Customer Discussions > Humor forum

Why is the "humor" community so humorless?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2009 3:28:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2010 12:44:48 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 1:53:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 9, 2011 6:36:07 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 8:47:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 15, 2011 6:41:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 5:34:39 PM PDT
Annie B says:
Dang, I wish I'd written a book so I could join you guys in shamelss self-promotion. I miss out on all the good stuff...

And BTW, best of luck to all of you. It's tough being a writer.

Though I admit it sometimes gets on my nerves when authors barge into a discussion with outright shameless promotion of their books (especially when their books are written in a totally different genre), I've grown to admire the spirit and courage it takes.

I've also ran across some wonderful books that way. So keep on pimpin'!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 8:10:10 PM PDT
Prescott says:
PC- I'd consider reading your book- but I'm afraid you'd leave me hanging at the end, like you did with this joke! :)

Would you care to finish your (very non-kosher) joke?

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 8:16:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2010 12:45:08 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 12:50:18 PM PDT
Prescott says:
PC-

Epic WIN for the Family Guy plug! Now, if you'd really like a challenge- include an obscure reference to Leonard Cohen in your next book! :D

What a great special offer! 8 books, for the low, low price of 8 books! I'm positively giddy! Now, if I could only afford a Kindle...

As to the joke: I was afraid you'd say that. ;) It's cute. But, don't trust my opinion on it- I'm the sort who actually enjoys both puns, and limmericks!

Thanx for the nod during your acceptance speech- but I'm so OVER 'viral'! I suggest that we turn this into a full-on 'meme'!

Now- what to plug....

Oh! There's a hot (and VERY sexy) thread on Amazon, that I'm involved with...please feel free to leave an enlightened comment! Preferably one of the stuffy and literate (literary?) sort!

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/humor/forum?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3HCQ4OEXE0SHL&cdThread=Tx106389TDFRNIX

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 1:43:09 PM PDT
Are we promoting our own books? I like promoting my book!

Reinventing Alvin

I also like promoting the fact that you can read the first three chapters for free on my website:

http://dantekleinberg.com/read-an-excerpt-of-my-novel/

Man, this is fun. Good times, good times...

I'd like this to be a self-promotion / joke thread, so here's my joke:

Two Canadians are hanging out in a bar one night, and they decide to play 20 questions.
Canadian # 1 has to think of something for his friend to guess, and after a few moments he decides on "Moose Testicles"
Canadian # 2 says "Is it a famous person?"
Canadian # 1 says "No, it's not a famous person."
Canadian # 2 says "Okay, is it bigger than a breadbox?"
Canadian # 1 says "It is NOT bigger than a breadbox."
Canadian # 2 says "Is it something good to eat?"
Canadian # 1 laughs says "Well... I GUESS you could eat it, sure..."
Canadian # 2 says "Is it moose testicles?"

Good night everybody...

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 2:25:17 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 5:15:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2010 12:45:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 5:39:27 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 8:02:32 AM PDT
Lisa,
You are not officially pimping your book unless you provide a link, so I'll pimp it for you:

Bad to the Bone: Memoir of a Rebel Doggie Blogger

And while you're at it kiddies, don't forget:

The Simpletons - A Study in the Politics of Rock and Roll

I heard that if Obama gets the Olympics in Chicago, they're going to add a new event - the 2 x 4 stroke.

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 3:10:52 PM PDT
Prescott says:
I dunno, kids-
I do LIKE humour, (especially dark, or 'topical') but with the word 'pimping' being bandied about, I'd like to see some books with really raw sexual content. The sort of book everyone reads- but no one admits to owning!

Hmmm- maybe I will write that book, myself! Write what you know/enjoy, and all that. :)

Why did the whale go to the Tupperw...uh, plastic-buying party?

He was looking for a tight seal.

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 5:00:18 PM PDT
Douglas Paul says:
Okay, I give up: Why is the "humor" community so humorless?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2009 11:49:50 AM PDT

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 2:42:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2010 12:45:44 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 3:06:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 10, 2010 12:45:54 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 8:07:57 AM PDT
Paula Shene says:
figured I jump into this pool since it looks like most of the books are adult based - this one is for all ages tho' it is aimed at the 7-12 year oldMandy The Alpha Dog: The Chronicles of the K-9 Boys and Girls on Locus Streetand covers serious problems like mistreatment, fears, overeating, obesity, biting, forgiveness, being a family, becoming a winner. Mandy The Alpha Dog: The Chronicles of the K-9 Boys and Girls on Locus Street is done in humorous fashion supported by cartoon illustrations, thus the appeal even to the adult. And as Positive Cynic keeps pimping his book - one more time Mandy The Alpha Dog: The Chronicles of the K-9 Boys and Girls on Locus Street

Posted on Oct 5, 2009 12:43:50 PM PDT
Prescott says:
Pimpin' Pimpin'....

Don't worry PC- I've gone out to buy a BIIIG hat, faux-fur cape, and a big pimp-cane! After all, if one is going to pimp, one should look the part!

As we know, I have nowt of my own to pimp. So, I'm going to use a 'borrowed ho'...

Summer Sun Risin'

My kid found this book at our library, and we both fell in love with it! The words on the tongue- the cadence- "taste" like it were written by Maya Angelou. It was written by a man named W. Nikola-Lisa, who is a cute, but apparently married professor of Education in Evanston, Illinois.

I'm not sure if I can actually put this here, but an example of this brilliant prose is:

Milk in a glass,
egg in a cup.
Toast on a plate
butter side up.

Fritters in a pan,
coffee in the pot.
Summer sun's risin',
makin' it hot.

Easy on the ears, and a bit hypnotic for kids. This is my nominee to replace 'Goodnight Moon' on the shelves of American children. (I still don't totally understand the appeal of that book!)

And-Douglas Paul,
The answer is: Because there is just nothing funny, about humour!

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 2:22:28 PM PDT
Cutting Through the Knot (Second Edition)

I think my book is pretty funny too!

If you can see the humor is crawling out of the pit
of obsessive despair, and twice escaping from
an upscale upper-east side psychiatric hospital.

No. Really. A lot of laughs.

Cutting Through the Knot!

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 2:06:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 7, 2009 12:06:39 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 5:17:45 PM PDT
Okay, I'll join in. I admit to being Easily Amused.
And also, it's true there are Lies I Told My Children.

But unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, depending on your point of view) you can't read either one unless you have a Kindle... :0

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 9:42:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 14, 2009 2:39:15 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 12:37:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 6, 2009 1:14:01 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 22, 2009 2:52:02 PM PDT
Know what's not funny? Ebooks that cost too much.

Besserwisser: A Novel is now available for the Kindle at a new lower price of only $1.99.

It's also available on Smashwords as a multi-format ebook at the same low price. I hope you'll check it out.

Cheers, happy reading,
Steve
Besserwisser: A Novel
http://www.stephenfanderson.com
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Humor forum
Participants:  187
Total posts:  1124
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions