Customer Discussions > Humor forum

Is there a large audience for *Adult Humor* kindle books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2011 2:44:43 AM PDT
Happiness May Vary

You know it's funny, I wrote an adult humor book without really checking to see if there is an audience for that genre of book. I know that humor books can be successful, but they are mostly the ones written by celebrities and Dave Berry. But are there people that get up in the morning and say, "Hey, I wonder if anyone has released a good adult humor book today?"

Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 5:38:56 AM PDT
I'm sure there is a market for this genre, Christian - at least I hope so...

Here is my offering. Good luck with yours.

The Assistant Kindle version

The Assistant paperback version

Chronic agoraphobic Stuart Watson hasn't left his flat for two years, relying on the internet, his phone and a credit card for all contact with the outside world. But when his new PC arrives, Stuart is startled when Anna - the attractive interactive on-screen assistant - responds to him in an amazingly lifelike manner. With Stuart housebound and Anna trapped in a job she hates - checking spellings and offering user help - the two soon develop a repartee. Stuart wins Anna's trust by making her window bigger and fiddling the system date on the PC so she can miss her time of the month. They become friends, and eventually fall in love - though not, unfortunately, at the same time.

Of course pill-popping, wine-guzzling Stuart is imagining it all - or is he?

In a bizarre rollercoaster battle of the sexes Stuart meets his match as Anna learns more about the real world, developing a taste for television soaps, yoga, Bono and Jimmy Choo stilettos. But Stuart has a bombshell to drop, and when he finally needs to be rid of Anna and venture back to the outside world, she is more reluctant to disappear than he bargains for...

Posted on Mar 26, 2011 10:05:36 AM PDT
Happiness May Vary
Everybody Masturbates

My book 'Everybody Masturbates' is still climbing the Adult humor charts, but I'm refusing to check my sales so I don't know how well it's doing. It is perched right outside the top 100.

My new release 'Happiness My Vary' is described thus: Some people find happiness by listening to their hearts, others their minds, but Ben listens to his alcoholic, verbally abusive penis and things don't work out quite as planned. 'Happiness May Vary' is a story about what happens when two heads are not necessarily better than one.'

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 12:09:50 AM PDT
Happiness May Vary
Everybody Masturbates
Sounds funny! How's it doing?

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 2:20:32 AM PDT
MadCow says:
My partner Jimmy Bain's book The Bumble's End certainly contains adult humour.

It's comedy crime set in Scotland and has a host of wacky characters, some dark humour and a distinct lack of political correctness. It makes a lot of people laugh - check the reviews of the paperback version here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1849232598/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Posted on Mar 27, 2011 12:32:40 PM PDT
Mark Porter says:
My book contains quite a it of adult humour and is picking up slowly in the U.S. after a fast start in the UK.

Dogs Chase Cars

"Dogs Chase Cars made me laugh out loud. Many times. It is reminiscent of Carl Hiaasen's books - an excellent crime drama coupled with hilarious dialogue and situations. I totally loved it. - Mike Boon, writer/comedian --www.amazon.co.uk

Personal favorites in the category include Joe R. Lansdale's 'Captain's Outrageous,' You may lose a kidney.

www.markporter.weebly.com
www.drugstorebooks.com

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 9:22:23 PM PDT
M. Williams says:
I published adult humor with Chasing the Jersey. Very Tucker Maxish. I'm hoping it'll do well.

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 5:52:24 PM PDT
R. Bell says:
Lots of kids had to be funny to make friends and be liked at school. I had to be funny to get my parents to like me. That being said, my first ebook entitled, "Life Seemed Good, But...." is now available. It not only chronicles my life, it also answers life's deepest questions, such as 'I wonder what that grilled cheese sandwich is thinking, why didn't Santa bring me a hovercraft when I was 12, and how do I travel to the future using a big laser and aluminum foil (foil is also good for protecting yourself from psychics).' Yes indeed, even the cover is hilarious (drunken clowns in a jeep). But don't just take my word for it, ask Bob! (Bob is busy now but would have told you to check it out.) Most stories are taken from my monthly column in Wassup Local Magazine which I've called Modern Fable. Each is one page or less and very easy to read (except for a few big words) and will have you shaking your head in consternation in no time at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 7:44:02 PM PDT
Happiness May Vary
Everybody Masturbates

My book 'Happiness My Vary' answers the profound question, what would your penis say if it could talk?' Would it get verbally abuse when it got drunk? That question and many more answered in 'Happiness May Vary'. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 6:42:24 PM PDT
Out of the Loop

This book now available via amazon/kindle as an e-book.

Check out web-site: morganmcfinn.com

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 7:17:01 PM PDT
Eric Spudic says:
I wrote one about a plumber fighting giant poop monsters.

Turds

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 7:25:00 AM PDT
Mark, I love Carl's books. To the question at large, I think there is interest in books that are funny, as long as they are grounded in something that others are interested in. Mine, "I Wear the Shorts in this Family" is new and selling well in parenting categories and in humor. To start blind and try to write something like Sedaris, where you just take on whatever topic suits you, is going to be a tough haul (unless you are Sedaris) but if you ground it with something else to get your foot in the door then I think people will find it. At least, that's what I'm counting on.

Charles Dowdy

I Wear the Shorts in this Family

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 7:20:18 AM PDT
padroniac says:
My book 'Chip Hitler and His Pissy Fit of Evil!' was written for the adult market. It's about a superhero who goes insane after being persecuted for his exact likeness to Adolph Hitler (except he's taller).
Here's the complete description:
TNT was a superhero with a selfless agenda: helping humanity.
When certain members of the human race evolved into super beings, TNT embraced his god-like powers and tried hard to be one of the good guys.
Unfortunately, his change also altered his appearance, making him look and sound exactly like Adolph Hitler, except taller!
The tabloids renamed him Chip Hitler (as in chip off the ol'block). Chip perseveres until he is framed by the "hero" Moses who sends him into an inter-dimensional prison.
But Chip Hitler has escaped, and he wants vengeance on a world that has forced him into evil madness.
Now, a team of metas formed from the dregs of the hero community have banded together as The Alpha Dogs of Righteousness! Consisting of the deer-enabled Deerstryke, the mentally challenged intelligence drainer Mindnumb, the ultra-sexy MILF, and the shrinking dwarf Electron, the Alpha Dogs are led by the enigmatic Powerchair to save the world from Chip Hitler's rampage!

Posted on Apr 26, 2011 3:14:32 PM PDT
By adult humor, do you mean humor and a lot of sex, or just something that you would not want your kids to read? My book, "Laugh in the Face of PMS Diary", does not contain sex scenes but I still would not my kids to read it.
Laugh in the Face of PMS Diary

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 1:50:42 PM PDT
B. Melillo says:
Sex, Drugs, & a Lobster Roll

Here is the one I wrote. It's a humor cookbook probably unlike anything else you have ever read. :)

Posted on Apr 30, 2011 6:55:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 10, 2011 6:41:12 PM PDT]

Posted on May 2, 2011 10:44:39 AM PDT
If you look at comedy shows, even those which start small, you'll know that humour is always successful.
I did the same, wrote a collection of short stories without even thinking about publishing, but the first feedback was just 'wow', then send them out to publishers, got rejected, found one in the end but pulled out to self-publised and now sell successfully. It's important to market them to the right audience, I'd say.

Posted on May 17, 2011 5:08:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 29, 2011 10:22:23 AM PDT]

Posted on May 26, 2011 2:55:44 PM PDT
MadCow says:
Well, there seems to be an audience for comedy crime.

My partner's book The Bumble's End by Jimmy Bain is a comedy crime novel. It's noirish at times and not for the easily offended but people who like Carl Hiasson or even Janet Evanovich, seem to find it funny.

Posted on May 26, 2011 3:57:40 PM PDT
Romi M says:
I wrote my book because I wanted to bring adult or (grown-up) humor to a wider audience.

I liked Charles's comment about grounding your effort with something else to get your foot in the door, since we can't exactly go from zero to David Sedaris.

In my case I wrote an entirely grown-up humor book The Book of Awful, which is a parody of the bestselling "The Book of Awesome."

I would hope that it generates a lot of laughs for the readers...here's the product description which encapsulates some of the insanity :-) ...

"Product Description
Wouldn't it be nice if we all held hands and pooped rainbows?

Sure, but until our world becomes a technicolor paradise, what's the REAL way for people to get happy?

Avoidance of catastrophe.

This parody of "The Book of Awesome" outlines one awful scenario after the next, to demonstrate how much worse life could really be. Whether it's a world where you finally meet your evil twin, the cancellation of Facebook, or the discovery of unicorns that forever alters society, you'll feel relieved that you're only READING about it.

For ease of comprehension, the author lends her humble experiences to several topics, and leaves no stone of embarrassment unturned (not even the one where she had head lice as a grown adult).

To cover off a vast array of concerns, the book is sectioned off into highly relevant topics for mankind:

1. Self-Image
2. World Issues
3. Life Skills
4. Food and Drink
5. Society and You
6. Alternative Lifestyles
7. Dating, Stalking and Romance

By the end, the reader won't feel "awesome", but overwhelming relief?

Highly probable.

And relief isn't all that different from happiness, is it? Let's not split hairs... "

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011 8:19:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 27, 2011 6:33:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 9:41:12 AM PDT
BorntoRead says:
Hey, my parody, ROMANCE NOVEL, has received lots of great reviews and sales were doing great, until I quit promoting.
Romance Novel

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 9:49:28 AM PDT
T. Campbell says:
I certainly hope so!

The Slacker Confessions - True Comedic Stories From My Decade of Dumb Jobs

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 3:03:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 3:03:37 AM PDT
Angry Vince says:
Check out What Makes You So Angry Vince
Many people have written insightful autobiographies and heart-rending stories of their own tragic lives, tales of heartbreak, hardship and redemption that leave the reader emotionally captivated and gasping for air. In a world full of millions seeking meaning in their own lives, these books stand out as beacons in the dark.
Angry Vince has read none of these books.
He is vaguely aware of them and, after someone explained the basic concept to him, thought that this would be an easy gig and could help pay off his Nigerian ferreting debts.
Through a collection of half-remembered episodes and gently constructed lies, Angry Vince explores what has taken him from a young boy contemplating suicide over a library book to an ex-world-traveling ex-karate instructor with a (former) drinking problem and children of his own. His careful exploration of his memories through a combination of hypnotherapy and rubber mallets have slowly revealed the bizarre events that have made him who he is today.
What Makes You So Angry Vince

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 3:55:46 AM PDT
Erick Flaig says:
Call Me Ishmael

How can you save the universe when it won't hold still?

The audience has not been enormous, but it has been responsive:

"...shows a complete lack of understanding of quantum physics and string theory..." North American Institute of Physicists and Theorists.

"...we are...not amused." Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Victoria

"Seems calculated to undermine public trust in the fairness and constitutionality of the federal tax code." IRS Home-Oriented Compliance Task Force

"Sweet mother of all conspiracy theories!!!" Name withheld

"...paints an inaccurate portrait of school bus drivers." School Bus Driver Anti-defamation League

"It is clear the author has never seen, much less held, a steam-powered style flamethrower. They are much cooler." Center for Scientific Accuracy in SteamPunk Fiction

"There is an 11.1% chance that the author has indeed discovered the last digit in pi..." Society for Rounding Numbers to Rational Numbers of Integers

"Where are the sparkly vampires?" www. facebook.com/everybookneedssparklyvampires
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Humor forum (267 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Humor forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions