Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

What have you watched recently? Did you like it? Why?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9351-9375 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 1:42:17 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
No joke. "The Ring" scared the hell out of me. I was creeped out walking in the dark for a while. And the chills that I got at certain part of that movie . . . I mean literally. Very few movies do that to me.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 1:55:06 PM PDT
Started watching the Alien films again in anticipation of Prometheus. The first Alien movie proved less is more. Still scares the hell out of me. Same with the first Halloween movie. Combine those 2 movies and think of the amount of blood you really see. That's what alot of horror films today get wrong, less is more. Blood and guts do not equal scares.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:09:04 PM PDT
---spoiler warning---

Even though I was mildly disappointed with the ending of "The Ring" (anticlimactic, imho, but that's being really picky), I thought it had some stellar moments:

the revelation of the girl's face in the closet
Samara crawling out of the TV at the guy's studio
the distorted photos of the victims
suicide via the bathtub
the fly on the monitor

etc etc

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:10:46 PM PDT
wild duck bill,

Excellent point there about genuine quality horror. "Alien" is so potent and such successful suspense and terror, simply because it keeps things mysterious, and it builds tension powerfully and slowly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 2:15:16 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
The first thing you named is what gives me freaking chills.

And the second thing you named made me practically jump.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 7:11:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2012 9:47:44 AM PDT
Thanx for the list ! Im desperately in need of good/recent horror. On this list you made i've only seen Session9 - House of the devil - Rec - Trick r Treat and The Orphanage. HOUSE OF THE DEVIL and TRICK R TREAT are my favourites here. I have a lot of catching up to do....

Also saw a couple of good ones on the AFTERDARK HORROR FEST - 8 FILMS TO DIE FOR series....check those out.....

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 1:23:04 PM PDT
Lauren James says:
Just got back from seeing The Cabin in the Woods. Absolutely loved it. It's a meta horror movie that's still scary, and I think it will provide a permanent voice in my head anytime I watch a traditional slasher from now on, and not in the Scream-style "Don't go into the basement, what are you, a moron?" sort of way, but in the "offering a grand overarching theory of slasher movies" way. It's very difficult to talk about because I don't want to spoil anything, but I love it for the same reasons I loved Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, and I think it works on essentially the same principles.

My advice would be to go see it without knowing anything more than you already do, and just wait to see what happens. It's definitely a horror fan's horror movie, so I don't know how much mainstream culture would really seize on it, but for people, you know, frequenting a horror movie discussion thread, I think it will really, really work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 3:56:15 PM PDT
@Lauren James
The Cabin in the Woods was great. Going in with no expectations and don't let anyone spoil it before you go.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 7:59:48 PM PDT
I thought Insidious was Great. I know tastes vary, but I like my horror supernatural and it delivered. I find it to reside somewhere between Poltergeist and Paranormal Activity with the best elements of both. It had a nice blend of dread and jump scares to make for a great film. I don't think it is hurt by having a big budget. For me, it's the best horror I've seen in a very long time and I generally don't talk much about it because of the lukewarm response. Dare I say 10/10?..I think I will.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:41:53 AM PDT
Becky.horror says:
MattT has covered alot of them;
heres my lot or what i can remember;

EVIDENCE horromentry
YELLOW BRICK ROAD
A SERBIAN FILM (certainly not for every1)
REC 2 spanish prefer it to the 1st.
DEAD END (scares the poo out of me)
BLAIR WITCH
ATROCIOUS spanish
KILL LIST uk
THE PRESENCE
WRONG TURN 2,3,4
DEVILS ROCK
DREAD
Clive Barkers BOOK OF BLOOD
BLOOD RIVER
SPLICE
LEFT BANK dutch
CASE 39
APOLLO 18
PREDATORS
SEVENTH MOON
HOME MOVIE horrormentry
EVIL THINGS horromentry
KILLING ROOM
THAW
R POINT asia
VINYAN
FARMHOUSE excellent
EVIL RISING
THIRST asia -great
FOURTH KIND
TRIANGLE
FROZEN
BROKEN (not the Adam Masons film)
SILENT SCREAM
NIGHT LISTENER
END OF THE LINE canadian excellent
JU ON and its sequels
SYMPATHY
AFTER.LIFE
LAST EXORCISM
ROOM 205
WHISPER - freaky little boy film, def 1 of the best killer kids film.
THE REEF aussie - another must see
BLACK SWAN
WAKEWOOD uk
HIDDEN norwegion
WE ARE WHAT WE ARE mexican
5150 ELMS WAY canadian v good
GRAVE ENCOUNTERS horromentry
STAKELAND
PETER non horror but excellent
TROLL HUNTER norway

Some are good, some of them are alright, some mediocre but i think most i liked. Havent put down many extreme horrors as saw you werent a fan (Clay)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 11:44:42 AM PDT
Becky.horror says:
yeh still on supernatural - its amazing just how many times Sam and Dean stare into the camera looking all serious lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 1:49:43 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
While I thought it had some minor questionable decisions made by the film makers towards the end, I too greatly enjoyed Insidious. Along with this year's The Woman in Black, another very good to excellent film, maybe higher profile, bigger budget horror is on the upswing.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 1:59:20 PM PDT
I liked Insidious very much, up until the end. The scares were creepy and subtle, along with some jump scares, but it left a lot to the imagination. The end was a bit too over-the-top compared to the rest of the movie for my taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:25:28 PM PDT
--spoilers----

"Insidious" was enjoyable. Not sensational, but a solid effort. I mean, how often does a horror movie come along that's not a remake, sequel/prequel, or flagrant copycat of something else?

My favorite part without a question was when the woman was walking around the house with the laundry basket, and the little phantom boy changed the music on the stereo and danced to the Tiny Tim song 'TipToe Through the Tulips'. Just chilling.

If you re-watch that sequence, the little boy can be seen momentarily with his face to the wall before she starts the record player, as she's walking around. One of those 're-watch' moments that are freaky.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:01:20 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Baron, thanks for the notes on WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN. I still don't really understand why the townsfolk hated the mom so much. I usually feel mostly just sorry for the families and loved ones of violent criminals. But I guess that's just me.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 6:14:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2012 6:15:50 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Absentia, 7/10

It's slow getting started. A quarter of the way through, I was enjoying it so much I paused it so that I could text my friend to watch it. But in the end, I was disappointed. It probably makes a better novel than movie. The plot is good, but there aren't enough real scares. It has a similar premise to Wes Craven Presents: They, which is one of my favorites, but it doesn't deliver the chills and thrills. It tries to be a Wendigo kind of film, but it's not quite that artsy. It's worth watching, but not buying. Wait til it's streaming on Netflix, or Amazon Prime, or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 6:36:47 AM PDT
Juz,

re: Baron, thanks for the notes on WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN.

Wasn't me. Haven't seen that movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 7:12:18 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
re: "Wasn't me. Haven't seen that movie." from Baron.

Oops! That was Charlene.

Thanks Charlene!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 6:19:53 PM PDT
Gorgar says:
Has anyone else seen "Stuck"? I thought that was a strangely-entertaining film.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 6:23:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 6:23:47 PM PDT
Gorgar says:
KinksRock...I don't think anything else on Earth that says "Evil" more than a huge Black Widow, particularly if you don't see her at first! I nearly put my foot right through a web with an enormous one that snuck in through the kitchen door during the night and had constructed a web right in front of the door. I smacked her so hard with a flyswatter, that she completely disintegrated and at first I thought I had MISSED (until I saw a couple long, black legs stuck to the flyswatter).
We have tons of Black Widows down my way, and they pop up in the unlikeliest of places.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:03:17 PM PDT
Gorgar,

I saw Stuck a while ago, and here's the kicker--this really happened:

"'Stuck' is based on a true story, too, which makes it even more riveting to see these events unfold on screen. It's inspired by a fatal 2001 car crash in Fort Worth, Texas, that earned the driver, Chante Mallard, a 50-year prison sentence. But this is no prime-time TV re-enactment, full of glossy lighting and stylish edits; Gordon and co-writer John Strysik strip the accident down to expose the ugliest elements of human behaviour.

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20080609/stuck_movie_review_080609/#ixzz1sXubkqRD

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 4:36:30 AM PDT
spoiler warning
re: Stuck

This really takes me back to 2001. After 9/11 happened, I tend to forget that other news happened that year.

I have not seen "Stuck", but I vividly remember the astounding headline when this broke on the news (I thought, how could someone be so horrible/stupid/wretched??), and then later I saw the movie trailer based on this nasty crime. It sounded so crazy but the wild part was, it really happened. Someone did this awful thing. Good thing she's in prison. I hope she got a cellmate that snores really loud.

This whole thing makes a perfect argument against driving while drunk. Big time.

I read the review that was linked above; the following last two sentences quoted really gave me paws (I mean, pause), and make this movie sound TOO darkly humored, even cheesy. I quote:

But there's also plenty of dark humour to break up the bleakness, including one scene with an unusually hungry Pomeranian. That's when "Stuck" turns into "Snack."

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 9:14:50 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Strigoi: The Undead

Started watching this last nite streaming on Netflix. So far, so good! Of course, I fell asleep just before the ending. Not cuz the movie was boring... falling asleep while enjoying a movie is my new "thing" since I hit 50.

Set in a small, post-communist Romanian village, it's about a vampire/undead curse that comes into play because of some disputed land deals. The acting is good. The scary stuff is not that scary, but kind of gory. Some scenes are decidedly creepy. It's a darkly funny flick. I recommend it. Looking forward to seeing the end of it tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 9:19:30 AM PDT
marky77 says:
Loved Shaun of the Dead but hated Slither. To the point where I took the DVD back and asked for a refund.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 9:21:16 AM PDT
marky77 says:
I thought that the had a thing for each other? Wincest or whatever...
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  405
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions