Customer Discussions > Humor forum

what is the funniest book/books you have ever read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 751-775 of 788 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 28, 2012 1:51:39 AM PDT
aprilsc says:
I just read Electric Times: Rumblings of the Working Class, funny in spots. I really enjoyed it, and think you will too!

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 2:36:21 PM PDT
Desert Diva says:
Waiting in the Wrong Line

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:47:15 PM PDT
JennyD says:
Speed Limit Dating: The New Dating Technique
Speed Limit Dating: The New Dating Technique
I don't even remember when was the last time I laughed so much. The book is a satire on dating but the tips offered are soooo insightful. You can really tell that the author had a bad decade of bad dating. There's a crazy judge in there, Judge Moore Love who listens to the defense speeches of the "criminals against true love" before insulting them and giving them to the funniest "dating sentences"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 9:43:18 AM PDT
Agreed! Just about anything by Benchley is a laugh out loud read.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:32:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2012 6:34:48 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 1:36:38 PM PDT
Funky Butts: An Unauthorized Autobiography
Of course, funny is totally based on personal taste, but I like silly and wacky along the lines of Spinal Tap and Walk Hard: Dewey Cox. This book is definitely along those lines!
Funky Butts: An Unauthorized Autobiography

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 2:56:49 PM PDT
dwo899 says:
Tobacco is Not a Vegetable just came out last month and is absolutely freaking hilarious. The stories are all real breif, have a good lesson, but most of all they are truly, truly funny: Tobacco is not a Vegetable

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 11:47:29 AM PDT
Dear Diary I'm Wasted by Alexander Strenger. It's one of the funniest and possibly the most vulgar book I've ever come across. Dear Diary I'm Wasted

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 1:43:36 PM PDT
Rugose says:
Two books that I found very funny were "The Lazlo Letters", and "Citizen Lazlo". These were written by Don Novello, who many of you will remember as Father Guido Sarducci, the cigarette smoking Priest on the old SNL show. He wrote another similar book called "From Bush to Bush" that I couldn't get into, but the first two were really belly laughing funny in quite a few places.

The Lazlo LettersCitizen Lazlo!: The Lazlo Letters, Volume 2

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 11:19:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 6, 2012 12:25:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 11:47:19 AM PDT
You cannot promote your own work in this forum. Amazon will be deleting your post anytime because they monitor these forums stringently.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 12:14:23 PM PDT
You sure about that, Honeybump? People have been promoting their own books on this thread for a long time now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:25:18 PM PDT
Carol Dance says:
Sorry!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:30:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 12:32:32 PM PDT
Most definitely. They deem this a discussion thread, and they've set up a specific place for authors to hawk their wares. This thread isn't it.

Oh, and those who have been promoting their own books have been getting deleted. Just go to July 31 and see if what I'm saying isn't true.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:31:21 PM PDT
Thanks, Carol. I noticed you beat Amazon to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 12:38:58 PM PDT
You may be right, but skim through this thread and you'll find a lot of self-promoters still here (Note: they do not always identify themselves as author, though).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 2:22:06 PM PDT
And in that case there's absolutely no way for Amazon to know who they are. So I can't speak to that. I just know that I am right--if any author gets *caught* promoting their own work, Amazon will be on them like a duck on a junebug. And if you know specific authors who are masquering, then you should do your civic duty and report them through the "report abuse" button. Simples. They set up a specific forum for authors, so it's not fair that they're ruining it for everyone by abusing the privilege.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 3:01:54 PM PDT
OK. First of all, I did not know that there was a "no self-promotion" rule. Over the years, I've seen quite a few SP posts, but never went back to notice if they were deleted.

Secondly, there are a lot of posts that I only suspect are SPs. Usually: very little text, then just a link.

For example, see page 27 of this thread. There are two disclosed SPs, and there are quite a few others that I suspect are SPs, but can't prove. I think you'll see what I mean.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 3:33:45 PM PDT
If you click on "guidelines" in this window, then scroll down to "What shouldn't I post?" you'll see this statement:

Any form of "spam," including advertisements, contests, or other solicitations for other websites or companies; or any URL link that includes a "referrer" tag or affiliate code.

When an author posts about his own book in a discussion thread not set up for self-promotion, then it's considered spam, and removable by the Amazon community people who constantly read these forums.

I'm not going to go snaking through pages of discussion. If you think or suspect that someone is self-promoting, then REPORT THEM. They can sort it with Amazon if they disagree.

FOR YEARS, Amazon has had a self-promotion place set up for authors who wish to promote their books. There used to be self-promotion threads amongst others, but the cross-pollination and spamming got to be too much for the readers interested only in discussing books. Go to their self-promotion forum and read those guidelines. You'll clearly see that no spam has been the rule in the discussion forums since they've had the Community forums.

I not sure why you're being so dogmatic about this and unwilling to finally let it drop, but I'm giving you real information. I am an author who learned a few times that I'd accidentally posted in the wrong place--my posts were deleted, hands slapped, lesson learned.

And now the discussion has run its course.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 10:19:45 PM PDT
Well, I mean, goodness. have a little pride. That's not hard to figure out.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 1:04:59 AM PDT
thatgamer says:
It's got to be Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I was casually reading through when I was bored one day, but when I got to chapter seven and hit the part with Vogon poetry, I nearly died laughing. It was just awesomely silly wordsmithing.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 9:18:23 AM PDT
Libros Lover says:
Christopher Moore is one of the funniest writers ever. Lamb, Dirty Job and The Bloodsucking Fiends Trilogy top my list.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 9:07:32 PM PDT
A new e-book called Stung Hard. Not only was it a gas, it was a pretty good mystery to boot.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 10:09:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 10:35:07 AM PDT
Miriam says:
This dates me, I'm sure: Richard Armour's "American Lit Re-Lit." My father passed by as I was reading it and said it must be funnier than Russell Baker. 'Vachel Lindsay is easily the noisiest poet in American literature."

"Preposterous Papa" by Lewis Meyer (alas, o.p.). It's about an eccentric businessman, patriarch of a Jewish family in Sapulpa, Oklahoma.

"The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" by Max Shulman. This one was in print last time I checked. Set at the University of Minnesota, in the 40's IIRC.

"Ignorance Is Blitz" edited by Anders Henriksson. Original title: Non Campus Mentis.

A few of the funny parts of serious novels:

Queequeg "selling his head" in "Moby-Dick".
The three dinner parties in "Babbitt."
The conversations between Holden and Ackley in "The Catcher in the Rye."

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 5:36:42 PM PDT
Stella S. says:
The Cat and the Hat xD
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (267 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Humor forum
Participants:  601
Total posts:  788
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 31, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 64 customers

Search Customer Discussions