Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

The Lounge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5201-5225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:13:09 PM PDT
Right: "Jaws" is a thriller, not based on real animal behavior.

What makes it a fun horror flick is that it exaggerates reality deeply, that this one shark seems like a godawful, monstrous eating machine.
We see one report on the news about a shark attack, or a death in Australia, that's one thing... a horror writer or director takes that grain and snowballs it into something delightfully scary.

They say in 1975 people didn't go to the beach so much after seeing Spielberg's movie. Not surprising.

Few movies affect the public like that. "Psycho" created that phenomenon in 1960, with showers, supposedly. Maybe people took more baths after that? Haha.
Similar thing in the 1930's when Clark Gable wore an A-shirt and tee shirt sales fell. Or something like that. I read about it years ago but can't recall if it was about "It Happened One Night" from 1934.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:16:10 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
I think people stopped going to motels. Or avoided taxidermists.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:29:02 PM PDT
recluse says:
I liked Bloch's vision of Norman as this big, heavy guy jammed into his mother's clothes and believing he really was a little old lady more than Hitchcock's version.

I'm surprised Hitchcock was open to anything that didn't originate in his own head.

I love those commentaries.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:33:17 PM PDT
recluse says:
Sharks ARE godawful eating machines.
They don't sleep.
They never stop moving.
Imagine the energy requirement for a life in constant motion.
The key is the size of the shark.
There was an incident in New Jersey back in the late 1800s/early 1900s of a bull shark on a killing rampage.
It actually entered fresh water and continued inland a ways.
That's scary!

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:40:03 PM PDT
Dingfelder says:
Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho, by Stephen Rebello, is a really fun book that gets deeply into its subject from all kinds of angles. I've read a fair amount about Hitchcock over the years, won a Hitchcock trivia contest once, and even took a class on him, and this book was full of stuff that was completely new to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:43:36 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
I'm afraid of Landsharks because they are very manipulative and can get you to open your door.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:09:30 AM PDT
J. Case says:
Did they ever find the Sharks that were responsible for the attacks?
What do you mean by godawful eating machines?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:10:21 AM PDT
J. Case says:
Is that meant to be sarcastic?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 5:36:54 AM PDT
If you click the top right of the post, that was in response to something Froggy said, not you. Unless you also want to see Will Smith naked?
That last sentence? That was sarcastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 5:42:48 AM PDT
LFrog1386 says:
LMAO

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 9:15:34 AM PDT
recluse says:
Not beyond sightings of it, no.
And it was only one shark.

They are apex predators. That is pretty much the definition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 10:52:30 AM PDT
(knock knock knock) "Candygram."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 12:19:24 PM PDT
recluse says:
When was the last candygram actually delivered?

When Bugs Bunny cartoons were new?

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:39:16 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
I'm also afraid of shart attacks. They have been documented. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzEre2dqE4

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:42:18 PM PDT
recluse says:
I'm scared of packs of rabid chipmunks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 9:22:45 PM PDT
J. Case says:
No I don't want to see Will Smith naked.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 9:27:57 PM PDT
J. Case says:
I'm going to see Snow White and the Huntsman on Sunday.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 5:37:18 AM PDT
LFrog1386 says:
OK recluse won't do it so I will for him. He's a writer, people! But he's not selling anything and just enters contests for fun, so I think we would all agree this is not spam. Especially since I am posting it, not him. Jon, don't hit me, but your stuff is great and I think everyone here will find something to like.
http://mistressofthedarkpath.wordpress.com/reclusive-thinking/

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 10:57:45 AM PDT
re "Snow White and the Huntsman"

Charlize Theron looks like she's having tons of fun as the wicked queen. I will rent this when it's available. (And that burly, gruff, earthy, chiseled Huntsman can track me down any time he likes, haha...)

It will be interesting to compare Charlize to Sigourney Weaver's take on the queen/crone in "Snow White: A Tale of Terror". Now that was awesome makeup for the witch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 11:00:04 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
Charlize Theron is like a hot Cameron Diaz . . . and I think Cameron Diaz is hot!

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 11:06:29 AM PDT
recluse says:
Charlize is one Heck of an actress.

Anyone catch her in "Monster"?

Any actress willing to appear on screen looking like that is a major player in my book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 11:10:51 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I saw "Monster". She was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 11:11:20 AM PDT
I think she won the Oscar for "Monster". I never saw that; heard so much about how bleak it is. But I should finally watch it.

She was fun in "Arrested Development" as the British gal who we learn was actually a dimwit ... and not a teacher of special kids, lol!!!

I miss that show. Gotta wait a couple more years for the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 11:13:13 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
"Arrested Development" was excellent, but it's funny you mention that plot with Charlize Theron. It's the one plot where I thought it was sad rather than funny, and I thought it picked on unfair targets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 11:18:06 AM PDT
LFrog1386 says:
Baron-she did win for Monster and it was well-deserved. You seriously do not know it's her. She was amazing. Definitely a horror story in itself, too!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  7896
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2012
Latest post:  2 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions