Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Horror forum

What have you watched recently? Did you like it? Why?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9576-9600 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 10, 2012 12:48:53 PM PDT
Reviewer says:
Did anybody see that "Cabin in the Woods" horror film from Joss Weedon?

Posted on May 10, 2012 12:50:59 PM PDT
Reviewer says:
Did anybody see Joss Weedon's "Cabin in the Woods"? I guess I should go see that. I wrote a screenplay about some college kids at an isolated ranch, murders, etc. I need to put some new twists on the cliches.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 1:10:40 PM PDT
Becky.horror says:
hi every1, just thought id chime in and make sure your all ok.

Nothing exciting has occurred on the horror scene, (sorry not into CABIN IN THE WOODS but i know once you know about the film there is no point seeing it, apparently the actual plot gives the film away?), im not a fan of post modern horror ie SCREAM etc, or comic horror other than the obvious 'greats' like EVIL DEAD.
Just bought ABSENTIA so that will be an interesting watch when it finally arrives - US import- takes awhile to get here.
still think EVIDENCE is best horror ive seen for a long time.

Anyway hope your all happy in your horror filled lives - sadly enough im still on my Supernatural boxsets - its actually quite theraputic (in a pathetic way) ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 4:59:15 PM PDT
marky77 says:
I was VER-RY disappointed with Red State. Nothing at all like I hoped/expected.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 5:42:18 PM PDT
marky77 says:
Started Supernatural myself fairy recently. Seen all of 5 episodes haha.

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:58:42 PM PDT
pwd says:
I finally watched Christopher Nolan's FOLLWING last week and loved it. It's taken me forever to get around to watching it not because I was dragging my feet or
didn't think it would be up to the standards of his later films, that's just how things go. But boy was I surprised anyway! I was engaged all through out the movie.
The script, dialogue, direction, cinematography, minimalist music was all top-notch. FOLLOWING showed that Nolan, even on his first film, already had his cinematic bag of tricks ready
and was pulling them off whether he had a huge budget or not.

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:00:39 PM PDT
Cabin in the Woods was great. One of the best things I've seen at the theater in a long time. It's far more intelligent than even people that loved it are giving it credit for. Also, it's NOT a Joss Whedon film. It was co-written by him, but that's it. What you saw was the creation of of one Drew Goddard, and that man deserves far more credit than he's getting.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 12:19:39 PM PDT
Becky.horror says:
Marky - yes RED STATE was much worse than the critics said. I watched it 1 night, woke up and didnt remember a thing so watched it again, and i still cant remember anything but boredom. Im on the 4th season Supernatural, it is comfort tv and oddly addictive. Just had to buy the 5th.

Liberal Dead - well we usually agree on most films so i may well give TCITW a crack. Gonna watch RAMPAGE again i think, Brendan Fletcher blew me away (excuse the pun).

I dont think ive seen THE FOLLOWING cant really remember. I actually prefer Nolan's earlier stuff, bit rawer, although i never was a fan of MOMENTO, although Pearce was excellent it was around the time of films starting to be more linear, less cronological ie PULP FICTIONs etc (well kinda that time), so i didnt really feel it stand out, i fully expect every1 to disagree :-) having said that i guess DONNIE DARKO was also abit like that, quantem leaps, and i love that film partially made excellent by the soundtrack.

got ADAM CHAPLIN to see tonight, followed by . . . Supernatural, easy viewing, hell at least i dont watch any of those awful Britain got talent, or X factor stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 6:16:43 AM PDT
Gorgar says:
The music during Donnie Darko did rock, but my favorite part of the film was the true sibling rivalry between Jake and Maggie! "Why don't you go suck a */*/c/k!!!" Laughed so hard I hurt myself!

Watched both Jeepers Creepers and Jeepers Creepers 2 again yesterday and still love those two films.

Does anyone else think Prometheus looks promising?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 8:49:10 AM PDT
Becky.horror says:
im totally over excited by PROMETHEUS and have been for years. i remember in 2001 Scott said he was making a prequel to ALIEN and its taken this long to be released, finally. But i do think the use of the Aliens is limited (apparently) but that could just be rubbish, dont know.

The was meant to be a JEEPERS CREEPERS 3 out at some point but i havent seen anything about it yet.

Posted on May 13, 2012 8:54:00 AM PDT
Nick Jones says:
Humor, horror and Helen Mirren? Got it all right here: When Harry met Sally 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9pkhp_SSr8

Funny on its own, even better if you've seen the original film. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 12:35:08 PM PDT
The first act of "Jeepers Creepers" is one of the most fun intros I've seen in a modern horror flick. The two siblings on their road trip, the evil truck, the creepy setting by the old church where the body was dropped, and what the boy found down that hole.

The movie was an interesting slasher, but as it went on it suffered a little from odd writing, but heck, the appearance of Eileen Brennan was awesome, lol!!

The sequel wasn't as good for me. Nice opening sequence (the young boy on the farm)-- it had this painterly look, like everything had been dappled in amber/gold hues.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 7:40:06 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
I watched that when I was a teenager. Wow, long time ago.

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:39:36 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
The Divide, 8/10
Entertaining and well-written, especially considering it all takes place in the basement of an apartment building. Good acting too. Kinda reminded me of [REC], but has a much more plausible storyline.

Another Earth (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy), 6/10
Not really a sci-fi movie like you'd think. Each scene hints that something interesting is about to happen, but don't believe it. It's just a big tease. Kinda reminded me of MELONCHOLIA, but it has a lot less heart and soul. Disappointing.

Area 407 (Theatrical Rental), 6/10
Another "found footage" documentary about survivors of a plane crash unlucky enough to crash into what seems like a military camp housing some kind of genetically altered wild animals who like killing people. The beginning of this film feels "EXACTLY" like the beginning of [REC]. If you don't mind more of the same ole shakey camera stuff, and you don't mind watching a movie that takes place 80% in the dark, and you don't mind that you never really get to see the monster, you might not hate this one too much.

Posted on May 15, 2012 10:00:48 AM PDT
It's worth noting that, The Divide was filmed sequentially, and the actors improvised a high percentage of their performances. A lot of the on-screen disdain came from real behind the scenes tension. Those guys basically lived in that dungeon together while filming this movie, and to quote Michael Biehn from an early interview, "We f'in' hated each other". This is one of the best things I've seen this year. Well shot isn't even the half of it. Some of the most solid performances I've seen. Almost the whole cast are complete rockstars in that movie. And, the score is one of the best I've heard in a long time. Very reminiscent of an odd blending of Trent Reznor and John Carpenter. The Divide was the first 10/10 film of the year for me.

Posted on May 15, 2012 10:39:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 2:03:59 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
Hi Liberal,

Thanks for the interesting notes on THE DIVIDE. I'm not very generous with my scores, almost never giving 8's or 9's. But I agree with you that THE DIVIDE is probably one of the best movies I've seen this year. It leaves you with so much to discuss, without being obvious about it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 11:39:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 2:07:47 PM PDT
Spoilers edited.

Posted on May 15, 2012 12:09:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 4:09:42 AM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that! (spoiler editted). Thanks Liberal.

Posted on May 15, 2012 12:53:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 12:56:19 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
I was on the fence regarding The Divide, but based on your assessments, I am adding it to my queue post haste. There are a fair share of negative reviews out there, but now I'm thinking most of those reviewers didn't like the film due to a prevailing atmosphere of negativism. I get the feeling The Divide is not exactly an upbeat 'fun' type horror movie.

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:03:34 PM PDT
Juzbyosef says:
I'm going to edit-out my spoilers now that Liberal has clarified some things for me. Wouldn't want to spoil it for someone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 2:08:12 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Thanks Juz - Of course I could not resist reading all the spoilers, but have already made myself forget them through self-hypnosis.

Posted on May 15, 2012 2:10:18 PM PDT
Yeah it's not a "fun" movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's bleak, and often times heartbreaking. It's extremely well made, yet hard to watch at times. It takes place almost entirely in one location, so be prepared for that. It also takes its time introducing you to the characters, and show you how they change under pressure. It's definitely not for mass consumption, but there is one hell of a film in there if it's your kind of thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 2:17:44 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Liberal Dead - That's the thing. It's easy for me to ignore the negative reviews, because your assessment is right along the lines I was thinking and therefore the type of film I can appreciate, thanks.

Don't know when I'll get to see it though, checking my queue the DVD has 'unknown' as date available.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:14:48 PM PDT
Gorgar says:
Liberal.....re "bleak/heartbreaking": You just described the directorial style of George A. Romero. Learn to love and admire the primary characters...see them overcome overwhelming odds, then watch them die horrible deaths!!! Gee...THANKS George!!!
I love that style of film-making.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:24:31 PM PDT
Day of the Dead has always been my favorite Romero film for that very reason. Most horror fans like Dawn better, but for me, nothing tops the bleak unnerving tone of Day. I don't know if I'd necessarily compare The Divide to Day of the Dead, but it is definitely bleak and hopeless, and it definitely spends way more time letting you learn the characters than other movies similar in nature does. Also, as I mentioned above, it was filmed sequentially. So, not only do the actors have an enormous amount of room to learn their character, but they could literally see the arc as it happened, and because of you get A+ performances from all involved. If you've ever seen Crash, you know that Rosanna Arquette has no problem sexually degrading herself on-screen, and she turns in a pitch perfect performance here. I can't say enough positive things about this movie, it really just floored me early in the year, much like Bereavement did last year. Not to compare those films, but they had a similar effect on me, in which I expected to like them, but I didn't expect to be floored by them as I was. I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as I did.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Horror forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
193 Apr 22, 2015
The Lounge 8122 2 minutes ago
Ghost stories! 6 57 minutes ago
What have you watched recently? 3030 1 hour ago
Horror Tag Game 313 9 hours ago
What Horror Book Are You Reading? 3469 10 hours ago
WHAT is the scariest book/story you ever read? 202 3 days ago
Free and/or Discounted Horror Books For Your Kindle! 1891 3 days ago
Nautical Horror 2 3 days ago
Night Gallery-The Doll 12 3 days ago
What's the name of that book? 0 Jun 17, 2016
Tony Todd (Candyman) interview 0 Jun 6, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Horror forum
Participants:  405
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions