Customer Discussions > Horror forum

The Horror Thread for Horror Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:31:00 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
Just got Night of the *holes by Kevin Donihe, and from the library, October Country, by Bradbury.

I tried to give a link to the first one using Amazon's own system, but they rejected it and told me to see their guidelines re objectionable content.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 5:37:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2012 5:38:55 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Robert, I can highly recommend Peter Straub's Ghost Story, if you haven't already read it; however, it's not yet on Kindle. Follow the link and click the button to vote for having it available for Kindle - many of us have, and are actively recruiting anyone who wants it in that format.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 6:32:26 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Today's freebie horror ebooks, courtesy of Ereader News Today:

Truck Stop by John Penney.
Dogs of War by some guy named Bradley Convissar. ;)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:52:45 PM PST
My problem is that I'm finding 3-5 horror eBooks that are free each day now, thanks to the KDP option... I'm looking at over a hundred horror eBooks right now that I'll never get to... but I can't stop adding to my Kindle... of course, I am reading 1 or 2 a day but stockpiling that many as well... anyone else having this problem?

Armand Rosamilia

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:16:10 AM PST
LOL Marc!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:16:41 AM PST
I'm reading it now, Clay...so far, very good at 50% in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:17:20 AM PST
Nick, thanks for doing that! I'm really dying to read it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:18:02 AM PST
armand, yes!
My name is Charlene and I'm a Kindle horror ebook addict.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 8:50:41 AM PST
"Charlene says:
armand, yes!
My name is Charlene and I'm a Kindle horror ebook addict. "

Book Addicts Group (in unison): "Hi, Charlene..."

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 8:57:40 AM PST
LOL armand, exactly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 10:17:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 4:07:57 AM PST
Hi, Nick:

thanks, I did read it and just commented on it in another thread! I feel I've run through most of the "good" horror books and authors. I feel a lot of the horror writers (at least those in print) are not very good; I just can't make it through their work.

And on the Kindle ebooks...God help us. I don't think I can take any more zombie, werewolves, vampires or end-of-the-world/plague novels. Please...no more, okay? I don't want to discourage new writers and authors, especially the stuff that I love to write and read, but please no more...no more. Be kind...okay?

Story idea: follow me on this one, okay?

A vampire mates with a werewolf, but their child is born a zombie that can spread a plague through the shedding of its skin, thus enacting the End O The World thingy. In the aftermath of the ruins, one zombie finds true love with a girl zombie, and as they eat each others flesh and proclaim their love, the sun comes up on the horizon and--glorious!--they say, "At least there are no more writers to write books about vampires, zombies or werewolves...We Are Legend!"

THE END

Cheers!

Rob Heinze
Author of 15 Novels including "THE SWARM"
www.sketchesfromacelestialsea.com
rob@sketchesfromacelestialsea.com

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 10:22:11 AM PST
<I feel I've run through most of the "good" horror books and authors.>

Rob, no way! Have you checked out any of the following:
Kealan Patrick Burke
James Everington
Alan Ryker
Iain Rowan
Tim Curran
Brian Keene

To name a few recent discoveries on my part.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 10:24:20 AM PST
Rob, you do seem to have quite a few ebooks out there.
Which would you recommend someone try first?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 10:35:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 4:07:13 AM PST
Charlene, I haven't tried:

Alan Ryker
Iain Rowan

I will check them out, thanks...!

as per my stuff, I am not sure (they're all my children, complete with flaws, but I love them to death)...I also don't want to self promote and get in trouble. I just submitted one called THE SWARM, and it'll be 99 cent for promotion. It's my most recent, but if you can't wait for Amazon to make it available, I would suggest THOSE OF THE LIGHT & DARK, or EASTERLY RETREAT or STRANGE PLACES

best,

Rob Heinze
Author of more than 15 novels, including "THE SWARM"
www.sketchesfromacelestialsea.com
rob@sketchesfromacelestialsea.com

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 10:56:41 AM PST
Thank you! I don't want to get you into trouble either. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 5:36:31 PM PST
I have the same problem. I check the kindle forum everyday for Joyce's list of free books. I do "find" for horror to check out the horror books. If I read the description and it's another werewolf/vampires in love or zombie survival novel, I don't bother with it. I haven't even read World War Z yet. I've seen the Twilight movies with my wife, but just not really interested in reading about that stuff. I'm more into extreme/gore horror. To each their own. I spend my time on the free books because I can't afford to buy every book I want. The story I'm reading right now is in horrible need of editing, but it's still a decent read despite its problems. I suppose if I come across anything too bad I'll just skip it & delete it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 7:27:10 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Two writers that I discovered back in 2010 that I can recommend are Scott Nicholson and Brian Hodge. Nicholson writes horror and mystery, and Hodge writes horror, fantasy and crime/suspense.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 7:35:25 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
I'm reposting this, since the contest started today...

There's an upcoming Kindle Fire contest from Ereader News Today. Authors included are horror and mystery writer Scott Nicholson, who has made a number of (non-spam) appearances on the "Horror Books" thread, his sometimes collaborator J.R. Rain, and two other authors I'm not acquainted with. See the link for more details.

http://ereadernewstoday.com/free-kindle-fire-contest-coming-up/6710212/

P.S. H.T. Night seems to write nothing but YA and Paranormal Romance; well, nothing's perfect. But the ebooks are free, so I can't complain (much). Also, the titles change daily.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 6:57:44 AM PST
J.C. Noir says:
Alice is forever priced at 99 cents. It's a novelette, so it's a fun afternoon read.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 7:24:02 AM PST
Nick, I am not familiar with Brian Hodge. Is there any particular one you would recommend?

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 11:13:00 AM PST
JoCat says:
hey 'Timmy Quinn' readers --- there's a collection of all 4 books for $4.99 -- cheaper than getting them indivually -- Stage Whispers: The Collected Timmy Quinn Stories

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 2:00:30 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
The only Brian Hodge Kindle book I've read (when it was published in hardcover by Cemetery Dance) is Mad Dogs. It's one of his crime/suspense novels, and it was the best novel I read in 2010. Prototype sounds interesting to me. The Convulsion Factory and Falling Idols are short story collections.

You can pick up several of his OOP hardcovers and paperbacks for $0.01. I recommend Wild Horses, another crime/ suspense novel with Carl Hiaasen-like humor.

I have two other collections of his, not immediately to hand, so I'll check the titles and let you know.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 5:13:11 AM PST
Thanks, Nick! I'm going to check out one of them, at least.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 12:09:52 PM PST
My horror novel Diana's Dreams (Whispers) is FREE today, FRIDAY THE 13th only! I hope you have a lucky one!

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:17:20 PM PST
queen b says:
I'm a huge Laymon fan. Have ready everything i can get my hands on of his. Any suggestions for similar authors?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  158
Total posts:  2495
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions