What have you watched recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 11:53:45 AM PDT
marky77 says:
1) US remake of non-US film, plus
2) PG-13 horror, plus
3) Nicolas Cage

^ equals - I'd rather have a threesome with my parents than watch that movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 12:49:37 PM PDT
The original Wicker Man is a wonderful movie. The soundtrack is also worth picking up for its own sake.

The Nick Cage remake is a teeeeeeehrible and also very bad movie.

Noah Mullette-Gillman
Author of Luminous and Ominous

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 2:38:18 PM PDT
Hi, Alina. This is the first of maybe 3 (??) posts I came up with for zombie novels. All these I have read on Kindle. Most are inexpensive. Anyway here are some of the zombie books I've read and enjoyed on some level or another:
Living With the Dead: Year One ~ So far there are 5 in this series. I'm on book 5. I give this book 4 stars because I am beginning to care about the characters and the unique set up for the book. There are several grammar errors, but you can still understand what the author is conveying.
Hell Comes for the Hurried ~ It's FREE today. Very short. setting is several years after the zombies first appeared. Dark and disturbing...lol...if you like! I can't see a star rating on this..it's worth every penny...lol...spooky
Contagious (The Contagium Trilogy) ~ 99 cents today. Second book is 2.99. Third book not released,but promished before the end of this year. I give this book 4.5 stars, just because I really like it. There is a strong female lead and penty of action.
this message box is jumping so I will go onto a new posting

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:00:10 PM PDT
Z is for Zombie: George's Terms ~ good story. I don't recall a lot of grammar errors, but I don't really remember. There are several books in the story, but it does come to an end.
Hunger For Truth: A Short Story~ FREE today. It's a pretty good little story.
Parasite; The True Story of the Zombie Apocalypse. I enjoyed this one with the absent minded "chemist".
Saving Jebediah; Another True Story from the Zombie Apocalypse. Free today. About a young man wanting to savehis uncle from the zombies. Uncle lives on a farm.
The Tilian Virus: Book One of The Pandemic Sequence. Three books in series. I enjoyed this one, but can't recall too much about it at this time.
Run from the Rising. 99 cents today. I recall enjoying this book,but I can not remember what it was about, except there were zombies and survivors.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:01:31 PM PDT
Alina, I will post some more tomorrow. ~ MP

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 4:08:02 PM PDT
Darn, Alina! I just figured out you can jump over to this other discussion and see what I posted there. I can't believe I didn't think of this before!...well, actually, I can believe it, because I did it...so here we go http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20book/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg46?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3RFWX8IMGF85E&cdPage=46&cdThread=TxKFQCIAN6OG9B

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:12:44 PM PDT
(awkwardly asks) What's up with all the book talk on this movie thread?

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 3:43:14 AM PDT
Hi, Baron. It's evolving!! Actually someone ask about a list of zombie books. I had typed several book before I realized I could simply provide a link from a reading thread where I listed several zombie books. As far as horror movies go, thought of an old (1930s?) one last night. I hope it doesn't offend anyone.Freaks. I also see it can be purchased from amazon with additional early horror films TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Horror (House of Wax 1953 / The Haunting 1963 / Freaks / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941). These may be available on Nextflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:08:23 AM PDT
Alina says:
Ha-ha.

I have watched it because I thought I shouldn't criticise movies that I haven't seen.

Enjoy a "best scenes of" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

It is ridiculously bad to the point that you have to ask yourself "what were they thinking"?

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 5:15:58 AM PDT
lol, Hi, Alina...are you talking about Freaks? Yes, it is bad, bad, bad...but a horror movie it is and an old one. I'm thinking it was made in 1932 in USA and was banned in same country until the early 1980s. It was sort of a big deal at the time it was released, at least in all those upsale/Yuppie movie theaters my husband and I use to frequent at that time. At the time it was so bad that you had to see it. I thought it had an awfully weird, somewhat unique ending...lol...just the name of the movie is weird. Did you watch on You Tube? If I go to You Tube I'll get another virus. My laptop does not like You Tube???

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:27:28 AM PDT
Alina says:
No, Michigan, I was replying to marky77's post about the U.S. remake of The Wicker Man. If you look at the top right hand of my post you'll see a link to the "earlier post" that I was replying too.

I own Freaks. It's a really interesting movie and I think very similar to The Wicker Man in that the characters whom you developed a fondness for throughout the beginning of the movie eventually turn into monsters. I agree it has an absolutely unique ending and should be watched by all lovers of horror movies as a classic.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:30:09 AM PDT
Ah Duh!! I always forget to look at those!!...well sometimes I remember and sometimes I forget. Good new is I only have 4 more songs to record!!! YEA!

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:42:31 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Just watched RED EYE, starring Cillian Murphy and Rachel McAdams, last night. Quite a good thriller! And it didn't drag out the ending as some of them do.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 7:53:10 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Did Nick Cage scream at all, and act goofy?

Don't bother answering.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 9:27:10 AM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Yesterday:

And God Said to Cain by Antonio Margheriti; 1969 spaghetti western; I cannot vouch for the product linked here, but the one I saw was a great NTSC widescreen print; 8.5 or more/10.

Code Name:Wild Geese by Antonio Margheriti; early 80's action; again, I cannot vouch for the product linked here, but the one I saw was a very good German PAL widescreen print; 8.5 or more/10. They just don't make them like this anymore.

Ghosthouse by Umberto Lenzi under the pseudonym of Humphrey Humbert; 1987 haunted house type film; Japanese import 1.85:1; so far my least favorite Lenzi film; maybe 4/10.

Zombie Holocaust aka Doctor Butcher MD by Marino Girolami aka Frank Martin from 1980; not your typical zombie film or your typical cannibal film; it's a mash up of medical horror, zombies and cannibals; this thing is all over the place; 2nd viewing (which I saw as Doctor Butcher MD) yesterday was much better than 1st viewing (which was Zombi Holocaust) earlier this year; either way, not the greatest; 5 to 6/10. However, I will say that Doctor Butcher MD is a much better title for this given the content.

Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper by Joe D'Amato; late 70's I believe; I've seen everything, but I must say that a couple of D'Amato's (aka Aristide Massaccessi) films are amongst the most disturbing; maybe 6/10 or a bit more...probably more because of the extended sailing scenes and Greek locations. Disc 2 contains a decent hour-long documentary about D'Amato's career.

Title...."Nekromantik" from '87; German film; there's a pretty disturbing scene in this, I must say, but I wouldn't watch this again, I don't think. Part 2 is on tap. 4 to 5/10.

High Noon: 60th Anniversary Edition [Blu-ray] on blu ray, starring Gary Cooper, directed by Fred Zinneman. This is a masterpiece western drama that looks and sounds fantastic on blu ray. 10/10, easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 9:37:57 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
The only one of those I've seen is HIGH NOON. Everyone should see that. Great acting by Gary Cooper as a man who must stand alone against evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:29:03 PM PDT
Michigan Parents,

This is so funny, I actually dug out my copy of "Freaks" to watch this month. It's something of a curio, isn't it.

Nothing beats "The Haunting" (from that TCM set you mentioned) from 1963. Such a successful fright-fest without any cheesy gimmicks ... just good storytelling, direction, sound design, ingenuity, and atmosphere. I love it.
And "House of Wax" is a class act of a horror film.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 5:31:24 PM PDT
I heard that was the debut of Grace Kelly, "High Noon". Good film.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:17:46 AM PDT
I've not seen much of Grace Kelly, other than one of my favorite movies "Rear Window".
Seriously, I could watch that movie all day over and over again and not get tired of it.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 9:36:26 AM PDT
After 3 intense days of work, I am taking it easy watching King of the Zombies (1941). Listing from $ 5. to $ 10. Can watch it on Netflix instant watch. It's on every year OnDemand on AMC...Where gory matters...lol (Honestly every time this man calls the lead "Mr. Bill" I can't help but think about the SNL Mr. Bill skits.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 1:11:53 PM PDT
Grace is so lovely in "Rear Window". And that slow motion kiss is something. I'm not attracted to Jimmy Stewart but that was some kiss; I always get peeved at him in that movie for treating her like an old shoe... um, hello, there's a charming and gorgeous lady right in front of you!

Thelma Ritter's good in that, too. Such an earthy, smart gal that she plays. Great film.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 1:55:53 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
I'm looking forward to seeing THE GIRL on HBO this month! The trailer looks very interesting. Too bad Alfred's no longer alive to defend himself.
http://theweek.com/article/index/231594/hbos-the-girl-was-alfred-hitchcock-an-evil-sexual-deviant

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 2:34:23 PM PDT
I saw the preview for that the other night, Juz. It does look interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 2:34:55 PM PDT
Yes, Ms. Ritter was excellent in it. I love them all in that movie, I truly do. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 9:26:39 AM PDT
Becky.horror says:
Where has every1 gone, i was appalled to see this thread had almost disappeared, a few jumped back to the 'lesser appreciated' thread but i think this is a must for reviews and old films alike.
Come back every1!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  1429
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2012
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions