Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Graham Masterton

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:45:13 AM PST
haha..LOL,..guess your right! Good point!

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:50:49 AM PST
KinksRock says:
The one thing I called Masterton out on -- and he denied it on his web site -- is that he seems obsessed with genital mutilation. I thought he was going over the top with it in so many novels before I even read "Burial", in which a woman's vagina is torn out, ripped through her body, and out her mouth.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:52:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 11:53:04 AM PST
did you post this today on his message board ??

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:00:11 PM PST
KinksRock says:
No, it was a few months ago, after I read "Burial". I asked him if he was angry when he wrote that, and he said something like 'the only thing that made him angry was bad service in restaurants'.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:07:06 PM PST
Kinks,...trust me, i`ve read most of his horror stuff and i dont think he`s obssesed with genital mutilation. Of course masterton likes to explore his sexual themes and bring them as far as he can, he always liked this and probably always will but hes not obssesed.....just very good at shocking....

Dont forget he`s been writing lots of sex book. In this new edtion of Cemetery Dance GM special edition graham explained that there was a very interesting link between horror and sex....both of them kinda complete each other in a very strange way....

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:08:37 PM PST
KinksRock says:
His linking of sex and horror makes him a bit strange. I think you can have one withot the other, but now I expect the sex when I read his horror books.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:17:21 PM PST
Same here, im also expecting a few sexy moments everytime i start a new book from him.......guess i kinda got use to that. Sex as always been an ``easy shocker`` for everyone......just mix in a bit of blood and gore with it and you just might`ve found the perfect recepe for a good shocking horror scene...LOL...
...i guess its kinda fascinating as well.....in a weird way......

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:29:21 PM PST
KinksRock says:
I know I keep mentioning it, but I think he did the sex/horror balance best in "The Hell Candidate".

"House of Bones" had no sex. It was more of straight horror, and I think it was well executed.

"Spirit" had two sex scenes, one being a rape, and not as explicit as in other novels. For the most part, the writing in "Spirit" was poetic, often beautiful.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:38:04 PM PST
I'll definitely look into "The hell candidate". i dont think i've read it...unless it was under a different name...is there a starlet called "Adele Corliss" in this book ?

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:45:04 PM PST
Ok never mind, Adele Corliss was the sexy starlet in THE SWEETMAN CURVE.....it just came back to me.....

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:51:44 PM PST
KinksRock says:
The Hell Candidate/The Hell Candidate/The Hell Candidate is awesome. Don't miss it. Much better than the other Masterton novels I've read that involve politics (The Sphinx, Famine/Famine, The Sweetman Curve/The Sweetman Curve).

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 12:54:12 PM PST
My god did you see the price?...and its used! I will definitely get it and i will use this website info you gave me (half.com). You were right, these are the cheapest Masterton Books i've found on the web so far.......Thanx again for that !!..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 12:56:11 PM PST
You should try "CONDOR". I think its his best political effort. I think it will be hard to find tough....

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 1:02:42 PM PST
I think the most shocking and disturbing scene i've read from Masterton was in DEATH TRANCE. When randolph's family gets killed and both the mother and little sister gets raped. Its not pretty trust me, its the most violent thing he ever wrote. when i reminded him of that story he told me he went back to it and read it again, he said he felt like if it was someone else that wrote the book. The chapter was called "Lac Aux Ecorce, Quebec" and its completely crazy....see if you can find that.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 1:15:45 PM PST
KinksRock says:
I'm just ripping through his novels, so I'll probably get to it. My library has very little of his horror, but a lot of his historical novels. I haven't read any of those, and might give them a try after I read the Sissy Sawyer books.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 1:25:46 PM PST
You probably wont be very proud but if i could be anyone in "Picture Of the Devil" it would be Henry Gray.....he doesnt seem to be involved in all the other ugly tasks like Cordelia or Maurice....he seems to have the "taking care Of our guests" tasks which appears to be a lot more interesting....lol.. what do you think ?

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 1:44:22 PM PST
KinksRock says:
Doum666 (and anyone else who may be here, feel free to jump in) -- Have any Masterton novels led you to explore other works? Reading "Spirit" led me to read "The Snow Queen", which was so crucial to the novel.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 2:12:19 PM PST
Nothing really made me want to try other works by other authors but i do like to google lots of references he made about places or people. If he says one of his character looks like a once "famous" celebrity for example, i'll go and google it to get an idea of how he sees that character and what they would look like. I know Spirit has lots of refrences to "the snow queen". im planning on reading it someday but i'll try to get the movie first. Peggy Buchanan was a cool ghost!!

There was a time when graham used to make references about his own books....you probably already noticed that in lots of his stories, there always a house with a Wolf's head shaped Door knocker. Thats from his CHARNEL HOUSE story which is one of his best.......

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 2:15:34 PM PST
KinksRock says:
"Snow Queen" is only about 100 pages, so you could whip through it.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 1:59:12 PM PST
KinksRock says:
Picture of Evil/Family Portrait was awesome (except for the usual stupidity of the protagonist; something I wish Masterton would avoid), and is inducing me to revisit Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 2:51:48 PM PST
I was just reading an article about David Bowie in Rolling Stone and he had a slight obsession with that movie. In today's world it is thought to have some very strong homosexual overtones. I read it so long ago, I barely remember it.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 3:04:31 PM PST
KinksRock says:
I picked up on the sexual overtones when I read it for my first time several years back, and I intend to read it for a second time soon. Masterton's novel did not deal with homosexuality. The characters were quite heterosexual and quite perverse.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 3:05:26 PM PST
KinksRock says:
Are any Masterton fans familiar with the heavy metal group out of Portland, Oregon, that calls itself The Hell Candidates, after the novel?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 8:46:15 AM PST
KinksRock says:
@Doum666: I think Henry did some bad stuff, just not in the course of the novel, which takes place within a short time in the lives of the family. He did make Laura walk around basically naked for his amusement, knowing eventually they planned to do her in.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:49:19 AM PST
KinksRock says:
MIRROR and WALKERS are on their way in the mail to me. Another fine purchase through (ssshhhhh) half.com.

I love reading all these Masterton novels. The last time I read one author this obsessively, it was Charles Dickens (no, I'm not drawing a comparison between the two).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
191 Jan 22, 2013
What have you watched recently? 1202 7 minutes ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 1300 16 minutes ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1088 22 minutes ago
growing up with horror 861 2 hours ago
Creepy/Horror tv shows (& films) 70 13 hours ago
The Lounge 6511 3 days ago
Books like Rosemary's Baby 79 5 days ago
A Different Tale In The Werewolf Genre 7 8 days ago
The Stand Vs Swan Song? 36 12 days ago
Looking to a really GOOD Horror novel.. 13 19 days ago
R.I.P. Marilyn Burns 1 20 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  1675
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions