Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Looking for horror fiction about witches, esp. male witches

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2012 10:16:03 AM PDT
Shannon M. says:
I've been searching Amazon for a while now, and maybe I'm just not using the right key words, but they just don't seem to get what I'm looking for.
I read a book a long time ago called The Burning by Jeff Fain, and I loved it. It was about a coven of witches battling a Fire demon. Anyway, I found myself loving the character named Olen, who was a male witch.
I want to read OTHER books about witches or witchcraft, but every one I find is all about the women. I prefer the men (it's just who I am-don't judge me:-)
Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any such books? I would be grateful.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 8:45:49 AM PDT
Mrs. Danvers says:
Try the Rowan Gant series by M.R. Sellars.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 12:58:44 PM PDT
Harry Potter is a male witch, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2012 9:56:19 PM PDT
Shannon M. says:
No, actually, Harry Potter is a little boy. I'm looking for grown up books with grown up witches (not wizards), although I do love Harry Dresden, I'm looking for horror-based witches.
Thanks, Mrs. Danvers, the Rowan Gant series does look interesting, and I've already ordered the first one.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:15:10 PM PDT
I'd use Amazon's search function within the horror book discussions using the word "warlock"; something might come up.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 4:25:23 AM PDT
Self-Promotion but Diana's Dreams Has two Wizards/warlocks battling it out. PLUS it's free today 10/8

I love Harry Dresden too. There are never enough Dresden books!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:46:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 8:09:48 PM PST
Thome Ward says:
I am also self promoting, but my book has three witches battling for power in the days of the witch trials (early 17th century) in England. As well as a werewolf and occult forces. It is a horror.The Trial of John Goode

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:01:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 6:03:10 AM PST
It seems that authors' self-promotion on Amazon's community boards has become the norm. The routine is, a person looking for a certain kind of fiction starts a thread, and then the unsolicited peddlers begin to appear. These threads are obviously not asking for new or indy authors (when there are threads that already do that); really, not many people would seek out books written by first-time authors, by someone not established.

There's got to be a better way for indy scribes, a less nervy way. Maybe they don't even know about the "Meet Our Authors" section of the community.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 7:31:51 AM PST
Agreed, Baron! I don't think they are told about the MOA. Which is why I try (emphasis on try) to be polite the first time. : )

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:08:46 PM PST
Thome Ward says:
I am sorry about that. I just saw the thread about witches and could not help myself. My book really is about witches, whom I think are an under-served minority in horror figures. (of course I am not talking about wiccans or nature magickians but rather the cannibalistic and evil worshiping hags of myth.) I certainly did not mean to cause a backlash, and apologize. I read the forums quite often and this is the first time I have said anything, please excuse my comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:12:09 AM PST
Thank you, Mr. Ward. You're more than welcome to hang out and post here, without the self-promo. : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 1:34:04 AM PST
Thome Ward says:
Well thank you. I will try and be more conscientious about promotion in proper place.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 7:50:00 AM PST
J. K. Grice says:
CONJURE WIFE by Fritz Leiber is a great choice.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 8:23:11 AM PST
Shannon M. says:
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. Some of them look good and I've added them to my wish list.
I understand Amazon policy, but I don't mind a bit of self-promotion, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. I, unlike a lot of people, don't have a prejudice against unknown authors, and if a story sounds good, I'll read it. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:24:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 9:35:58 AM PST
M. Carole says:
UF has a ton of male wizards if you're willing to dabble in mixed genres. Since you liked Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, I'd say Harry Connolly's Twenty Palaces, Mike Carey's Felix Castor, Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus, Marc Del Franco's Connor Gray, Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant, C.C. Finlay's Patriot Witch, and John Levitt's Dog Days all come to mind, and that's just skimming the surface. I don't really consider male witches under-represented since they're all over that genre. Twenty Palaces and Felix Castor are probably the most in line with horror.

ETA: Justin Gustainis has some good stuff as well, specifically Morris and Chastain has some nasty mojo.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 9:53:14 AM PST
I have no problems with self pubbed or unknown authors. I do have a problem with every other post being self pubbed authors self promoting and Amazon has a problem with it as well. (Hence, the important announcement from Amazon at the top of the horror forum.)

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 7:44:12 AM PST
J. K. Grice says:
I just finished reading Stephen Dobyn's The Burn Palace. What a fantastic book!! I thought you might enjoy it Shannon because witchcraft is at the center of the much of the story. I've been waiting patiently for another Dobyn's novel ever since reading The Church of Dead Girls years ago. These are two of the greatest thrillers I've read in the past decade.

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 12:18:52 PM PDT
Glenn bullion (a witch to live)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013 12:22:55 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
I'm reading Gustainis and agree. Of course, this particular OP is looking for *male* witches in particular, and the witches in the Morris & Chastain novels are (so far, for me) female.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions