Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Horror Hall of Fame

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 11:00:51 AM PDT
Yes, he did wrote a lot of horror. I dont know for how long he's been writing though....

Posted on May 2, 2012 11:21:47 AM PDT
Derdnik says:
Ive enjoyed a few Robert R McCammon Books but Im not sure he would qualify in the Hall of fame.

Posted on May 2, 2012 11:26:26 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Here's a selected bibliography for McCammon:

Baal (1978)
Bethany's Sin (1980)
The Night Boat (1980)
They Thirst (1981)
Mystery Walk (1983)
Usher's Passing (1984)
Swan Song (1987) - Co-winner of the 1987 Bram Stoker Award [5] and nominated for the 1988 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel[6]
this was his first novel to appear on the New York Times Bestseller List
Stinger (1988) - Nominated for the 1988 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel; New York Times Bestseller
The Wolf's Hour (1989) - Nominated for the 1989 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel; New York Times Bestseller
Blue World (1990) - Short Story Collection; Nominated for the 1989 Bram Stoker Award and the 1990 World Fantasy Award for Best Collection[6]
Mine (1990) - Winner of the 1990 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel [5]
Boy's Life (1991) - Winner of the 1991 Bram Stoker Award and the 1992 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel [5]
Gone South (1992) - Later published in an omnibus edition with Boy's Life.
The Five (May 2011)

Looks pretty solid to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 11:32:55 AM PDT
recluse says:
I'll second McCammon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 11:33:34 AM PDT
MattT says:
I'll third him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 11:35:00 AM PDT
recluse says:
Pass the fifth and I'll fourth him......

Posted on May 2, 2012 11:50:37 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Cool - so far today, McCammon is in, Margaret Hamilton out, with John Barrymore and Rob Zombie on the bubble and two more spots wide open.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:17:54 PM PDT
How About the "crypt keeper" from "Tales From The Crypt" ? He's been morbidly funny for over 20 years now. The only problem is that the original run started in 1989....

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:20:51 PM PDT
Also, Moustapha Akkad would make a great nominee. The first halloween was made in 1978. I know he's dead but i think he deserves a place there.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:32:00 PM PDT
Lamberto Bava (son of mario) is one of my personal favourite and part of the italian "splat pack" or horror along with Fulci and (who'a already in the list) and Soavi. I believe Lamberto should be in there as well.....

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:42:49 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
I'm unfamiliar with Akkad, but see he worked as producer on the Halloween films.

I am a fan of Demons, so Lamberto Bava is right on that bubble for me, along with Michele Soavi, who directed one of my all-time favorites Cemetery Man.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 3:10:16 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
Her coffee commercials were pretty frightening! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 3:10:58 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
I think I saw that, too, but I wasn't sure so I left that out.

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:25:41 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
J. Sheridan Le Fanu: Carmilla, a classic story. I read it when I was a kid, waaaaay before lesbianism appeared on my radar, but even then I knew there was something "off" about the situation, besides the vampirism. Template for at least one Hammer 'lesbian vampire' film.

Posted on May 2, 2012 5:48:31 PM PDT
McCammon seems worthy if there's room.

re: The Cryptkeeper

If we start with fictional characters then we'll have to have a new thread for that specifically (since this current list here is for showbiz icons, fiction writers, actors, directors)... so that way on a new thread we can include Freddy Kruger, Hannibal Lecter, Leatherface, The Cenobites, and so on. "The Greatest Horror Characters Ever"-- I can see some nominations already: Loomis from Halloween, Margaret White from Carrie, Ash from The Evil Dead, Alma/Eva from Ghost Story, Annie Wilkes from Misery.....

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:24:14 PM PDT
MattT says:
I like the idea of a fictional character hall of fame.

Posted on May 2, 2012 7:13:22 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Fictional characters need to be separate. Something completely different that would require thought on a different level. I like the idea.

Nick - I have Carmilla on my Kindle downloaded free from the public domain, but haven't read it yet. On a side note, public domain is a boon to all serious horror fans. Besides the free Kindle downloads there are the Classic Horror 50 DVD packs that go for less the $10. I think on various public domain collections, I have 3 copies of Night of the Living Dead and 2 each of Carnival of Souls, Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera and several others.

Posted on May 2, 2012 7:25:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 9:16:07 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Seems the nominations have slowed, so let's see if the nomination process can conclude and we can move on to the next level. Right now we are at 96, same as yesterday, with Robert McCammon added and Margaret Hamilton delisted. Pretty sure that leaves 4 remaining spots with the top 4 bubble riders being: John Barrymore, Rob Zombie, Lamberto Bava, and Michele Soavi. I am fine with all four, but welcome any suggestions.

Posted on May 2, 2012 9:26:41 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
Should we divide these into categories, since we have actors, directors and writers? One I've thought of is the Georges Melies/"Le Manoir Du Diable" Award, for pioneers in the field of horror film. "Le Manoir Du Diable" (The Devil's Castle) is a 1896 film, of which a fragment still survives, that is considered, arguably, by many as the first 'horror' film. Pioneers could include Edison, for his Frankenstein, F.W. Murnau, Chaney, Whale, Karloff, Lugosi, Romero, and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:04:11 AM PDT
Yes, Cemetery Man is a real classic ! Also really enjoyed "Stage Fright" by Soavi.

Yeah, i agree maybe we should keep the fictional characters aside and make a different list for them..

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:31:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 3, 2012 7:43:29 AM PDT]

Posted on May 3, 2012 6:36:59 AM PDT
How About jesus "Jess" franco the spanish director. He started in 1959 and directed about 100 movies so far.. Lots of them are exploitations and cheesy zombie and vampire films but its all there..( A virgin among the living dead, dracula, the sinister Dr Orloff, killer barbies, Sexorcist, oasis of the zombies, incubus...)

I bought a few of those for myself and had a good time watching them. Go check him out and see if he's qualify...

Posted on May 3, 2012 6:43:52 AM PDT
MattT says:
Brian De Palma?

Sisters, Carrie, The Fury, Dressed To Kill, Phantom Of The Paradise

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:27:47 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Nick - I like the idea of contributors to the horror genre getting together in one big Hall of Fame, a place where literature meets film meets TV meets comics meets all things horror under one figurative roof.

Doum666 - Jess Franco is someone I am unfamiliar with, but reading up on his active career makes me want to rush out and start collecting his films. Fortunately I am a cheapskate so that won't happen, thereby sparing me $$$ and hours of time watching dozens of films of possibly questionable quality. On some level I appreciate quantity over quality at times. I will root for the guy that made 100 mostly mediocre films as opposed to he or she who created only one masterpiece.

MattT - I have seen many of De Palma's films and like most of them. I just thought he comes up short when it comes to horror.

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:38:02 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
On the bubble right now to claim the four remaining spots on the ballot are: Lamberto Bava, Michele Soavi, Rob Zombie, John Barrymore, Jesus "Jess" Franco, and Brian De Palma. If anyone besides whoever mentioned them to begin with wants to second one or more of these notable contributors to the genre of horror then I'll add them to the master ballot.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
192 Aug 31, 2014
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 2131 5 hours ago
What have you watched recently? 1509 3 days ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1456 4 days ago
The Lounge 6696 4 days ago
Graham Masterton 1677 7 days ago
growing up with horror 1117 8 days ago
Halloween 12 9 days ago
Will we ever see the original WILLARD on Blu-ray? 29 10 days ago
Small town horror books? 66 12 days ago
Tracing a book 2 Dec 31, 2014
A free book for Fans of the Last of Us! (Survival Horror) 0 Dec 19, 2014

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  1150
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions