Customer Discussions > Horror forum

The Horror Thread for Horror Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 2495 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 1, 2012 12:20:00 PM PST
The interest in some of the free horror novels available in Kindle and the occasional free or bargain novel is rising. So let's have a thread where we can put that info together. What great horror have you found for Kindle?

Hopefully this won't turn into a rampant author self promotion thread.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 2:30:43 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 8, 2012 1:50:05 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 9:40:11 PM PST
That didn't take long.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:07:49 PM PST
Origin I got this for free the other day. Haven't finished it yet, but a very suspenseful read. The question of exactly what Bub is, what he knows, and exactly what he's up to has kept me reading.

The Turtle Boy (The Timmy Quinn Series (Book One)) Stylistically, I really enjoyed reading this. I don't really like stories that focus on children, but I would probably get the rest just because I think the author is an excellent writer.

The Hour of the Time The ending is somewhat disappointing, but it was well-executed suspense-wise.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 6:33:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 9:00:33 AM PST
Seed My favorite read of the year. It was on sale for free over the holiday weekend, but now is still only 2.99.

I will also second The Turtle Boy (The Timmy Quinn Series (Book One)). Be aware though, I think there are 3 or 4 more to this series, but they are very reasonably priced.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 10:33:44 AM PST
That made me literally laugh out loud... And I'm at work... :/

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 12:03:25 PM PST
I snagged Seed for free a few days ago. That will be the next thing I read. Lots of good things being said about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 12:16:37 PM PST
Clay, hope you enjoy it! Please come by and let us know your thoughts when you're done.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 10:52:47 AM PST
A. R. Wise says:
I am desperately trying to resist the temptation to self promote. Gah! It's very, very hard to do.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 2:50:31 PM PST
A. R. Wise, we can click on your name and see who you are and what you have. If you start spamming, it will 1) Tick people off 2)cause a whole bunch of people to come here and tell you spamming isn't allowed and 3) kill any desire on our part to look at your work.
If you hang out and chat for a bit, or recommend someone else's books, that would work. We will find your book if we are interested. : )
So what are ya reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 7:39:17 PM PST
Re: I am desperately trying to resist the temptation to self promote. Gah! It's very, very hard to do.

Self control is your friend. Be a good example ... not one of those rude jerks who plasters the forums with ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2012 10:41:39 AM PST
Wise, your restraint has inspired me to take a look at your books.

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 12:22:15 PM PST
mark says:
Agreed, You can promote in the meet our authors thread. I haven't checked out seed yet, I think I should now.
Thanks
Mark

Flux

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 10:55:56 AM PST
I finished Seed. Overall very good. I thought the writing style was a little rushed in the first half of the book. The segments would end abruptly leaving the reader to fill in details that were easy to fill in, but still felt unpolished to me. As for the story, it doesn't try to do anything spectacular, just a scary story. I found the last half absolutely riveting. The story is scary, disturbing and heart-wrenching, especially for a parent.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 11:03:24 AM PST
Clay, I thought it was gutsy of the author to have it end the way it did. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I will leave it at that.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 11:07:16 AM PST
Yes...nice ending.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 5:55:00 PM PST
D. Sippel says:
Great take on Seed, Clay, I agree. Better than most recent kindle releases by new authors, but no horror classic. I finished The Missing Boatman today and it was another typically good kindle offering: reasonably enjoyable, well priced, not edited as well as it could be, and ultimately making me want to go back to my stack of good old fashioned paper books. I think e-books are the way of the future, but they still have a long way to go.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 1:43:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 1:43:50 PM PST
JoCat says:
Seed was both horrifying and heartbreaking at the same time... not something you often find in a horror book
hi Charlene :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 4:43:48 PM PST
Granny T. says:
Hi Joanne and Charlene,

Just peeked in here anticipating my iPhone Kindle reader app. I was surprised and pleased to find you here. Don't know if there's a Kindle version of Cormac McCarthy's The Road...there must be, but it's definitely in the "horrifying and heart-breaking category. I was actually a little appalled to hear a movie had been released. You couldn't pay me enough!

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 4:56:29 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
There's an upcoming Kindle Fire contest from Ereader News Today. Authors included are horror and mystery writer Scott Nicholson, who has made a number of (non-spam) appearances on the "Horror Books" thread, his sometimes collaborator J.R. Rain, and two other authors I'm not acquainted with. See the link for more details.

http://ereadernewstoday.com/free-kindle-fire-contest-coming-up/6710212/

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:27:05 AM PST
Thanks, Nick!

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 6:50:35 AM PST
There is a story called "Critique" by Daniel I. Russell that is a really satisfying horror read. I had never read anything by this author before, but this novella is engrossing and and stylish and gross - all at the same time! It is about a food critic who becomes physically and mentally addicted to the food of a 'Svengoli'-type chef, to the point where he will eat almost anything and kill almost anyone just to get his fix. Highly recommend.Critique

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 9:02:56 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 11:23:13 AM PST
Marc Iverson says:
How about some thinly-concealed advertisements? Those are always fun.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 4:23:02 PM PST
Kin by Kealan Patrick Burke sounds great. Gonna have to check that one out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 100 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
191 Jan 22, 2013
What have you watched recently? 1144 2 hours ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 973 2 hours ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 1076 20 hours ago
Books like Rosemary's Baby 4 3 days ago
The Lounge 6500 6 days ago
OK., Stephen King is making me insecure... 13 11 days ago
Looking to a really GOOD Horror novel.. 11 13 days ago
the very best ghost novel? 85 17 days ago
Graham Masterton 1674 21 days ago
The classic horror cinema fan club 89 23 days ago
growing up with horror 811 27 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  158
Total posts:  2495
Initial post:  Jan 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions