Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

Backwoods Horror Book.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2012 2:17:46 PM PDT
Can anyone suggest a horror book that is set in the backwoods. I know there are a bunch of horror movies out there like this, but is there any good books?

I would love a fun book with inbred Hillbillies :)

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 5:42:29 PM PDT
It's not exactly fun, but it's definitely got inbred hillbillies-KIN.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 6:08:06 PM PDT
Alina says:
I second Charlene's recommendation of KIN. It's an excellent read but only for those with strong stomachs.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 6:29:32 PM PDT
Thanks, I have not heard of this book, I will check it out. If anyone has any more suggestions please share them. Dont worry gore does not bother me.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 5:38:17 AM PDT
D. Griffith says:
OK, it doesn't all take place in the backwoods but Headers 2 by Edward Lee has the most f'ed up inbred clan in history throwing down with another bunch of sick freaks. It is hardcore sick.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 6:53:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2012 6:56:35 AM PDT
Wow, I just found out that not only did my publisher(Necro) release the original Header, but also did the artwork and Kindle version for the sequel. We learn something every day! LOL

Anything by Lee is recommended.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 7:50:11 AM PDT
Awesome, I was looking for a kindle book, I will pick up header. I also just bought Kin. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 8:19:23 AM PDT
Hope you enjoy them!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 10:28:59 PM PDT
I recommend Depraved by Bryan Smith and Urban Gothic by Brian Keene, although the latter is about cannibals in a mansion in the city. Also, Castaways by Brian Keene is a good one, but in that one our cannibals and their prey are on an island. Trapped by Jack Kilborn is another awesome read in this category. I loved that book.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 1:35:14 PM PDT
Donna says:
Offseason and Offspring by Jack Ketchum. Also, Backwoods by Edward Lee.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 9:05:04 PM PDT
Thanks for all the responses I have picked up all of these books. I will soon be sick of hillbillies. If anyone knows any other good horror stories let me know. I have really just read Stephen King. I really have not gotten into too many other horror novels. Please no Vampire stuff though :)

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:52:58 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Ed Lee likes this topic. "Creekers" is my favorite by him. Richard Laymon should be mentioned here as well. "The Woods Are Dark" would fall in this category.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 11:40:51 PM PDT
I'm reading a book called The Trail by Brian Francis. It's about campers that go for a weekend getaway in the Appalachian Mountains and become prey for members of an inbred cult. I actually have a whole stack of books in my "To Be Read" stack that fit the description for this thread. I'll try to update the thread with some of those titles later.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 7:22:55 AM PDT
Donna says:
I would love to know more books in this description. So please please post them Jeffrey. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 8:00:40 AM PDT
HorrorShow says:
BLACK DOG: THE LONG DARK ROAD.
Black Dog: The Long Dark Road

Good stuff. Connected short stories about a black bluesman/hobo traveling Dust Bowl America, following a black dog only he can see that leads him into supernatural danger.
There's even a story about hillbilly cannibals.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 10:05:36 PM PDT
Ok, here's my list of recently purchased books of crazy killers in the woods. Like I said there are some here I haven't read:
The Trail by Brian Francis (finished this one, definitely recommend it)
Lumberjacked by Rich Bottles, Jr. (just started this one)
Terror in Shadows: Someone is Watching Me by Lecy Pritchett (haven't read yet)
Detour by Jean Rusin (haven't read yet)
The Hollow by Anthony Izzo (haven't read yet)

Books I've read in this category and enjoyed include:
Castaways by Brian Keene
Urban Gothic by Brian Keene
Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum
Off Season by Jack Ketchum
Offspring by Jack Ketchum
The Woman by Jack Ketchum
Trapped by J.A. Konrath/Jack Kilborn
Depraved by Bryan Smith

Posted on May 20, 2012 9:08:43 PM PDT
Steven Kaye says:
It's a short story, but you might like Sean Demory's "The Ballad of the Wayfaring Stranger and the Dead Man's Whore" for backwoods horror not involving inbred hillbillies. For classic horror, definitely check out Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John stories - a friend recently picked up up Paizo's Who Fears the Devil trade paperback.

Posted on May 21, 2012 12:11:23 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Have you read Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME? It takes place in the backwoods.

Gerald's Game (Signet)

Not TOO gory, but very suspenseful.

Posted on May 21, 2012 12:29:25 PM PDT
I can recommend OUTER DARK and CHILD OF GOD by Cormac McCarthy, the same guy who wrote THE ROAD.

Cormac McCarthy, like William Faulkner before him, is viewed as a Literary Writer, but much of his subject matter is firmly rooted in horror.
In OUTER DARK, a young hillbilly abandons his infant son--the product of incest--in the woods, only to be sent back out to search for the baby by his sister. Outer Dark

CHILD OF GOD involves an inbred hillbilly pedophile who becomes a serial rapist/murderer and contains scenes of cannibalism and necrophilia. Child of God

Like all of McCarthy's novels, the narrative can be a bit tough to get into (he doesn't use quotation marks) but is extremely rewarding for those willing to invest the time.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 7:03:17 PM PDT
To update this thread, since my last post I've read several of the books in my "to be read pile" that fit this category. Lumberjacked by Rich Bottles Jr. was okay, but it was more of a comedy horror. Not really what I was expecting. The hollow by Anthony Izzo was excellent and I enjoyed all of the twists in turns in the book, not wanting to put it down. Detour by Jean Rusin was so horrible I don't know how it got published. I got through 3 or 4 pages, deemed the book a total waste and threw in the trash, as I'd feel guilty even reselling something so poor.
Anyway, for those looking for a good book in this category, Anthony Izzo's The Hollow is a great read.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 11:57:06 PM PDT
Gene Bivins says:
One of the grand-daddies of all: The Dunwich Horror, H.P. Lovecraft.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 7:02:12 AM PST
J. K. Grice says:
Don't miss GONE SOUTH by Robert McCammon and three books by Joe Lansdale, THE BOTTOMS, A FINE DARK LINE, and EDGE OF DARK WATER. There are also some great southern writers who sometimes include evil characters. Check out William Gay's TWILIGHT. This book was published before the infamous Twilight series, so I'm sure if William Gay was still alive, he would have wanted to choose another title. Another fantastic southern read with bad people is THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME by Donald Ray Pollock.
Happy reading!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 7:44:40 AM PST
Oh I loved "Gerald's Game"! "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" also applies in this category.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 1:04:14 PM PST
Speaking of backwoods and Jack Kilborn, another of his books with an even more backwoods hicks setting, is Endurance. Awesome book!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 1:18:24 PM PST
If you want true horror, then I suggest these following authors;
Jack Kilborn, Richard Layman, Jack Ketchum as far as the leaders. In my opinion. Other suggestions for scary books by non horror authors would ghosts by Noel Hynd, A Ghost Story by Staubach (I think) and Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son)
I recently read Kin which is fantastic. Oh, crap. I almost forgot one of my all time favs Dougless Clegg, amazing author, very scary.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions