Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Interior Design forum

College Kid Help!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 6, 2011 11:44:24 PM PST
C. Carter says:
Hey Guys,

This is my first post so bare with me.
Little Info on my apt. : Carpeted wall too wall, White Trim molding, Walls beige. I have a sofa/love seat and a video gaming chair with a black tv stand with a flat screen and all my electronics.

What i want: Basically I want my living room decorated. I love the japanese/modern style. I want to incorporate Anime/Video game type things into the equation. I like old school marvel (flash, greenlantern) / Afro Samaurai / etc I bought a poster (old school i know) with the thought of framing it and putting it on the wall and maybe doing more posters as such as well as picking accent items to fill out my living room.

I love HGTV type of stuff so this is def. a project i wanna take on. I want it to be modern cool not tacky cool. If the Anime/Video game design is to costly i'd like to incorporate christian elements.

My budget -- 500 dollars maybe more if you guys find some incredible ideas. Thank you once again ahead of time, if anything needs clarifying please ask!

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 11:43:34 PM PST
C. Carter says:
guess i should have made it clearer, i need wall decor ideas more than anything

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 10:08:52 AM PST
Check out drop-box-frames - some of them have the ability to layer, you cut out on design, then another to go 1/4" behind it, then another - that would be kick a$$ for the anime stuff. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2011 7:33:52 PM PST
C. Carter says:
Thank you so much, i was starting to think no one would answer and feeling even more of a geek lol, hence my late response, i def. will check it out, i just want something different that will be epic. Thanks again, it's deeply appreciated

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 7:21:05 AM PST
Rachel O says:
Not sure what area you live in but you can check to see if you have Garden Ridge, They have a lot of cool stuff, isles of everything you just described, they have a website w/store locator but no online purchase. Same for Weekend Grandview. That place is like a treasure hunt. Gabriel Brothers too. Dollar General & Family Dollar get some pretty decent looking art at time-just gotta look. I see the same designs I get there, in a little larger size at other stores & in magazines for $120 versus $6-$10! To make a bigger effect you can also get a mirror or 2 & clock and group them. I have got tons of stuff & nobody believes it came from there. Big lots gets stuff in, you just gotta check often. I have gotten amazing feedback on the stuff I have found at these discount places.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 8:47:33 AM PST
mdesigner says:
I suggest combing Flea Markets and thrift shops. I just published my book: Bohemian chic: decorating with vintage and salvage. Bohemian Chic: Decorating with Vintage and Salvage
Vintage and thrift is one of the most amazing ways in the world to find valuable art for pennies on the dollar. I have seen entire comic book collections dumped... back issues could be framed into a great wall display. I am a professional designer, but I have been shopping thrift and vintage my entire life. Not to mention, I have made some valuable finds that later I sold for much more ... :) Really, if you are on a shoestring, this is the way to go. Plus, its fun....good luck and happy hunting!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 6:36:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2011 6:37:32 AM PST
Kirnex says:
If you aren't familiar with it, DEFINITELY check out They have amazing, creative step-by-step guides (the vast majority are fully illustrated) to do everything from make your own artwork to build or alter furniture, to small-space decorating, "discarded-materials decorating", re-purposing items, etc.--as well as all sorts of things like doing repairs, cooking, you name it. You can download the guides in .pdf form, and some even come with videos. You can also post questions to the author if you have questions--most people respond pretty quickly. It's my favorite site on the internet.

As kitschy and girly as it might seem, also check out Martha Stewart's crafting and decorating sites. She has some awesome ideas for low-budget and small-space decorating--albeit, the instructions are not as well done.

For wall-decorating ideas, see my response in this post:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 9:41:44 PM PST
C. Carter says:
thank you for your reply, i'll definately give them a look if we have any locally!!

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 9:44:48 PM PST
C. Carter says:
@mdesigner, thank you very much as well!! Your book looks interesting, def will give it a look and the flea/thrift route as well.

@kirsten, thank you very much! I'm going to delve into the websit some and see if i can find anything good. Trust me i'm secure with my man hood lol i watched HGTV to get the idea in the first place so no worries, i'll def check out

@ALL, thank you so muchfor your posts!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2011 11:47:37 AM PST
Berk says:
Check out Wild Bill's Nostalgia "Home of the Strange and Unusual" you might see some cool items you can use for decorating :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 4:19:04 PM PDT
gilly8 says:
Take a look at the comments/ remarks on the post above you about moving to a new apartment and not being allowed to paint. Lots of good ideas, not too expensive either, most of them.

If you're in an apartment yourself, think about how long you'll be there, and what you can realistically take away with you. Don't spend a lot on stuff you'll end up giving away or leaving behind!

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 1:32:28 PM PDT
There is a product known as ceiling tiles sold by a company named Ceiling Tiles By Us. They offer decorative and very affordable ceiling tiles that start at $1.30 per square foot! They have the most beautiful ceiling tiles! Here's a link to some of their products . The ceiling tiles adhere to almost any ceiling surface whether it's a popcorn ceiling or emulsion,water-based, and acrylic painted ceiling. I'm not much of a
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Interior Design forum (106 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Interior Design forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions