Customer Discussions > Horror forum

WHAT is the scariest book/story you ever read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-181 of 181 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 30, 2012 9:50:20 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
I finished Pop Art last night! It's excellent! I'm not sure what you mean by "in-jokes".

I kept waiting for some kind of explanation of... you know. But I finally just relaxed and went with it.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 1:06:14 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
There are at least two references to his father's works in the story (Cujo and The Shining). Since it was published before he was known to be Stephen King's son, you could say they're tongue-in-cheek clues to his parentage.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 4:30:16 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Oh!!!! I DO get it. Got the CUJO reference instantly. But THE SHINING reference... had to think about that one a minute... although it now seems obvious. Great anthogly. I'm on ABRAHAMS SONS. Not as much fun for me cuz I'm not really into vampires since I finished Rices's Vampires Chronicles (to much disappointment). But I'll plow throw this one and get to the next. Hope he proves me wrong, and ABRAHAMS SONS turns out to be just as good as the previous stories!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:26:23 AM PST
I think it is invisible darkness

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:16:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2013 9:19:10 AM PST
J. K. Grice says:
Five books come readily to mind........

Two were written by Dan Simmons; SUMMER OF NIGHT and SONG OF KALI. Also a fantastic occult thriller entitled TROPIC OF NIGHT by Michael Gruber. I would enthusiastically add ENTER, NIGHT by Michael Rowe, and of course, SALEM'S LOT by Stephen King.
I think that the primary quality of a truly scary novel is the story's ability to completely immerse the reader in the events of the tale and make the unbelievable seem somehow conceivable. I remember the first time I read SALEM'S LOT. It was October and I was out jogging on our local trail after work. As I ran, the book kept circulating through my mind. I found myself so conscious of the bite in the crisp air and the setting sun behind the ridges. All alone, the thoughts of running on this very same trail in the darkness lingered in my visions. Just because I didn't believe in vampires didn't mean I couldn't have the very real and chilling experience of what could occur if I happened to be in the actual time and place of Salem's Lot. I discovered that I had developed an urgency to finish my run and get home as quickly as possible!
That is the kind of thing that very good, very scary story telling does to a reader. It absolutley envelopes you and won't let go. You become a part of the book yourself......

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 9:35:11 AM PST
I think so too J.K. that is why I posed the question: or rather started the post. Which book 'got' to you. And we all have different triggers, of course. I shall check out your suggestions..and not read them alone. That is why Lovecraft is so good too, IMHO.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  181
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions