Customer Discussions > Humor forum

Why is the "humor" community so humorless?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1101-1124 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 20, 2012 8:22:55 AM PDT
Kevin Joslin says:
I can only speak for myself as I don't know any other comedy writers. I am a fairly dull person really. Sure, I can be funny on paper (top-20 best-seller - no pimping required!)but in person? Probably not. On a forum? Definitely not - why would I want to give away my best ideas to other writers?

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 12:40:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 12:46:18 PM PDT
K. Joslin,
That was boringly funny. Congrats on your success! But why would you not try to be funny on this forum? I am the only one that listens lately. And I ain't writin' no mo'.

Now this is funny. When I finished my first book, I had a stroke. It was done, but I knew I needed a lot of editing, but I was so happy to have it done I put it on Kindle just to see it on there. A year later I got epilepsy as a symptom from my stroke. Apparently 5% of stroke survivors get epilepsy at some point after a stroke. So I got the "Stroke Lottery!" This is not a joke - all true - i promise. I don't know why I said about my stroke again - it has been awhile that I mentioned that, but I do once in awhile because I started this thread a looooong time ago and it was really going well at first. So I just checking in once in awhile to say hello to the chance post that pops in once in awhile. After my stroke I could not read or write. It was ironic that I picked up my own book I wrote and could not read it. That was a surreal feeling.

I taught myself how to read and write, because I didn't have insurance for therapy, but I wouldn't have gone anyway. I like doing things myself and knew I could do that too. But my computer skills are very minimum now. Just the basics.

As far as people stealing your ideas. Maybe, but I think that new writers are so into their own selves that they would not do it. They think they are better, so don't need your ideas. The ones you have to worry about are the ones that are already established and may have a deadline or something and have writer's block and surfing for ideas.

I don't know why I wrote you about my health condition, Kevin. I guess my Medicaid agent is Kevin too - THAT'S A JOKE! - Nope, I really don't know why. Just because I suppose. btw, I farted twice while I was writing this.

God Bless,
PC as in Positive

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 2:02:26 PM PDT
Neil Saldana says:
Good to see you're still around PC! Sorry I've neglected this forum but work has been chaotic and I have a new dame who likes to drink more than I do...score!!!
Also I haven't wrote much other than notes and ideas lately but the biggest reason I have shied away from this forum is the stupid Amazonian's steppin' on our pimpdom! Oh well, I'm still around and will try to say something positive and funny next time.
Cheers, salud, Blah!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 4:52:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2012 4:53:05 PM PDT
Cathy Turney says:
Well, I'm promoting my blog but it's free and (I've been told) very funny! So is that OK? Here's the link: http://speakingfranklydotme.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/an-i-for-an-i-2/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 5:28:24 PM PDT
Dear Positive Cynic,

I just read this tonight. I don't remember what I wrote you, but I'm sure it wasn't sarcastic nd now I see you are ill. How Are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 5:31:46 PM PDT
Ahhh I see it now, there is a little sarcasm, but everything I said about my life is true.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 8:57:49 PM PDT
Camille says:
Hey guys if you're looking to read some sarcastic type humor, please check out my book just off the press and selling on Amazon, "No Vaccine for Stupid" By Camille Nesler.
Thanks! and if you do buy and read it, please leave me a review!

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:47:31 AM PDT
Donna L. Maysack,
Thank you for the note. I am as good as I can be, but sarcasm is what really keeps me going So thank you for your kind words. It was just what I needed today. I am not bitter, but love the challenge God has given me. I am a fighter.
God Bless you Donna,
Tim :-)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 2:16:34 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 10, 2012 2:31:06 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 5:52:19 PM PDT
Try this and it will change your mind!

The Charles & Michael Collection: Book One

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 2:04:36 PM PDT
cerinto says:
To laugh or not to laugh, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to have a good laugh at reading Pope Joan by Cerinto or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them. To laugh, to pull someone's leg, no more. And by a laugh to say we end the heart-ache and the thousand natural jokes that flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 12:12:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 12:32:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:34:43 PM PDT
Tom Tiding says:
Your advertisements have, in fact, not convinced me that there is humor to be found here.

Posted on May 26, 2012 6:41:42 AM PDT
I Thought I would add to the discussion about my book, new to all this so be patient and kind. My Book is called " Over The Hill You Must Be Joking" And is a large selection of jokes relating to the ageing process and is a great read to cheer you up.
Are you feeling your age, Don't worry instead celebrate your years of wisdom with this book either for yourself or send to a friend. Over the hill will have you laughing until you cry with the most funniest jokes, stories and verser you have ever heard.
Guaranteed to crack you up. Jennifer WatsonOver the hill you must be joking

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:33:24 PM PDT
If I Were You, I'd read this one. It's at least worth the Kindle sample. Pimpers unite!

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 6:04:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 6:06:11 AM PDT
Edwin Stark says:
Hmmm... just posting to mention that I don't think that humor is dead... with the world recession and the Ever Shrinking Wallet Syndrome, I suspect that humor is merely on "suspended animation" and a "temporary coma"...

Anyway, it just boils out to people having a sense of humor... or truly lacking one. I explored this notion on a blog post sometime ago, and I will reproduce it below for your benefit. Please note: the title of my book is embedded into it, and I'm WAAAY too lazy to edit it out ;P.... :

"A recent review of Eco Station One just opened my eyes. It revved up my mental gears, and made me realize I can easily separate the entire world's population into two categories: Those who like Eco Station and those who don't. Those who will enjoy this particular book can be easily be spotted because they're the coolest, wittiest, most beautiful and sexiest individuals around. In simpler words: they can easily get into the joke, forgive the typos and stuff, and just dig into the crazy world of Eco Station. (If you have been reading this far, you may be wondering how can you visually determine those who won't like Eco. Well, that's easy: they are sour, bitter and the uncoolest individuals ever, who will read the first page and openly state: "What sort of craziness is this?!?!". Ah, they don't have any sense of humor whatsoever, suffer from dandruff and have to rent U-hauls to drag their hemorroids along with them).

When I wrote this book, I forgot (quite deliberately, I guess) a joke from an old Steve Martin movie. In this funny scene, Martin tries to explain a bewildered Joan Cussack that there are people who think they have a sense of humor.... but in reality they don't. Then, to prove his point, he proceeds to tell her a joke:

"What's the difference between a lightbulb and a pregnant woman?" (read this with a thick Brooklyn accent, will ya?)

As far as I recall, she just tilts her head... slightly... in total confusion.

"You can unscrew a lightbulb.

"Huh?" replies Cussack, quite intelligently.

"See? You think you have a sense of humor... but you don't..."

Now I wish that I had paid more heed to this little bit of Truth. But when I spent nearly ten months writing Eco I was hoping to find at least a million of readers... the sort that really gets the joke. So far, after a year trying to market the book, I've only found a dozen of these cool and sexy people. Now...

Which kind of person are you? The sort with a sense of humor? Or the kind that lacks one? "

End of blog excerpt

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:43:03 PM PDT
Humor can't be dead!
You know what you need? A Magic Marker.
That'll put a smile on anyone's face...

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 9:29:30 AM PDT
S. Gordon says:
Plug time. You should read this book. It's not funny, but it helps some great charity or the other. Maybe it's the "save the Moose of the UP," or perhaps it's, "save the Asian Carp in the Great Lakes" group.
Gay Like Me: One Man's Attempt to Step Into Another's Shoes
Ok, I was kidding. It's actually a marginally funny book--no, a hilarious book--which bridges the gap between serious concerns and humor. Try the sample, and save the Asian Bighead Carp who are trying desperately to make their way into the Great Lakes..

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 5:30:11 AM PDT
To those that care, I am still alive.

To those that don't care, I am still alive (sorry about that).

To those that are indifferent:
The Simpletons - A Study in the Politics of Rock and Roll

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 7:28:30 AM PDT
Island Girl says:
PC,

(Iggy breathes a sigh of relief.)

Truly the best news I've heard all week. Hope all is well in your world. Take care now, ya hear?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 11:56:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 11:57:25 AM PDT
Neil Saldana says:
Glad you're still here, Holmes! I'm recovering from a hangover but you probably already new that! Just wrote a new piece, will post eventually, cheers!
Hola, I to the G!!!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 5:16:39 AM PDT
Iggy and the Neilster!!!!!
Awesome that we got all together for a day. Just like the old days my friends. So life ain't too bad after all huh?
Y'all come back now... ya hear?

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:44:06 AM PST
Daren Doucet says:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Daren+Doucet Why is the humor community so humorless? Does it have to do with their lack of shamelessness? Attached is a link to two humor books. A series, what??

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 11:13:31 AM PST
Daren Doucet says:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Daren+Doucet Rediscover funny,
‹ Previous 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (267 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Humor forum
Participants:  187
Total posts:  1124
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions