Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Vampire novels in the vein of 'Salem's Lot

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 12:17:41 PM PDT
Eric says:
Anyone know of any good vampire novels which have a very similar take on the lore as "'Salem's Lot" by King or "They Thirst" by McCammon. I really enjoyed those two and I'm looking for some which are similar in the author's take on the genre (e.g. many characters, vampirism as a plague, told from perspective of the 'survivors'). I've read some like Little's The Summoning and was very disappointed.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 4:49:37 PM PDT
Have you read The Passage: A Novel? It's sort of similar and it's told by the survivors. I thought it was just ok, but most people seem to love it. It's also rather epic in nature and pretty long.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:10:17 PM PDT
R. Stahnke says:
Del Toro's recent series of novels may fit what you're looking for. The first is called "The Strain". I read it but not the follow ups.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:20:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 4:20:36 PM PST
Eric says:
I'm aware of "The Passage" and have heard a lot about "The Strain" (which is on my shelf), but I am looking for some stories which are less like your typical "creature feature," and more traditional (e.g. Stoker, but on a larger scale). And, yes I'm aware of Twilight so please don't suggest it.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 5:32:01 PM PST
Marc Iverson says:
Surviving the Apocalypse, but with vampires, right?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:25:55 AM PST
There are very few Twilight fans here, Eric.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:31:16 AM PST
Eric says:
Not looking for apocalyptic novels; I've read The Stand and Swan Song so it's pretty unlikely anything could top those. Im looking for a city or small town scope. Historical fiction (late 1700s or 1800s America or Europe) would be great.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:50:10 AM PST
Perhaps George R R Martin's Fevre Dream, which I believe took place around the 1850's?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:07:57 AM PST
D. Sippel says:
I'll second "Fevre Dream", I quite liked that one and it has the historical fiction feel . Live Girls is another one which springs to mind when I think seminal modern vampire novels, as is The Light at the End, but they take on the era they were written, the 1980's. For an update on Stoker's traditional take, Jeffrey Sackett's Blood of the Impaler should fit the bill.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:35:16 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 5, 2012 10:35:57 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:37:49 PM PST
Eric says:
I posed the same question at a local bookstore and a couple of books (same author) were recommended to me, both of which are now in my possession: "Manitou Blood" and "The Descendent" by Graham Masterton. I've read some of his work ("Spirit" and "Ghost Music") neither of which is widely considered to be his magnum opus. I will also make a point to check out some of the others mentioned here. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:46:45 PM PST
Juzbyosef says:
Have you read FLEDGLING, by Octavia Butler? I read it years ago. It's one of my favorites.

Fledgling

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:30:58 AM PST
"The Strain" was explicitly designed to be a disease metaphor, and how vampirism works biologically definitely matches up. I second the recommendation.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:37:07 PM PST
VT Lady says:
I read my all time scariest book quite a number of years ago. The book was "Wolfen" by Whitley Strieber. These are NOT werewolves but wolves evolved from regular wolves. They are now intelligent, reasoning beings. It is told from the alpha wolf's point of view. After reading it, I could NOT go outside at night without a flashlight for months. Even my husband was uneasy after he read it. It still creeps me out to remember it today. It is certainly not a Pulitzer prize winner but it a great horror book that will keep you thinking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:59:22 PM PST
Eric says:
What about "The Hunger" by the same author, while we're on the topic of vampires?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:20:03 PM PST
VT Lady says:
I have not read "The Hunger." Is it good and should I read it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:47:42 PM PST
Marc Iverson says:
I enjoyed it. The angle that's worked is how her partner(s) feel when she lives forever as a healthy vampire in the prime of youth while each partner in turn becomes dessicated and eventually consigned to a box in the attic, still alive, for eternity.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:26:10 PM PST
VT Lady says:
Whoa, that sounds different. Whitley Strieber looks at life differently, doesn't he? I will give 'Hunger' a try. Thanks for the tip. If it is half as good as 'Wolfen,' it will be a fun read.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:50:15 PM PST
Deacon D. says:
Have you read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons? I HIGHLY recommend it...fantastic book!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:56:26 PM PST
Marc Iverson says:
I've heard it's really good, but I'm surprised it winds up on so few lists of favorites, even among vampire stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:05:43 PM PST
It is very good! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:21:05 PM PST
Eric says:
I've looked into or purchased many of the aforementioned books. I haven't looked into Simmons in a long time; I guess I'm still suffering from the DaVinci hangover and never bothered. Thanks for the great suggestions. Meanwhile I've been reading a lot of Richard Laymon. Just finished Stake, a pretty good story. Laymon also wrote another aptly called Bite. Reviews are mixed. Anyone read that? I believe those are the only two novels about vampires he's written.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:35:12 PM PST
Marc Iverson says:
Eric, it's a different Simmons we're talking about. The one who wrote the Da Vinci Code is named Dan Brown.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:53:47 PM PST
Although it's a short story rather than a book, the tale "My Dear Emily" is worth reading. You can find it in the horror anthology "The Dark Descent". It has a slightly different take on the vampire theme.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:57:36 PM PST
Eric says:
Marc, my mistake; wrong Dan. I do believe I have a copy of Summer of Night sitting on my shelf. Other than that I have not even explored Simmons at all. I don't know why
Brown came to mind...

Velma, who wrote that short story? Laymon?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
191 Jan 22, 2013
Books like Rosemary's Baby 49 5 hours ago
Creepy/Horror tv shows (& films) 36 5 hours ago
What have you watched recently? 1200 7 hours ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 1216 14 hours ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1068 19 hours ago
A Different Tale In The Werewolf Genre 7 1 day ago
The Stand Vs Swan Song? 36 5 days ago
The Lounge 6506 5 days ago
growing up with horror 839 5 days ago
Looking to a really GOOD Horror novel.. 13 12 days ago
R.I.P. Marilyn Burns 1 13 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions