Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Werewolves

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2010 8:27:08 AM PST
Clay Chapman says:
I've always been a fan of werewolf movies and books. Just saw The Wolfman yesterday and felt it was so-so. It got me thinking about some of my favorite werewolf movies and books, and I had trouble coming up with very many.

Movies: "An American Werewolf in London" has to the best; honorable mention for "Silver Bullet" based on King's "Cycle of the Werewolf" novella.

Fiction: Previously mentioned "Cycle of the Werewolf"; I also enjoyed the anthology "The Mammoth Book of Werewolves".

Can anyone help me come up with some other, good werewolf movies and fiction?

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 10:33:41 AM PST
Dramamine says:
My favorite is Dog Soldiers.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 11:15:09 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 29, 2010 6:36:54 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 1:02:08 PM PST
Ditmars1929 says:
I recently read Shapeshifter by JF Gonzalez. Great premise and a lot of fun too.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 1:05:33 PM PST
Ditmars1929 says:
Oh, forgot to mention - I just read Frostbite, the first installment of a werewolf trilogy, by David Wellington. He also has a zombie trilogy and a vampire trilogy out there too.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 4:56:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2010 8:52:26 PM PST
Fans of this genre might enjoy renting the film The Company of Wolves, from 1984, directed by Neil Jordan. It is in essence a dark and atmospheric and bloody retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood tale. The production design is far above average, as is the cinematography and score. It's scary, sexy, lush, inventive, and strange. Very much like a dream. British stage and screen veteran Angela Lansbury has a small role as the feisty Granny. This film is totally worth a look even though the effects were very "1980's" and might be scoffed at by some people.

Another wicked and horrific take on a classic fairy tale is Snow White - A Tale of Terror. Sigourney Weaver plays Claudia the evil stepmother, and the makeup on her as the old apple-toting hag is nothing short of amazing. This film takes some big liberties with the plot but it's unique and interesting.

My favorite werewolf films include
THE HOWLING
AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
THE WOLF MAN (1941)
SILVER BULLET
WOLFEN
THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (Hammer Studios, with Oliver Reed)
I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (fun to watch those old drive-in flicks, and this one was skewered by MST3K)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 12:36:41 AM PST
The new Wolfman movie is a bloody delight, the homages to Werewolf of London, American Werewolf in London, and the original Wolfman are all there. A bit more of the forrrestr scenes would have made this movie perfect, one can hope if a sequel is made that the atmosphere of the woods will be more prominetly featured.
Best Werewolf movies
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps
The Wolfman (both versions)
Werewolf of London
American Werewolf in London
Curse of the Werewolf (oliver reed)

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 12:45:12 AM PST
V. Sotello says:
Ginger Snaps and The Company of Wolves are my fave werewolf movies. Though, TCoW is nothing like most of the werewolf movies out there. It's more of a weird, horror version of the Little Red Riding Hood story, and includes lots of werewolf and wolf folklore. A good book to read is The Book of Werewolves by Sabine Baring Gould. No werewolf fan should go without this book in their collection. It's a timeless piece about the study of lycanthropy, includes some folklore of the werewolf, and a couple chapters on real criminals who i suppose depicted werewolf-like behaviour.

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 7:51:29 PM PST
The Howling. I'm also one of the few people who loves Howling III:The Marsupials. It's strange but very interesting!

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 8:52:01 PM PST
The Howling. Of course, that was just wonderful. I need to edit my initial post to include that. I KNEW I had left one out!

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 10:08:08 PM PST
DJ Deathwish says:
Ginger Snaps is probably my all time favorite which is funny considering that it's only a few years old.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 5:19:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2010 4:12:41 PM PST
M. Linoge says:
Is it just me or has this genre, in both movies and litterature, been ruined by idiots using it as an excuse for bad sex/violence movies? There are relatively few of them that aren't about humans, usually men, with no control of the basic impulses. The "magic" of the tale is overlooked, and the monster is no different from a disfigured serial killer. Exception to this are Blood & chocolate, The company of wolves, Wolfen.

While there a several I like, my favorites are: Bad moon, Ginger snaps, The company of wolves, Blood & chocolate, An american werewolf in Paris.
Although it isn't exactly a werwolf movie, I also like Blood moon.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 7:27:29 AM PST
I'm sick and tired of all these "lets say vampires are just guys infected with a virus, we can film it at my uncle's house" or "lets make our new vampires cute and cuddly, but sad.... sigh" or "our werewolf bounces up trees and walls and stuff," yippi ki yay!...

I want Gothic style monsters. Castles, bats, little scared villages, blood and gore. I want a period piece, not something filmed in an abandoned factory on the weekend. I like to see some effort. I want vampires driven by an evil blood lust, some unexplainable supernatural force that keeps them semi-alive, long after death. People have lost track that they're not just scary because they can kill you, they're scary because they're dead.
I want my werewolves monsters, with a tortured man during the day unable to control himself and having to live with the horror the next day... and having to live with what's ahead of him tonight. Don't explain things... my imagination is liquid, it changes as I get more information and it's what scares ME, it's what I think would be cool... not necessarily what scares you, you imagine your own cause/effect. Once they explain things it's always "Oh, is THAT all?" The new Wolfman was EXACTLY what I was hoping for. A big budget, serious adult rated wolfman movie, with no wise cracking sidekicks, snide remarking monsters, "I know it alls" or Indiana Jones dudes, and no goofy technobabel. Lots of steamy woods and graveyards, a big old house, sweaty rusty asylums, old stone monuments... and lots of blood, guts, body parts and torn meat. It follows "the rules."

Monsters... give'm to me. Rarr...

Though Ginger Snaps and The Company of Wolves (Blu-Ray please) were really cool.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 11:52:26 AM PST
C. Casey says:
Wolf's Blood

I have to agree. Vampires don't sparkle and I don't like the fact that the werewolves just burst out from human form.

Like the movies "An American Werewolf in London" and the "Howling" it is a painful process to have the body completely turn into something else and have no control over the primal nature that takes over. Although, I do have to say that "Ginger Snaps" was different, since Ginger's change was the course of a few days as opposed to one night of the full moon. "The Company of Wolves" has been one of my favorites since JR High.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2010 12:20:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2012 1:53:08 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 1:14:23 PM PST
If no one has mentioned RAVENOUS, it's a very different but nonetheless fun werewolf movie.

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 9:57:43 PM PST
J. Tuder says:
I agree completely about Ginger Snaps. See 'em all, they're awesome. I also liked The Brotherhood of the Wolf. Gothic, over-the-top, French. What more could you want? :-)

Posted on Feb 23, 2010 11:49:43 PM PST
lycan says:
Hi. I'm another shameless author who would like to get you to check out my book,Evil Moon. Please go to www.harisonraynovels.com or http://amazon.com. I also have a preview on you tube. Thank you for your interest.
Best Regards,
Harrison Ray

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 12:09:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2010 12:10:34 AM PST
lycan says:
Before I retired from acting, I had the great pleasure of taking acting classes from Elisabeth Brooks. She was the sexy female werewolf that seduces Dee Wallace Stone's husband in the Howling. Also, I had the honor of meeting David Naughton of An American werewolf in London. Both of them were very gracious, and Elisabeth, taken from us way to young, was a good friend.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 12:43:08 AM PST
lycan,
is it true that Elisabeth was originally set to reprise her role as Marsha Quist in "Howling II" but had to drop out?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2010 7:22:28 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
Let's not forget the late Angela Carter, who wrote "The Company of Wolves", from which the film was adapted.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 7:49:22 AM PST
D. Sippel says:
It has nothing to do with the film Ravenous, but for my money, werewolf fiction doesn't get any better than Ray Garton's "Ravenous". It's fast paced and offers a new spin on the werewolf mythos, with loads of sex and violence and a cast of interesting characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2010 11:39:00 AM PST
Darth Chap says:
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the significance of the full moon triggering a werewolf's transformation?

What would happen to a werewolf in space (I mean like an infected astronaut)? What if a werewolf were on a moon base? Would he/she be wolfy all the time, or would a "full earth" trigger the change?

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 12:12:05 PM PST
C. Casey says:
Wolf's Blood

LOL!! It would make an interesting book, wouldn't it? This is something I never understood myself, even though I do a lot of research in werewolf lore. One theory is since our bodies are made up of 70% water just as the earth is, and the moon has a significant pull over the tides, why not us? Most police and doctors will say that there is more violence on a full moon night as opposed to a new moon. My characters can shift at will, but they love to hunt as their furry selves during a full moon.

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 3:04:05 PM PST
Ravenova says:
This site has some interesting horror book related posts and recommended me to some unique fiction:

http://thebooknookblog.wordpress.com/
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
191 Jan 22, 2013
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 977 7 hours ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 1077 10 hours ago
What have you watched recently? 1148 1 day ago
Books like Rosemary's Baby 4 4 days ago
The Lounge 6500 7 days ago
OK., Stephen King is making me insecure... 13 12 days ago
Looking to a really GOOD Horror novel.. 11 14 days ago
the very best ghost novel? 85 18 days ago
Graham Masterton 1674 22 days ago
The classic horror cinema fan club 89 24 days ago
growing up with horror 811 29 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions