Customer Discussions > Humor forum

what is the funniest book/books you have ever read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 787 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 9:30:09 AM PST
Larry, Im with you. I read Catch 22 45 years ago and am still laughing..james

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 9:32:56 AM PST
Don Quixote is a hilarious book once you get used to the language. Something still funny after 500 years..james

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 6:28:38 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
Agree with Confederacy of Dunces...

Another I just LOVED was The Loving Couple - by the same guy that wrote Auntie Mame. Hilarious - kind of dated but a real ride nevertheless.

My brother thought "Where's Poppa" was great, but apparently, the author's other novel - something about a horse - was not all that nifty...BTW, love this thread...

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 6:43:03 AM PST
I agree with Hitchhikers' Guide as being among the best, but the funniest book I ever read snuck up on me while on a long plane flight and my row-mates must of thought I was nuts as I laughed out loud over and over again. It was Six of One by Rita Mae Brown and I still vote it best. If you can't laugh at the girls in the parade scene you'll never laugh again!

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 9:53:42 AM PST
Senor G. says:
I liked Woody Allen's "Without Feathers" and Calvin & Hobbes for the 21st Century Richard Thompson's "Cul De Sac."

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 8:08:12 PM PST
Kesa Hopkins says:
Slapstick, Player Piano, (both Vonnegut) Confederacy of Dunces, 'Tis (Frank McCourt) Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

Posted on Feb 24, 2009 10:05:26 PM PST
Bryan Gibson says:
Marquise De Sade's Juliette, and of course Shahrazad Ali's The Black Man's Guide to Understanding the Black Woman--both are so outrageous they're hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 4:40:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2009 4:42:54 PM PST
Elaine says:
The Girl, the Gold Watch and Everything by John D. MacDonald. The good guy and gal get revenge in some very imaginative and hysterical ways against the bad guys, using a watch that can stop time for everyone except the owner. This one is totally different from MacDonald's other work.

Posted on Feb 25, 2009 11:20:54 PM PST
Evanovitch is great for mystery humor...now also try Anne George's 8 book series featuring Mouse & Sister--absolutely hilarious...everyone I've loaned/referred these to has loved em! Unfortunately Anne died in 2001...so no new Mouse & Sister ever.

I agree; for Southern humor, Grizzard was #1...also Fannie Flagg who wrote Fried Green Tomatoes & can't think of the names of the more recent ones I read. One was about the Mother who broadcasts a radio show from her house...the story continues thru the next generation or so...top notch! Another about the old lady or maybe these characters are in the same book?

My vote for #1 funnyman is Bill Bryson...Neither Here no There and Notes from a Small Island are my faves...I don't usually reread anything...but have reread Bryson's many times. I still laugh so hard my stomach hurts...love most all his stuff.

And finally, Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks has got to be one of the funniest ever...try it, you'll like it!

Thanks for the new ideas...will try some of these authors/books.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 6:17:28 AM PST
C. Berkes says:
Dean Koontz' "Life Expectancy" - totally not what you'd expect from Koontz but I was DYING laughing. I gave it to two family members before returning to the library and I could hear them laughing as they read. It's about the prediction of five terrible days in a man's life, and what happens on those days. Totally outrageous and absolutely one of my favorites.

Christopher Moore's "The Stupidest Angel" was my first introduction to his books and still my favorite. Zombie Santa and a giant Micronesian fruit bat... classic.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 7:47:38 AM PST
C. Berkes says:
I just remembered J.A. Konrath's "Fuzzy Navel," the 5th and most recent book in the Jack Daniels series, was my introduction to the series. I read it after I heard my mother tsk-ing during some parts and she told me about the "HEMATOMA!" yelling. She didn't think it was funny, too "gross," so naturally I picked it up when she was done and almost hurt myself laughing. The scene in the bathroom with Jack's mother and the printer syringe blood transfusion had me howling. The cat was awesome. The idiot bad guys were great. The other books have not lived up to this constant humor/thriller, in my opinion, but this book is the best!

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 2:51:14 PM PST
I love the Stephanie Plum series. For a laugh out loud good time try Patrick Dennis. How Firm a Foundation is one of his best. Auntie Mame is like comfort food, I keep going back to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 3:16:35 PM PST
G. Vonberg says:
I liked my Mom's book: "Dozens Of Uses FOr A Dead Politician." I'll bet you will laugh out loud.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 11:57:59 AM PST
Of all the titles I've read in my life, very few fall outside the category of non-fiction. I can lose myself completely in the drama, suspense, and intrigue of history, scientific breakthrough and theoretical innovation, biographies, philosophies. For some reason I've never been gripped by the craft or creativity of a novelist. It's easier to enjoy an imaginary tale when it's acted out on the stage or screen. I don't like having to conjure scenes in my head from words on a page for the sake of entertainment. For me, fiction has never packed the punch of a well-served slice of truth.

That said, the literary piece I've enjoyed above all others is a book called "Early Bird" by Rodney Rothman (Simon & Schuster Paperbacks, 2006). At twenty-eight, this guy loses his job as a television writer when the show he works for is canceled. Unemployed, single, and severely burnt out from putting in seventy-hour weeks for something like ten years straight, he decides to put the angst and uncertainty of a Hollywood career aside and take an early retirement.

He pays a hundred bucks to Roommate Finders of Florida and hooks up with Margaret, an eccentric elderly woman who rents him a room that he shares with an antagonistic parrot she secretly harbors in her Boca Raton condo in Century Village. Rothman infiltrates the largest and most famous retirement community in the country and struggles to assimilate into a culture that quickly teaches him that maturity, restraint, and social propriety are norms imposed only in the prime of one's life, in that gap between the formative and twilight years during which we're compelled to prove our great restraint.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 12:00:30 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 27, 2009 12:03:13 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 1:20:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2009 1:30:11 PM PST
pitchman says:
A caveat on Tom Robbins: Read two of his books -- I'll suggest Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and Jitterbug Perfume -- but don't read a third. If you do, you will suddenly realize, about halfway through the book, that you already read it twice.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 1:27:15 PM PST
pitchman says:
Two books that made me laugh so hard that I cried are Moo (Jane Smiley) and Memoir from Antproof Case (Mark Helprin). I read The World According to Garp (John Irving) about 27 years ago and remember finding parts of it fall-down funny, but I won't vouch for my 16 year old tastes anymore. I'd have to re-read the book.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 4:44:50 PM PST
Eugene Saint says:
You have got to read The Eggless Club. I laughed till I cried. It's the book I give all my friends!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2009 8:19:38 PM PST
R. Kimbrough says:
My wife would agree with you on "Dunces." I have never heard her laugh that much over a book!

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 9:07:45 PM PST
Skin Tight by Carl Hiaasen is in my Top 10.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 11:01:33 PM PST
Nobody says:
I don't know what the funniest one is, but I'm reading one now that makes me laugh out loud: Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston. I also read one since I got my Kindle called J.D. The Plot to Steal J.D. Salinger's Manuscripts. Laughs all the way through. And many years ago I got a hoot out of The One-Hundred Dollar Misunderstanding.

You guys are making me decide to give Dunces a read. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 11:59:56 PM PST
Lientje says:
If you want to have a laugh on an ongoing basis, get the ONION. It is a newspaper, or sorts, with faux news stories. My recent favorite headline -
Black Man Gets the Worst Job in the World.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 5:57:03 AM PST
Mike, You can add Tourist Season and any of his books with the exgovernor hobo to the list...jim

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009 3:57:41 PM PST
Maybe not laugh out loud but certainly make you feel good!

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 4:44:12 PM PST
Voltaire says:
1) A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole)
2) Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
3) Candide (Voltaire, of course)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (267 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Humor forum
Participants:  600
Total posts:  787
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 64 customers

Search Customer Discussions