Customer Discussions > Horror forum

The Horror Thread for Horror Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 5:11:16 PM PST
D. Sippel says:
Marc - I agree on "The Ignored". The first 80% is great, fairly brilliant stuff, but the ending first gets boring as the idea well seems to dry up, and then just turns weird, as if Little just couldn't come up with a satisfying way to resolve things so just threw some random things out there to see if anything stuck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 5:15:18 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
Yup. I was amazed he could let something so good end so indifferently. It could have been an enduring classic, but wound up just an enduringly classic idea and a classic attempt.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:10:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 8:16:17 PM PST
It's been a while, but I recall being somewhat disappointed in The Ignored. The Store and the Association were much better in my opinion. I found The Mailman and The Policy to be surprisingly good, though they don't get much mention. I'd say The Town was the worst of the lot. I know a torrent site that has em.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 8:52:09 PM PST
Dingfelder says:
I remember The Store getting tons of good attention when it came out and a few years later. It's probably the second one of his I'll try ... but right now I've got way too many books to read first.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:07:39 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
I've read only short stories and one novel by Little, The Vanishing. It was really good until the end, when he, *SPOILER*literally, brought in the army to save the day. *END SPOILER*

From what other people here have said, I've gathered that Little's novels often have weak endings.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:32:58 PM PST
James Doyle says:
I was randomly browsing and read Inside: A Zombie story earlier today. It was short but quite a good read. A nice easy way to spend half an hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 5:11:29 AM PST
yes, marky...I've been doing that for Ghost Story by Peter Straub for a while now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 5:13:12 AM PST
*chuckling*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 6:33:00 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
Me too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 7:11:58 AM PST
Your right, marky77---thanks for the correction!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 12:32:54 PM PST
Marty Shaw says:
Hey, you should check out my... kidding :P

Just recently discovered this forum and really glad I did. Seed seemed to have slipped through my radar but I had to look into it after seeing everyone talk about it here. It looks awesome and has been added to my ever-growing TBR pile. *sigh* I'm going to have to become a vampire if I ever hope to live long enough to read all those books.

"Robert Heinze says:
Is it just me, or do the books on horror seem redundant with hashed out and tired ideas? I'd love to read original horror or dark fantasy that doesn't involve werewolves or zombies or "the end of the world" or vampires."

Sorry if this brushes up against self-promo territory but I wanted to let Robert know I'll have something coming out in February that's perfect for him. No vamps, wolves, or zombies in sight.

Personally, I think there are still some great zombie stories being cranked out but vampires do need to be staked for a while. We've seen them as villains, as heroes, and even as romantic leads (Ugh!) so it's really hard to find a vamp story that offers a fresh angle... although I did recently come across a book about a normal father taking care of his vampire baby. Now that's original.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 12:50:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2012 12:51:15 PM PST
I recently found a new angle on vamps:
Burden Kansas (Vampires of the Plains)

Nice to meet you, Marty!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 12:53:32 PM PST
marky77 says:
Anyone else REALLY hate that you have to shell out for a new kindle after EVERY book burning you go to!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 1:19:41 PM PST
LMAO! I hate when that happens!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 6:24:26 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
This freebie sounds totally twisted: Demonmachy: Demonic Apocalypse (Messiah of Death).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 7:37:46 PM PST
Marty Shaw says:
Nice to meet you too, Charlene. Burden Kansas definitely sounds different. Thanks for leading me to it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 5:06:21 AM PST
Are you picking that one up Nick? I 'looked inside'. The massive blood bong is turning me off a little bit!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 7:28:39 AM PST
Dingfelder says:
This one interested me because it sounds like the OLD angle on vamps. In traditional folklore, they were often smelly and disgusting, feral, and maybe sly but not sophisticated or courtly.

Also an angle I really liked in the old folklore is that they would come back to their own homes first, and infect and destroy their whole family.

There was a Boris Karloff entry in a horror anthology movie that was a great example. Boris comes back and seems steadily more evil, but as in the old folklore, the family doesn't really know what to do with him, or whether to trust him. Soon enough they find out that trusting kindly old Dad was a bit mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 7:53:42 AM PST
Marc, I thought it was very, very good. It didn't break the bank either, which is always nice.

Barbarian, I wanted to let you know I took your recommendation and am now reading Red Nails. It's quite fun so far. Conan is usually not my type of thing, but I am enjoying it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 8:59:25 AM PST
D. Sippel says:
Hey Charlene and Barbarian - I finished Red Nails yesterday. I've read my share of Conan stories, and this is another fast paced adventure and consistent with Howard's talent of weaving a darn good yarn.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 9:12:03 AM PST
D. Sippel, did you really? LOL
I haven't read any Conan stories so this is quite different for me.
I do think I've read a Solomon Kane story or two, back in the day in one of those great magazines. I remember that I always wanted to read more of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 1:07:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 1:07:25 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
I've smoked pot from worse, Charlene. ;)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:18:59 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
The Walking Dead returns Feb 12; here's a trailer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/#lb-vi2885591321

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 1:23:26 PM PST
LOL, Nick!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 4:03:24 PM PST
Charlene,

You got a problem with blood bongs?

Prude!

LOL

Thanks Nick :-)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
193 Apr 22, 2015
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 2339 7 hours ago
What have you watched recently? 1853 10 hours ago
Any good horror novels about nature going crazy? 56 1 day ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1545 2 days ago
Searching for Horror Book about Authors 0 2 days ago
The Lounge 6862 6 days ago
Book with a dollhouse? 7 11 days ago
growing up with horror 1210 16 days ago
Graham Masterton 1685 18 days ago
Zombie books with female leads 75 19 days ago
Sleepaway Camp 3 Uncut????? 4 21 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  158
Total posts:  2495
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions