Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Meet Our Authors forum

So how does one exactly craft a truly humorous book?

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Nov 25, 2012 6:21:36 AM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 108 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 2:56:21 PM PDT
I have serious doubts that humor can be crafted.
Even more than most writing, I'd sasy it comes out of a writer's personality and manner of expression.

And I think if a writer sees something as having a lot of dialogue in it, it would be a mistake to think he should do it different to be "better". Or vice versa.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 3:40:56 PM PDT
I'll listen carefully to reviewers opinions. And then carry on as I am, until my publisher tells me to stop.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:50:35 PM PDT
I think humour CAN be crafted 0 whilst there's a huge argument for spontaneous humour, some of the best comedians in the world put a lot of effort into their materiel. Very few of them just go up and ad-lib it completely, and those that do are rarely as good as the scripted ones.
It was once said of Tommy Cooper that he was the funniest man alive; that he could make you laugh just by walking on stage.
The reply was: 'Yes, but you should see the amount of work he puts into his walk...'
I write comedy, and it's pretty good, honest!
I go over and over the chapters, (being a very anal person), adding a couple of words in here, pulling some out there, scrapping a joke which seemed funny when I was writing drunk, but isn't unless you are drunk...
No idea if this ends up making it funnier or not, but some parts still make my laugh after reading them dozens of times. Which I guess by some people's standards means they aren't funny at all...

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 9:53:17 PM PDT
What I notice about comics (and actors) is that always say they go to all this work and toil to get it down, but it generally isn't true. They don't like saying, "I was born with a gift of humor and it comes easy", anymore than starlets like to say "I was born gorgeous with great tits, so I get the jobs," and bore you talking about their teachers and classes. But when you try to figure out HOW they do all this crafting, it gets pretty vacuous.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 2:42:37 AM PDT
That Cammy, is because non of us want to give our secret inspiration away, in case others find out just how easy it really can be to be funny.

I rarely now have to re write my jokes, but sometimes, being entirely candid, I can go a complete day without writing one at all.

(I've been accused of managing a whole book without writing a good one, but never mind.)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:48:12 AM PDT
Very interesting author page, Will. I couldn't see your comics. The title sounds pretty interesting. Is it a music thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:02:21 AM PDT
Mmmmmm sort of.

My Mc(s) are a bunch of blues musicians. Who happen to be dwarfs, but hey! Why should humans get the best music?

What couldn't you see on the author page?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 9:25:38 AM PDT
I see your author page, but not the comic books, just three other books.
Blues dwarfs? Are they white? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:06:56 AM PDT
I don't do comic books. I can't draw to save my life.

Just write bad jokes....

I'm afraid that my dwarfs might best be described, in a gender/race statistical survey, as 'grubby'...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:14:56 AM PDT
Perfect. :-)
I realize now you meant "comic" as other than "comic book". Sorry, blonde attack.
Sounds like fun. The best blues band would probably be Smurfs, huh?

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:27:07 AM PDT
Could you see The Smurfs playing: Gimme Some Lovin'????

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:29:38 AM PDT
Or "All Blues"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:43:04 AM PDT
Good one!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 10:55:55 AM PDT
I "Looked Inside" you Mystic Accountants book and got a chuckle just from the "cast of characters". I've heard the drummer joke, but the "drinks heavily, therefore the bass player" got me. Looks pretty funny. Is MA the band name? That's really funny... a dark, bizarre name to a dwarf or troll. Do these guys ever play dances at Hogwarts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:09:47 AM PDT
No, the band are 'The Banned Underground', hence the series title.

each book gets called after an influential character, who is not in fact an MC, and often even plays little part in the book itself... The Vampire Mechanic, (Title of book 3) only turns up at all in 3 chapters

Who needs Hogwarts when you can play the Glasgow Apollo? Or Old Trafford?

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:15:10 PM PDT
Will and Cammy, up a tree, K-I-S-S-I...
*Ow!* What?
:0)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 12:55:12 AM PDT
I never climb trees, Tony.

Going up is easy, but getting down (safely) is harder...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 8:25:02 AM PDT
I used to LOVE climbing trees. But then I climbed one that had a bear in it...
True story!
I even wrote about it:
http://tonyjamesslater.com/home/read-an-excerpt/
See? Told you I was an idiot.
Or, wait - did I not mention that yet?
:0)
Tony

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 12:03:54 AM PDT
Never mind, Tony, you are amongst friends...

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:11:41 AM PDT
S. Gordon says:
I'm a fan of spontaneous humor. You want a plot, and a good story, the. Have the humor be based on the situations, actions, and words of the characters. There are so many different types of humor, and different ways of making a story funny. I like humor where the character doesn't know they're being funny. The movie, "The Jerk," especially Navin's communication with the folks back home, is a good example of this type of humor. Or: Gay Like Me: One Man's Attempt to Step Into Another's Shoes
This book, although the title makes it sound like a parody, is less parody and more "Jerk" style humor.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 9:54:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 23, 2012 1:52:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:43:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 22, 2012 12:11:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 2:04:46 AM PDT
The Card Killer (Detective NAPA - the Native American psychic agent) - my second book is free today June 22nd - guaranteed to brighten your day or your money back.

Dialogue / parody / unexpected reactions or results / scenarios that stretch reality to breaking point.

Please note the guarantee only applies to purchases made on June 22nd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 2:48:54 AM PDT
What's amusing me is how blatant we're all becoming! I never normally do, but everyone else did, so I did. Mistake! Amazon just spanked me good.
Methinks there may be a few other sore buttocks in this group soon... :0)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 4:07:39 AM PDT
I don't know about that. I could barely stop laughing when I wrote my most popular post on my blog about the 9 parts of Speech and the F word.

The worst part is that I've reread it and it still makes me laugh.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (267 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Meet Our Authors forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Jan 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions