock says:
The way she describes it, it sounds a LOT like "The Silence of the Lambs", which is a great book, and a better movie, but not written by Masterton.

"Family Portrait"/"Picture of Evil" was one of Masterton's best.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 6:09:31 AM PST
Hi Mrs Handa,

This sounds a lot like "Family Portrait", also published as "Picture of Evil", in which the Gray family were killing people for their skin in order to stay young. That was a really good book. :)

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 5:02:09 AM PST
Hi. new to this forum, Graham Masterton was the first horror author I had read back in the 90's, I have been hooked ever since. Can anyone help me to remember the title of the first horror book I read. It was by Mr Masterton an in it people were being killed and skin taken was taken from specific parts of them to make a body suit for the murderer to wear. It was really gruesome and I couldnt put the book down, would really love to read it again. Anne

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 10:21:22 AM PST
Hey Kinks! My best wishes for the new year.

I'll keep an eye on this one. "Forest Ghost" also looks good. It looks like it wont be available for a while though. "Red Light" on June 5th and "Forest Ghost" on april 1st. We should also be getting 2 new sagas, "Imperium" and "Dynastia". I know it wont be horror but im sure it will be interesting.

Work is still keeping me very busy but im not complaining, we seem to be getting easier days recently. Im actually re-reading "The Pariah" right now and its still amazing after all these years. Im also planning on getting "The Sleepless" "Community" and probably "Ghost Music" until his new books are available.

Anyone knows what is happening with "Walkers"? I think its been optioned by Jules Stewart for a movie adaptation but i dont know if its actually in progress. I might go and ask on his message board..

Posted on Jan 21, 2014 9:27:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2014 9:29:01 AM PST
KinksRock says:
Graham Masterton has disclosed on his web site that there will be another Manitou novel. He has not revealed the plot, but has said that it is already written. Personally, I'm hoping it's not another one featuring Misquamacus. I'd prefer one more like The Djinn, in which Harry Erskine faced another supernatural entity.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Manitou series, it consists of these: The Manitou, Revenge of the Manitou, Burial: A Novel of the Manitou, Manitou Blood, and Blind Panic. There was also a short story called "Spirit Jump", featuring Harry and Misquamacus in one of the short-story collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 11:24:44 PM PST
Steve says:
Thanks Kinks for the heads up:-)

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 7:08:11 AM PST
KinksRock says:
He's got a new one out (or coming out): Forest Ghost: A novel of horror and suicide in America and Poland. I've got it on reserve at my library.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2013 3:19:32 PM PST
Steve says:
Thanks i appreciate it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2013 12:48:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2013 1:36:16 PM PST
KinksRock says:
I highly recommend MIRROR, and I recommend PARIAH.

It's been a while since I've read those, so I looked back at the reviews I wrote for them (copied below). I do recollect that THE PARIAH was a bit nuts in the third act, so I give MIRROR the stronger recommendation:

4-star review for MIRROR
Delightfully evil
By KinksRock on March 19, 2012

I was attracted to this novel because of how much I enjoyed another Masterton novel that referenced a children's book: Spirit, which referenced "The Snow Queen" as a major plot device.

In MIRROR, the children's book with which it is so connected is Lewis Carroll's THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS. There's more to "Jabberwocky" than just silly words, my friends!

In MIRROR, a frustrated writer is obsessed with a murdered child star, and he gets possession of the mirror that was in the room when the child was killed and chopped into bits. And apparently his spirit is in the mirror . . . and that's just the beginning.

Great Masterton. Lots of evil stuff. Enjoy!

4-star review for THE PARIAH
Spooky New England Ghost Story (for most of it)
By KinksRock on July 16, 2012

This is another Graham Masterton novel that I would give 3.5 stars (but because of the limitations of the star system, I've bumped it up to four).

THE PARIAH is a great, old-fashioned ghost story set in a spooky New England sea town. A man is visited by his recently deceased wife, who seems more malevolent than she did when alive. I loved the setting and loved the creepy visitations.

But, as often happens with Masterton, I thought the third act went a bit haywire.

********** SPOILER ALERT **************

THE PARIAH goes from being an old-fashioned ghost story to a combination of Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt Adventure) and any one of Masterton's novels where he has a protagonist pitted against an evil entity from some group's ancient mythology (see The Manitou, The Djinn, Master of Lies, and many others).

In this one, it's a demon from Mexican mythology. Yes, that's right: Mexican. How did this thing end up in a New England ghost story? Well, you'll just have to read it.

We also end the book with some revelations that seem to come out of nowhere.

********** END OF SPOILER ALERT ***************

I predict many readers will love the first two-thirds and then start to raise their eyebrows.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 3:37:05 PM PDT
Steve says:
Would you rec reading Graham's stories PERIAH and MIRROR, they have caught my attension?

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 1:58:55 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Right now there's a paperback copy of The Hell Candidate under the nom de plume "Thomas Luke" selling for $14.34. That may seem like a bit much for a paperback, but I've seen it being sold for a lot worse, so, if reading this Masterton masterpiece is one of your priorities, check it out. The Hell Candidate

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 1:59:22 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
"Changeling" is a really good story! That's the one that prompted me to tell GM that I wouldn't mind trying being a woman for a day. He got pretty funny and started talking about how I could play with my b--bs, lol. I'd love it if you and I could go out for drinks with that guy. I bet he's a real scream, and I'm sure he could afford to treat!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 1:57:33 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Thanks, Doum. I guess we switched books.

I usually find GM readable, but some I like better than others. HT was an easy read, but I didn't think it was great, and I think I'm just not a NW fan. I like how he sets up the spooky stuff and how we find out who the evil being is, but the three people getting costumes and powers, not so much.

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:51:49 PM PDT
Hey kinks! I think those 2 are among Graham's bests. Let me know if you liked them. I still have french copies for both HOLY TERROR and NIGHT WARRIOR so if its no problem for you you can keep them and/or give them away. It might be a bit pricy to send them back and since i still have them in french i really dont mind. I kept FAMINE and TOUCHY AND FEELY that you gave me so its all good.

I managed to get the last book of the night warriors and i enjoyed it. It was the one with the travelling circus. nice read. FORTNIGHT OF FEAR was my latest GM acquisition. It includes : Hurry Monster, Changeling, Laird of Dunain, Ever Ever after, Pigs dinner, Heart of Stone, The woman in the wall, Making belinda, Eric the pie, Rococo, 5a bedford Row, Saint Joan, The sixth Man and Beijing Craps. Very nice collection so far. The only one i knew was "Eric the pie".

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 10:40:59 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I have read HOLY TERROR and am now reading NIGHT WARRIORS. At some point, I've really got to return these books to Doum. I've had three of his books for over a year.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 67 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  1675
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions