Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Horror Shorts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2008 3:33:29 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Here are a few horror shorts I wrote last year.

They're not perfect, but I haven't read any work that was flawless.

http://www.frighthouse.scriptmania.com/whats_new_1.html

Lydia :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 3:45:49 PM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Oh! What a relief! When I saw the title of this thread I thought some guy was whining about how he hadn't washed his underwear in awhile.

Sorry. And I'll check that out when I can. Thanks for posting it.

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 4:17:51 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hi M. Hammonds,

Okie dokie! LOL Thanks for reading my post.

Let me know what you think about my stories if you ever get the chance to read some of them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 4:07:44 AM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
Not bad at all. The last one was my favorite, probably because it was the longest-- though still not long enough LOL-- and I didn't see the ending coming, which is always a good thing, especially when I feel afterward that I probably should have seen it. I saw where the one about the hanged girl was going but that was all right, I'm a sucker for zombie stories.

Speaking of which, have you ever been to Homepage of the Dead? They have a Fiction section on there with a slew of stories by different contributors, some very good some not so good, that you would probably find interesting and perhaps you could even contribute something yourself.

Thanks for posting this and it's a pleasure talking to you.

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 5:41:30 AM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hi Chris!

Thanks for actually finding time to read my stories! I'm very glad you liked them.

Last year there was this one person (she wasn't familiar with the whole zombie thing) who was confused by "The Bizarre Death Of Dorian Ross". But once I explained it to her, it all made sense.

No, I don't recall the site you mentioned. What's the address?

Thank you for thinking my stories are good enough to be contributed to this site!

It's been very nice talking with you too.

Lydia :D

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 6:08:13 AM PDT
Hy Lydia,

I really liked your last story about the woman never afraid. That was cool, I liked the ending I wasn't expecting that twist.
I thought the hanged girl was okay, and I really liked the first one about being "God's monster".

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 6:44:45 AM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hey L, thanks!

I know it sounds corny, but I do appreciate your feelings about my stories. And you know what? Sometimes I actually do feel like "God's Monster."

Thanks again,

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 7:01:23 AM PDT
You're welcome!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 2:02:21 PM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
The addy is http://www.homepageofthedead.com/ and it has several different sections; the site is dedicated to Romero's Dead films. I found it years ago by accident. You have to register to read the stories but Neil-- the owner-- never shares info with anyone else, and I've never even gotten an EM from the site itself, so it's safe.

And, like I said, the stories vary in quality, some being publishable to some being unreadable. And I'm just telling you that in case the first couple you read are awful LOL. There was a long script I read on there a few years ago that I thought was excellent. I talked with the author and he told me a college wherever he lived was actually working on filming it. Don't know what happened to it, though.

Enjoy!
Chris

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 2:45:06 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Good Evening Chris,

I'm going to check out the site when I've finished writing you. It sounds interesting and I adore Romero.

I cannot wait to read some of the stories. Do you have any favorites you can recommend?

Do you recall the title of the script? If so, is it still posted?

Thank you again and TC.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 4:07:30 PM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
I can't remember the script name but it would be farther back in the archives if it's still there at all.

And I purposely didn't tell you any particular story because I want you to look at the ones you want to look at. I tend to stick with the short stories because of time but occasionally I delve into the mediums. (Another reason I didn't tell you a story title is because it's been a month or so since I could get on the site, I can't remember a specific story, and I didn't want to expose my failing memory for all to see... what? What do you mean "other people read this"? D'OH! LOL)

Anyway... enjoy! And let me know what you think when you get a chance.

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 5:10:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2008 5:11:36 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hello Again Chris,

That's okay if you don't remember. I kind of felt as if I was putting you on the spot. LOL

I checked out the site and signed up for HPotD forum. I read one of the stories and found it to be really good. I'll probably try contributing something once I get a feel for the site. But so far I like it!

Lydia D

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2008 1:59:30 AM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
I went to HPOD and found two for you. Go to page 21 in the Fiction section, which is where the oldest stuff is, and there are two stories there. One is the script I told you about, Carnivores by Michael Gurwitz, the other is a pretty cool story that was filmed by friends of the site at one time written by the site owner, Neil Fawcett, titled An Eye for an Eye. There are others, too, like on page 18 Dawn of the Dead, The Day After, which is the first in a series of stories that basically tie Peter from Dawn with characters from NOTLD '90 and Day, and there was one that I couldn't find-- they had a hacker crash the site a couple years ago or so and some of the stories were lost-- about Frankenstein's Monster that I thought was very well done.

That's all for now. Talk to you later.
Chris

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2008 4:26:41 AM PDT
LBOSS says:
Good Morning Chris,

Thanks for going through so much trouble to find the script and stories. I'll be sure to check them out. They all sound pretty darn interesting.

I also want to make a list of books to read this summer. I've been playing more video games over the past few years than reading books. I miss reading a lot. I recall a few years ago when I read 10-15 books (small books) in less than a week. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 12:40:34 AM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
I accepted your invite-- when I was going to my page to invite you LOL. I don't know what good that does but I do enjoy talking with you.

They're not horror-- you mentioned a reading list-- but I would suggest virtually anything by Harlan Ellison, The Deathbird Stories and Angry Candy leap out first, and then Dangerous Visions and Again Dangerous Visions, both of which are collections of sf (old definition, "speculative fiction") stories by various authors that Ellison edited. These last two are OOP but I'm sure you can find them at a library somewhere where you live, or perhaps even in a used bookstore. This last is not likely but it is where I got my copy of each (the paperback of Again is split into two volumes).

Then there're the old standbys: Barker, Lovecraft, Gaiman, etc. All of these craft superior stories of horror and dark fantasy. I'm sure you have your own favorites, though, care to share them?

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 5:44:32 AM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hi M!

Thanks for your kind words. I do appreciate them very much. I enjoy talking with you too!

I'm going to make a note of your suggestions. I'll try my sister's book club and find out if they carry these titles. I'm going to mix it up this summer. A little horror, some humor, a bit of drama.

And now for my List of suggestions:

1. The Exorcist
2. Nightmares and Dreamscapes
3. Pet Semetery
4. Comes The Blind Fury
5. Nathaniel,
6. The Second Child
7. The Fifth Child
8. Rosemary's baby
9. Suffer The Children
10. The Thief Of Always

My favorite authors: RL Stine, John Saul, Edgar Allan Poe, Anne Rice, Clive Barker, Stephen King, and many, many more!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 3:56:28 AM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
I know the feeling. Another thing I love to read is history. 1776 is a great book, as is Founding Brothers. Team of Rivals is an excellent account of the men who Abraham Lincoln chose for his cabinet, and Manhunt is the definitive account of the assassination of Lincoln and the chase for Booth in my opinion.

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 4:56:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2008 4:57:17 AM PDT
LBOSS says:
Good Morning Chris,

I'm really interested in "1776 and Manhunt." I'll probably borrow them from the library this summer. If not, I'll purchase them.

Thank you for your recommendations! Have you read the "Fifth Child"? If not it's a very good book to add to your collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 3:03:50 PM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Good morning to you, too, Lydia (I just got up LOL)-

I never even heard of The Fifth Child until you mentioned it in here. What's it about?

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 3:24:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2008 3:25:53 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Good Evening Chris!

Did you get enough rest? LOL

The Fifth Child is about a happy couple who is blessed with four beautiful children and then along comes Ben. He's a problem waiting to be born growing inside his mother's womb. Ben is both deformed and evil.

You should be able to read more about it here on Amazon (I don't want to give too much of it a way). The Fifth Child was very good in my opinion, but you may feel differently Chris.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 3:57:01 PM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
I work nights. Alll of us vampires do LOL.

That does sound interesting but I know what you mean. You just never know how something will strike someone else. Like 28 Weeks Later. I thought 28 Days Later was a superior horror film filled with action, suspense and a true sense of never knowing what was going to happen next. Weeks I thought was weak, a good beginning which sagged once the mother was found and the father became infected. It bothered me-- a lot-- that he killed the mother that way as it was such a blatant rip-off of the most talked-about kill of the original, but then it got worse. The fact that he evidently had a tracking device on the kids (which someone I talked to shrugged off as being typical for slasher film killers like Jason-- and that completely misses the point LOL) and the lamely "apocalyptic" ending-- reminiscent of nothing so much as Night of the Zombies-- just disgusted me to no end. I look at it's page in here and all the reviews are glowing. Oh, well LOL.

Talk to you later,
Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 5:21:40 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hi Chris I kind of figured you worked nights. :)

I liked 28 days later and like you, I liked 28 weeks later up until the coward kills his poor infected wife.

The way he killed his wife angered me tremendously. I mean, it really wasn't his fault about what happened to his wife, but at least he could have tried to protect her.

Hope to talk with you soon,

P.S. Your anger towards 28 Weeks later reminds me of how I felt about Halloween Resurrection. I thought for sure this Halloween would finally explain what happened to Michael that night he killed his sister, but was wrong. I became very hyper and needed to talk it out with one of my sisters. LOL. But after I watched it a few times it became one of my favorite Halloween entries.

Besides, for me, the best explanation was in Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers. But then again, Rob Zombie's explanation is pretty good also!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 6:39:57 PM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Lydia-
Just didn't want you to think I was lazy. You should really get to know me a little better before that realization sinks in LOL.

As for Halloween: Resurrection: I really hated it because it destroyed what was so great about H20, the finality of its ending. Having one's head chopped off is usually enough to end any threat, but Res takes that and turns it upside down in the first few minutes and left me feeling empty for having even watched that much of it. Halloween, II, and H20, to me are really the only ones worth watching in this series, although I admit I have seen them all.

Zombie's H remake was fine until Micheal got back to Haddonfield. Zombie's stated intention was to take all the magic out of the story, to make it the story of a serial killer plain and simple. So how does Mike find his sister at all? And then there were the scenes where he followed someone all over the place then just followed them back to where they were in the first place. I have no problem suspending my disbelief but I refuse to throw my intellect completely out the window LOL.

And that was a lot of what I didn't like about The Strangers, as well. Too much of the film just didn't make sense. For instance, not to get too far into it as I don't think that's fair if you haven't seen it, I don't know anyone with a cell phone that can't be used while charging. I know that seems like a small quibble but there were things like that all through the picture. The saddest thing was if they had set the film when the incident upon which it is based was supposed to have occured, in 1981, the movie would suddenly become far more plausible.

Gotta go. Talk to you later.

Your friend the curmudgeon LOL,
Chris

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 7:03:35 PM PDT
LBOSS says:
Hi again Chris,

I haven't seen "The Strangers" yet, but will try to soon. When I do I'll let you know how I feel about it. "The Happening" sounds good also. Do you plan on seeing it? Or did we discuss this already?

I don't think you're a curmudgeon. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 4:55:07 AM PDT
M. Hammonds says:
Morning, Lydia-
I want to see The Happening, too. The trailer looks good, although that is what trailers are supposed to do, isn't it LOL? I am hopeful, at least. We'll see.

What are your favorite zombie films, BTW?

Chris
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
193 Apr 22, 2015
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 2339 2 hours ago
What have you watched recently? 1853 6 hours ago
Any good horror novels about nature going crazy? 56 1 day ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1545 2 days ago
Searching for Horror Book about Authors 0 2 days ago
The Lounge 6862 6 days ago
Book with a dollhouse? 7 11 days ago
growing up with horror 1210 16 days ago
Graham Masterton 1685 18 days ago
Zombie books with female leads 75 19 days ago
Sleepaway Camp 3 Uncut????? 4 21 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  May 28, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions