Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Scariest short story in the world?!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 165 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 6:44:45 AM PST
Lisa Smith says:
Is "The Rats in the Walls" by Lovecraft the same story that was the basis for the Masters of Horror episode "Dreams in the Witch House"? I know that was based on an H. P. Lovecraft story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 9:04:12 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
"Dreams in the Witch House" was another story by Lovecraft.

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 1:50:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2010 1:52:13 PM PST
Lovecraft was at heart an 18th century gentleman who might create titanic forces of evil, but basically kept them at bay. King is an industry who writes about terrible things, then shows up in the front row at Red Sox games. But Thomas Ligotti, and his canon, scare the pants off of me. He's this shadowy figure who may for all we know be living in a cabin somewhere feasting on human flesh this very minute. His works are utterly devoid of any sense of retribution for the monstrous things he creates, and the monsters always win. I got his "Nightmare Factory" several years ago and read the first story "The Frolic". I had to put the book down for months after that. No other author of the genre has ever affected me as Ligotti has.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 3:29:22 PM PST
MattT says:
Great story, I have it in the short story collection: Fantasy Annual III

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 6:26:54 AM PST
L. B. Kroger says:
"The New Daughter" in Nocturnes. The entire collection was good, but that story stuck with me. Definitely creepy. The last image of the story will haunt you for a while.

Also, for good reading online, try http://www.microhorror.com/microhorror/. Good flash fiction for quick bites of horror.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 8:10:54 AM PST
Thanks for that link - just been looking at it and love it already!

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 12:49:56 PM PST
LAURA28 says:
There is a scary book of short stories called, Ghosts, Ghouls and other Horrors, that is a scary book!

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 3:15:06 PM PST
Guido Henkel says:
Robert E. Howard's "Pigeons From Hell" is probably the scariest short story I've ever read.

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 10:46:46 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Pigeons From Hell:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080513211605/http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arthurs/howard/pighell10.html

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 4:04:40 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
Joe R. Lansdale's "The Night They Missed the Horror Show", which appeared in Cutting Edge, will appear in two upcoming Cemetery Dance anthologies, The Horror Hall of Fame: The Stoker Winners and The Century's Best Horror Fiction: Volume 2, and is certain to have been anthologized in a multitude of other books. Nothing supernatural, but still horrifying and scary.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 7:18:42 AM PST
Harry by Rosemary Timperley

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 4:04:43 PM PST
"King is an industry who writes about terrible things, then shows up in the front row at Red Sox games." What's wrong with that? What do you expect him to do?

King's first two story collections offer great horror stories including Strawberry Spring, the Mist, Raft and Children of the Corn. There is also a magnificient story in Nightmares and Dreamscapes, his third collection, but unfortunately I cannot remember its name. It is a pastiche to Lovecraft in which a couple is lost in a district and found themselves in an alternate world. It is otherworldy.

Clive Barker's Books of Blood also contain great stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 4:12:37 PM PST
Nick Jones says:
"It is a pastiche to Lovecraft in which a couple is lost in a district and found themselves in an alternate world. It is otherworldly."

Crouch End?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 4:16:39 PM PST
Thank you very much, Nick:) That is the one I was talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2010 6:27:29 AM PST
MattT says:
""King is an industry who writes about terrible things, then shows up in the front row at Red Sox games." What's wrong with that? What do you expect him to do?"

I guess he expects King to hang out in cemeteries and morgues. Damn that King for living a normal life and having normal hobbies.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 12:56:55 PM PST
Rob says:
The Priest's Tale: The Man who Cried God in Hyperion is the scariest to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2010 1:33:04 PM PST
August Derleth's "The Lonesome Place".

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 9:30:21 PM PST
Arizona Dave says:
The Horror by Renehan and Clarke had a very scarys tory in it named safe, secure, peace of mind. They payed tribute to Lovecrat's Rats in the walls in one of the later stories.

The Horror

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 8:31:22 AM PST
Nick Jones says:
'Wish' by Al Sarrantonio in his collection Toybox.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 7:54:14 PM PST
Ramsey Campbell's 'Peep' is one of the creepiest, unsettling short stories I've read in a long while.

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:24:44 AM PST
Wow, this thread resurrected from 2010!

Posted on Mar 3, 2012 6:27:49 AM PST
I haven't read any horror that's really terrifying. I'm not sure that's my kind of horror, either. I like dark, creepy, suspenseful horror, not so much the terrifying kind. But that's just me.

And looking at all this deleted self-promotion is amusing... I had no idea it was this bad! Now I feel like a well-behaved little author. :) LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 2:03:19 PM PST
John, it was so bad here it was like a graveyard. It's been exciting to see people posting here a lot, again.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 4:20:56 PM PST
Mitz says:
'It's a Good Life' by Jerome Bixby. Horrifying tale of a community held hostage by an omnipotent two-year-old. MR James's 'Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad'. Lovecraft's 'The Dunwich Horror'. I'm not really a Lovecraft fan, but this one is brilliant. When I was a kid, 'Mansize in Marble' used to worry me a lot.

Images of a living scarecrow/corpse in a spare bed at an inn, of a ghost-child appearing in a snowstorm to lure out a living one, of 'no living man so tall', haunt me from other stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 5:12:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2012 5:13:44 PM PST
Cathytg says:
The Lovecraft pastiche in Nightmares and Dreamscapes is called Crouch End.

And whoops, someone already said that.

For scariest story, I nominate Mackintosh Willy, by Ramsey Campbell. That story gave me the wiggins!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  165
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions