Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now bgg
Customer Discussions > Humor forum

Is there a large audience for *Adult Humor* kindle books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 96 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 11, 2011 6:28:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2011 6:32:24 AM PDT
norm cowie says:
When I tried to get an agent for The Guy'd Book, one of the superagents said she loved the book but couldn't see the audience. She said most agents won't consider a non-fiction humor book by someone who doesn't already have an audience (a comedian on television or established stand-up comic), and she encouraged me to turn to fiction.

So I wrote two fantasy humor books (The Adventures of Guy and its sequel THE NEXT ADVENTURES OF GUY). Each of these are adult humor, I thought, until I found out teens were reading them. So I wrote two YA humor/vampire/werewolf spoofs (Fang FaceE and WereWoof.)

But then it gets a bit weird. I wrote Bonk & Hedz ... a caveman ... and woman ... story thinking it was a YA humor with adult crossover potential, but all of my beta readers said it was actually adult due to the political humor in the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 2:57:19 AM PDT
Josey Wales says:
HI Cristian. I agree with you there is a market, but it's probably one which requires a little more try and test - humour can be such a subjective subject matter. I've also written a book in adult humor which is on amazon so hopefully people will experiment with different types.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 4:01:51 PM PDT
MadCow says:
The Bumble's End by Jimmy Bain

Is Funny and Dark and definitely not politically correct.

Imagine Philip Marlowe woke up one day with the mother of all hangovers and discovered he'd been turned into a Glaswegian. And not only that but he's saddled with a partner in the shape of his devious fat friend, The Bumble. Well, that's how the Narrator feels.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 4:07:46 AM PDT
John Baker says:
Hi. Interesting question. I've a very English humorous book called Pets in a Pickle about a young veterinarian's exploits treating an array of different animals. One reviewer said it should be issued with a health warning as you could die from laughing. It's currently No 3 in the UK Amazon Kindle Bestseller list and beginning to creep up ont US Kindle rating - priced $1.57. So it doesn't cost a bomb to buy though you might explode from laughing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 7:39:17 PM PDT
Joankelsy says:
Hi Norm,
Sorry it took so long to reply.
What you are doing would never work for me. More power to you. I was writing a serious semi-autobiographical work which became a bit of a drag, so went to humor for my first published book.
I had an offer from a business associate who would put me in the hands of an agent. Trouble was that the manuscript would be put in the hands of another agent (literary type) and would not be looked at for (at the time) several more months, then after what I understand regarding agents, go through something beyond scrutiny and criticism.
Rather than have someone literally write the book for me, I went the self-publish route.
I have made mistakes, mainly because editing and some info were not available from the publisher. (I had paid extra for speedy, but would have to wait in line for an editor. A friend with teaching experience helped. There were other problems, like limited info on cost of handling which gave me the wrong slant on pricing my book.) The publishers did a nice job on the layout and my cartoons.
Right now, I am attempting to get the word out about my creation, "Cooking For Dykes", written under the pseudonym Jeanne Savage. The internet is so time-consuming, that I have trouble focusing on my writing of the semi-autobio.
At several fairs on Cape Cod, recently, I did quite well, particularly when folks realized the book is not exactly a cookbook, rather a fun book.
Good luck to you, Norm.

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 1:38:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 11, 2011 1:39:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 9:59:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2011 10:08:03 AM PDT
Hi everyone,

Thanks for this discussion, I was trying to learn about Amazon tags and what tags I should use for my book. I looked at many of your books, and tagged and liked them, to decide on tags to use for Diary of a Public Radio Slave.

If you get a chance please check out my new tags and "tag" them! Good luck with your books. :)Diary of a Public Radio Slave

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 8:18:29 PM PST
Dave Fox says:
There's obviously a market for edgier humor out there. When I changed the title of my Kindle book from "Tales from Planet Earth" to "Kinky Chipmunks and Horny Goblins," I saw a notable bump in sales. :-)

Kinky Chipmunks & Horny Goblins: Approximately Ten Funny Stories

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 7:34:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2011 10:55:37 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:20:20 AM PST
Are You Boys Cyclists? is an ebook folk have told me is very funny. it was published first by Serpent's Tail. I'll come back and say more about it, but this is really a test to see if I've managed to do what's necessary to join in discussions on

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:31:50 AM PST
Hurry! I'm in! This year I retired as a school librarian in Edinburgh and uploaded ten books onto kindle, all at 86p. I've been told these books are very funny, which is why I'm posting here. Sorry, it's a dollar in the states!!Alma Mater is about being a student and doing a lot of drugs at Edinburgh University. There are some very funny bits in it (people have told me!). But it's in the third person. I started a style of writing in the first person for Are You Boys Cyclists? which was published by Serpent's Tail. It's an idiosyncratic, semi autobiographical style owing maybe something to Henry Miller, Kurt Vonnegut and Charles Bukowski. It's got an explicit erotic element, but otherwise is about boxing and writing and living in rented flats in Edinburgh in the 1970s. Next up is The Buddha and the Big Bad Wolf which is about a ridiculous buddhist

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 11:17:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 11:18:17 PM PST
Tom Tiding says:
I hear you Norm. Even if you've got an established following (I've got about 4000 on Facebook), it's another thing to sell them on buying a book. Out of that 4000, I think I sold 4 books. Of course, it's 4 books I wouldn't have sold otherwise, and it doesn't cost me anything to post the link....

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:22:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2011 10:38:29 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:07:00 PM PST
norm cowie says:
@Dave Fox
Who wouldn't like Kinky Chippindale monks? Oh, Chipmunks. Yeah, I see how you'd get more readers. Well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:07:47 PM PST
norm cowie says:
@Tom Tiding
What kind of friends do you have on FB? Not readers, I assume?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 8:44:22 PM PST
Tom Tiding says:
It's a fan page for my greeting card company (, so the "Likers" are people who have bought my type of humor before. Given that my book is an extension of the same type of humor, I didn't expect that it would be a tough sell (especially since the Kindle edition is *as cheap as a single greeting card*).

But it's still tough. Things have changed a little since mid-December-- I've definitely sold a few more books to FB fans (and fans did ultimately leave reviews after a ton of asking). I want to promote the book more to them, but at some point, the FB fans are there for the content and not the promos.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 8:36:49 PM PST
norm cowie says:
You might try friending people who follow writers similar to your work. Like if people compare your stuff to Christopher Moore, you could friend his followers. That way you are keying in on your target audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 8:55:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 8:55:46 PM PST
Tom Tiding says:
That's a good call-- I hadn't thought of it before now. I've targeted my page at comedy fans, but I had not targeted it at fans of humor authors... Now that I type this, I feel mind-numbingly stupid for not having thought of this before. (Thanks).

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 12:48:37 AM PST
Mike Cyra says:
I don't know if my book is considered "Adult humor." I certainly don't want young kids to get a hold of it. They grow up fast enough already. I always tell folks, "It's not for kids or your deeply religious grandmother." It IS yea maybe it's adult humor.
I'm sorry what was your question?
Emergency Laughter

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 1:56:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 1:56:59 PM PST
paul4laffs says:
I have an adult humor book up on Amazon. Have had sales, but not as many as I hoped. Of course, mine is a non-fiction political liberal book (but very funny), so I've had to market to a smaller demographic, I think. My next book probably will not be adult, just to get a broader audience. Do Republican Women Get Horny? And other election-year mysteries.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 2:57:11 PM PST
George Carlin was a best seller for a good while. I sure hope there's an audience

My book is free for a few more days "Why Liberals and Conservatives Blow"(each other). It's got adult humor in the title but so far only one guy reviewd it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 3:21:03 PM PST
Javier says:
That's a great title, Paul! Hehehehe ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 7:22:07 PM PST
paul4laffs says:
Thanks, Javier. Always feel a compelling title is half the battle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 10:48:15 AM PST
I have the same problem with my e-book. It is non-fiction and mostly "lite" adult humor. Do I classify it has humor or something else? Nobody would want to read a biography of a common person.

As Bill would say, "I feel your pain".
Reflections of Life of a Common Man

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 9:37:31 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 29, 2012 12:38:58 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (268 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Humor forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions