Customer Discussions > Horror forum

the very best ghost novel?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2010 5:12:22 PM PDT
HI. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE VERY BEST GHOST NOVEL? YES,
ONES THAT HAUNT HOUSES OR PEOPLE OR ROADS.

NAME YOUR BEST HERE.....

*Short stories are really not my thing*

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 5:28:10 PM PDT
bart fargo says:
Let me be the first to say Ghost Story by Peter Straub.
One of the few truly frightening novels I've ever read.
If you haven't read it yet, please do. I love recommending it
because it is truly epic.
The real thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2010 10:19:39 AM PDT
The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James

Or is it?

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 1:38:38 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 5:00:36 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
The Haunting by Shirley Jackson, of course.

Ghost Story, while a great book, really contains maybe one ghost. Or two.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 7:08:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2010 7:10:17 PM PDT
C. Casey says:
I see someone beat me to the punch with Ghost Story. There is a novel based on a true story called 'Where has Jesse Gone?' Can't remember the name of the author but it was a very interesting-a woman rents an old farmhouse and the nursery is in perfect condition. There is no dust on the furniture and the clothes in the dresser are still pristine. The renter dreams of a woman who gets raped in a barn every night. I read it when I was younger and it gave me goosebumps. Enjoy!

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 4:07:11 PM PST
Did you try Stephen King's Bag of Bones?

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 5:45:28 AM PST
One of the creepiest I've read recently is Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill. The haunting in this novel had my skin crawling. Highly recommend.
I also recently read The Birthing House: A Novel by Christopher Ransom and enjoyed it as well.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 2:27:15 PM PST
Ron says:
The Uninvited by Dorothy Macardle.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 4:32:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2010 4:38:00 PM PST
I see Straub, Jackson and James have been mentioned already. Here's more good ones

Naomi's Room - Jonathan Aycliffe
Terrifying examination of a lost child and an old secret. Scared the bejeesus out of me. His other books are all spookily great too, in particular THE MATRIX

Cast a Cold Eye - Alan Ryan
This one is terrifying and heartbreaking -- well worth seeking out

William Meikle
Carnacki: Heaven and Hell
The Haunting of Esther Cox

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 1:14:19 AM PST
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the best ghost story ever: The Shining by Stephen King.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 3:35:20 AM PST
One ghost story I enjoyed was The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill. I don't see a Kindle version of it out yet and I read the paperback. There apparently is a video from a BBC version of this, but when I was looking for it several years ago, it was very expensive since it was not being produced any more.

John T. Gaffield
Heir to Winston Manor
The Wahl House Curse

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 4:36:23 AM PST
J. Turner says:
John - the woman in black is also available on dvd - I have it in my collection. Try Ebay. It's ITV though, not the BBC. However the BBC have done some stunning chillers, especially in the 70s/80s. Adaptations of 'Whistle and I'll come to you...' etc. Very pricey but worth it!

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 8:54:38 AM PST
recluse says:
"Dead Lines" by John Skipp and Craig Spector.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 9:36:32 AM PST
I'd second the vote for Shirley Jackson to be honest... Truely brilliant. The Haunting of Hill House (Penguin Classics). I also really liked The House Next Door by Anne River Siddons, but although it's almost a haunted house story those no actual ghost... still worth a read though.

James
Feed the Enemy

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011 5:56:04 AM PST
Lee says:
If you want to read a very scary ghost story, try Ghosts by Noel Hynd.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2011 8:01:42 AM PST
RT Twinem says:
Thanks for that recommendation I just order myself a copy of Cast a Cold Eye form amazon...being from Northern Ireland myself I am always interested to read good Irish ghost stories...one that does stick in my mind is A terrible Beauty by Graham Masterton creepy and scary and immersed in folklore...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 9:05:38 AM PST
while I don't like the work of Joe Hill's father, I I absolutely LOVED Heart-Shaped Box and will re-read it repeatedly. This says a lot because I get bored with books easily; however, I would not really call this the creepiest book. It has some very 'attention catching' pages from the beginning and it may be a little spooky. I thought False Memory by Dean Koontz was creepier. It's hard for me to find books scary enough though, so what do I know?

Posted on Feb 7, 2011 10:14:02 AM PST
So Cold the River - a straight-up ghost story and mystery. I especially liked it because I've been to French Lick, arriving at night, and the hotel just looked haunted.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 6:33:30 PM PST
recluse says:
"The Ghost Writer" by John Harwood, an excellent homage to the Victorian ghost story tradition.

"The Uncanny" by Andrew Klavan, a great modern ghost story.

"The Off Season: A Victorian Sequel" by Jack Cady, is a brilliant horror novel, filled with a sense of dread and melancholy. It is also often hysterically funny, populated by bored ghosts just going through the motions and a self aware house that likes to wander.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 6:50:01 PM PST
Cornboy says:
Yep, I have to go with The Haunting of Hill House, and second on The Shining. Some of the James Herbert "David Ash" books were a little creepy but not on that level.

Scott Nicholson
Crime Beat
Speed Dating with the Dead

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 3:52:17 AM PST
J Lawrence says:
Hi all

I bought a book called Book Of Trinity by AJ Ryder. It is one hell of a scary supernatural horror - and based on a true story too.

Here's the blurb posted on Amazon:
Taken from documentation written at the time, this novel - set between 1988 and 1993 - revolves around one woman's struggle against poltergeist activity, demonic possession and ultimate Exorcism at her home in the quaint English village of Slapton, Buckinghamshire. It is unknown how the demonic spirit came to be at the cottage, but its presence resulted in a battle ensuing between God and Satan as they waged war for souls. Finding herself caught in the middle and desperate for salvation from the evil spirit and ghosts which resided with her, Joanna turned to the Church for help, only to discover that the Exorcist appointed for the task would be less than accommodating.

Book Of Trinity: A true story which revolves around one woman's struggle against evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:44:15 PM PDT
F. Spinney says:
An amazing book

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 3:46:51 PM PDT
F. Spinney says:
I really loved David Golemon's book The Supernaturals. It was a good old fashion ghost story that kept you on the edge of your seat, in this age of vampires, werewolves and zombies (not my thing).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 10:16:05 AM PST
Priscilla says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions