Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Graham Masterton

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 21, 2012 1:13:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012 1:27:52 PM PST
KinksRock says:
"Touchy and Feely" is a "thriller". Not all that thrilling. It does include a gratuitous threesome. That Graham loves to throw in a sex scene, whether it's needed or not.

I am telling you right now that "The Hell Candidate" is beyond awesome. It is still my favorite of all of his books. It is also one of the best demonic-possession books I've read by any author. AND . . . AND!!!!! . . . it is one of the best POLITICAL books I've ever read. If you asked me what books you should read to understand a presidential election, I'd tell you to read "The Making of the President" series (Theodore White), the Witcover/Germond presidential election series, and "The Hell Candidate".

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:04:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 7:17:29 AM PST
Kinks,... I need your help. Do you know if there is a way to find, or even buy all of those demonology books that Graham is reffering too and sometimes even quoting in the beginning of his stories ? Here's a few titles he's been referring to that i would like to find...
-Codex Daemonicus, 1516
-Dictionary of the Damned published in 1861
-The Seven Million by the magician Johan Wierus (who believed that there were 7,409,127 demons, commanded by 79 princes of hell)
The Magus by Francis Barret is the only one i could find and its right here on amazon for like 45$, i'll see if i can find it on the half website. Let me know if you find anything, That would make my day, i would love to read those books......YES, i am THAT crazy.......LOL...

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 9:37:37 AM PST
KinksRock says:
I am not familiar with those books, nor have I ever sought them. Are we sure they are for real, and he is not just making them up?

If I were sure they were real and I wanted them, I'd google them. If they exist somewhere, then there's someone with copies willing to sell them.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:02:36 AM PST
No they are all real, "The magus" is right here on Amazon. The problem is that i they are very old and very rare.....I've tried to google them and saw a few mentions, mostly about those authors but of course the number of people who knows about these books obviously wont care about putting the information on a website....

If you go back to Graham's website, on the "Fiction" section, you'll see that the very first link is called "Rules of writing" if you scroll down a bit you'll see a "Demonology" paragraph in which graham explains hes been able to find a few of these books and have used them to link some of his own demons and entities to his own work.... Sort of a "true" references just like any of his mythologies........SPIRIT for example was a wonderful blend of THE SNOW QUEEN and the NORTHERN MYTHOLOGIES and their demons......if you google them, you'll see they are all listed as true demons and gods...hel, loki..ect ect...

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:10:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 10:16:43 AM PST
I actually just noticed 'THE MAGUS" is on the half website at 8.99$ instead of 45$....im definitely jumping on that...let me know if you find any of these books somewhere....

I think i just find a website for The Seven Million by the magician Johan Wierus (who believed that there were 7,409,127 demons, commanded by 79 princes of hell)
Someone manage to create a "resume website" of the book......http://members.fortunecity.com/octarin/demon_class.html (Be careful there is a virus on the first page...do not click the add....)

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:41:50 AM PST
Ok, i just asked Graham directly, its on his message board now..... hopefully he'll let us know how to get them....

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 11:12:14 AM PST
BTW,...im interesting in getting a few of his historical novel...if you have any good suggestions let me know.

have you ever heard of one of his story called "Kimberly's Diamond" ? i think i saw that once at the library but at the time i was mostly obssesed with his horror stuff......

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 11:25:35 AM PST
KinksRock says:
I took Headlines out of the library but have not started it. I'm reading The Picture of Dorian Gray: An Annotated, Uncensored Edition and The Walking Dead, Vol. 7: The Calm Before. Eventually I will try one of Masterton's historical novels, but so far have just been reading his horror and thrillers.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:07:48 PM PST
D. Sippel says:
Rock on Masterton fans! Seeing this thread bumped The Wells of Hell up from my TBR stack into my hands. Just 100 pages in and so far so good. This will be my 22nd Masterton novel read. There are only a few that I thought were just OK, the rest were highly entertaining at the very least.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 2:11:33 PM PST
KinksRock says:
@D. Sippel: You are way ahead of me. That's a lot of Masterton.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:52:14 AM PST
Kinks,...i just found out i cant use the half website cause im in canada......sucks really bad cause i saw lots of book i wanted from him there and they were the cheapest.....

Anyway, i just bought a few books from him on amazon.fr at a very good price.... i guess the hell candidate will have to wait another 2 weeks but its all good, i'm re-reading the Night Warriors so i'll have something good to read until they arrive...

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:34:01 AM PST
KinksRock says:
Well, that's what you get for not rebelling against the British Empire.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 6:16:14 AM PST
KinksRock says:
I'm trying out another Masterton book (but I'm tired from staying up watching the Oscars, so it's taking some time to make some headway): The Painted Man (Sissy Sawyer Mysteries)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:27:40 AM PST
D. Sippel says:
"The Wells of Hell" was just average, a lesser Masterton if you ask me. The humor was good and pacing was fine, just a bit underwritten and some of the plot devices don't make sense. This is almost always a problem when you are dealing with an all-powerful, seemingly omniscient evil force. How do your all-too-human characters believeably defeat it?

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:41:49 AM PST
KinksRock says:
Agreed. Sometimes Masterton creates these over-the-top forces that just CAN'T be defeated, and the devices he gives his characters to defeat them are too absurd. One novel that comes to mind on this point is The Manitou. I understand that the editors forced Masterton to change his original ending, but the version we got was kind of silly. I had to roll my eyes when I heard about the police computer's "manitou". I guess it was better than the film though (The Manitou).

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:42:26 AM PST
D.Sippel,... i agree with your take on "The Wells Of Hell". It wasnt his best but it was pretty good! i liked his description for those Crab monsters! Who else would've thought about writing something like this..LOL...

Kinks,.. never read any of the Sissy Sawyer series yet, i thought half.com would've took care of that for me but i guess it will be a little bit more tricky...or should i say... expensive! But its all good, my Masterton Collection Keeps growing slowly.... im currently revisiting the first night warrior book until my new books from him arrives, i've ordered CHARNEL HOUSE, DEVILS OF D DAY which i read like 15 years ago....the 2 other books are "Les visages du cauchemar" which i cant find the original title and "le maitre des mensonges"...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 8:45:05 AM PST
KinksRock says:
He's written so many damn books, he can keep us all occupied for a long time. I'm not into this Sissy Sawyer series so far though. And a new one (The Red Hotel (Sissy Sawyer Mysteries)) is going to come out now.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 8:45:54 AM PST
KinksRock says:
This is the deal. She's like a female Harry Erskine, except, while Erskine was a fake clairvoyant, Sissy Sawyer is the real deal. But she's kind of annoying as a character.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 9:07:19 AM PST
It does sound very good! Graham told me to wait for Vanessa slider and her son shem in "The Red Hotel". As i like his villians and entities he said i would love those 2...i really cant wait!!!

I think the release date here in canada will be around june 2012. Kinks,... let me know if it becomes available before that on Amazon cause im definitely buying!!!

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:00:48 PM PST
KinksRock says:
Masterton fans -- What I'd really like to do is get lots of Masterton and horror fans to read "The Hell Candidate" right before the presidential election . . . say . . . end of October . . . around Halloween. Can this be made to happen?

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 5:49:40 AM PST
KinksRock says:
So far The Painted Man (Sissy Sawyer Mysteries) is much better than Touchy and Feely (Sissy Sawyer Mysteries). I'm about halfway through, and there's more of a supernatural element to it. No gratuitous sex so far; I'm not sure where I'd put a sex scene in this one, although Masterton usually manages.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 6:19:07 AM PST
LOL,...Im sure he will! im sure there will be at least one somewhere before you finish the book. The title makes me think of the gray family story; is it like family portrait (picture of evil) ? or is it something completely different....

I received DEVILS OF D-DAY yesterday and im reading it right now. Damn its good! feels nice to read it again after all those years...This demon in the tank is crazy! love it!

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 6:29:36 AM PST
KinksRock says:
Doum - You must be some kind of evil genius, or you've read so many Masterton books that you've figured him out. Just a few pages ago "The Picture of Dorian Gray" was mentioned in the book. There is definitely a "Dorian Gray"/"Picture of Evil" element to this book.

I never read "The Devils of D-Day" so don't give too much away. (Like whether there's gore or gratuitous sex . . . lol.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2012 9:38:32 AM PST
D. Sippel says:
Devils of D-Day is one of my favorites. If the ending had been developed a bit more it would be #1 on my Best of Masterton list.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:45:54 AM PST
KinksRock says:
I have other books in my TBR pile, including a few Mastertons. But I see that "Devils" is selling for $0.48 used on amazon, so I'll definitely get to it at some point.

Knowing Masterton, in between battles, the Devils must bone a few French girls on the Omaha beach.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
192 Aug 31, 2014
Favorite TV Horror Movie Host 9 3 hours ago
The Lounge 6774 19 hours ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1481 19 hours ago
What have you watched recently? 1622 1 day ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 2192 1 day ago
Loan Library 3 8 days ago
Old horror series/episode? 3 13 days ago
Does anyone remember a story about a woman trapped in a library? 36 14 days ago
Graham Masterton 1681 14 days ago
growing up with horror 1158 24 days ago
Book with a dollhouse? 4 27 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  1682
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2012
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions