100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > iPod forum

Internet on ipod touch 2G

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2009 10:02:25 PM PST
MoonUnit says:
I just ordered my first ipod, I bought a 8g 2G touch, I only bought the 8g because if I can fit at least 200 songs on it I will be happy.
My question is about using the Internet. Can I really check out websites using my wifi modem, as an example can I look at sites like Amazon and use the touch similarly as my laptop? Can I check my Yahoo email the same way I do on my lap top? How Internet compatible is this thing really? I wont have it for a couple days, I am just curious! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 4:30:37 AM PST
Ted in RI says:
Yes you can!!!! The iTouch is a little slower browsing and I would recommend using Google as your email/browser/everything else. Google has a browser just for mobile applications. A bit leaner than the full Google products. You're gonna love it!!! Good luck
Your reply to Ted in RI's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 11:50:46 AM PST
margyz says:
Hi - I just got the Touch 2G and I love it! it was easy to get on my home WiFi (you will need your WiFi password or the WEP key, though, to set it up innitially - I couldn;t remember where I put it so that took a bit of time - not the Touch's fault). The other day we were parked outside a Panera Bread restaurant. I was amazed how quickly the Touch picked up the free WiFi there, even in the parking lot, and I was able to receive and answer e-mail. Lots of great free apps for it, too, in iTunes. The only think I don;t like about it is that my Bose Sound Dock (about 6 months old) won't charge it. it will play but it won't charge. I have an Athena (Klipsch) speaker unit (similar to the Bose) and that works just fine to charge the Touch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2009 1:54:18 PM PST
MoonUnit says:
Thanks! I am excited to get it, it will be here monday, The feeling I have is like when I was a little kid on Christmas eve.
I am starting to second guess my decision to get the 8g model, tell me I didnt make a mistake! I will most likely be transferring a portion of my CD collection on it and would like to get the best SQ, how many Cd's will I actually be able to put on this thing? not to mention a 100 pictures or so and maybe an hour of video at a time? Thanks!

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 2:22:41 PM PST
margyz says:
MoonUnit - this is my third IPod and I like it the best! I did get the 16Gb though, because my nano 3Gb was an 8Gb and I wanted some extra space for more videos and games for Hubs. I just got the monster cables "Y" connectors and can now hook this into our stereo - the sound is really good!
Here are my current stats on the 16Gb Touch:

Still Free: 8.37 Gb

Music: 1026 Songs (4.91 Gb)
Photos: 337 (217.4 Gb)
Videos: 5

I have a ton of free apps (about 40 - mostly games) and they take up 226 Mb. Plus, I have my Outlook calendars and Contacts synced, so another 226 Mb of "Other".

I try to clear the pages out of my interent browser as I think they eat up some space, too. Hope this help you detrmine how much space you need.

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 12:19:58 PM PDT
J. Thoms says:
The internet access on the touch is nothing less than amazing for a hand held device. I find myself using my laptop less and my iPod more. You can setup multiple email accounts for the unit to check - including Yahoo, Gmail, and even Microsoft Exchange (for my job). It'll even sync contacts and calendars.

Many sites have iPhone/iPod Touch specific sites that you can use the built in browser called Safari. Or even some sites have written apps that you can download and use to read the site's content with more functionality than Safari can give you - USA Today's App is a prime example.

I think you'll find yourself using your iPod touch a lot more than you expected - I know I did.

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 7:01:34 PM PDT
F. Beard says:
I did not like it and returned it, the internet used all the power quickly, the glass is delicate. so don't drop it,its too bulky for working out and
the wifi is not reliable. You have to have cable access at home to orig set up, not just have a wifi near by. But ifyou have patience, gentle with items and plenty of time, you wll like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2009 5:26:46 AM PDT
waynedixon says:
Im at work right now and looking at my 8 gigabyte I-Pod Touch right now as Im typing....

Right Now I have :

446 Songs
3 Videos
43 Photos
52 Games/Apps I've brought from the app store.

I still have 3.7 GB's of Space Left.

And I only have the 8 GB touch version.

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 9:00:18 PM PDT
MoonUnit says:
Thanks everyone! I have had my 8g touch for about a week and it is awesome! Everything works great and was pretty easy to learn, the wireless Internet is great! I can take it outside and get online 50 yards from my modem, I'm surprised how fast it is. I have 412 songs on it and still have 5.1 GB left. I havent tried any video on it yet except YouTube but those work great. I bought 4 different cases so far and finally settled on one from SENA, it is leather and has a belt clip and flap the snaps over the screen. I have a screen protector on the face that came with one of the other cases but I dropped it (the screen protector) while putting it on so now it has dust under it, I am looking for some more but cant tell which are best (any suggestions?)
Anyway, I am MORE than pleased with it and 8 GB seems to be enough for what I will be doing.
Thanks again for your suggestions!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the iPod forum (232 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Which is better Touch 16GB or 32GB 16 Apr 11, 2014
iTunes woes 2 Jun 7, 2013
iPad 1 Feb 20, 2013
deleting books 1 Feb 20, 2013
newbie question 27 Feb 13, 2013
Downloading books 25 Nov 18, 2012
ipod help 13 Nov 9, 2012
rechargable Ipod docking station 3 Nov 21, 2011
iPod (4th gen) cable for auto aux jack with controller 4 Sep 5, 2011
what songs are on your ipod? 0 Jul 3, 2011
Does Ipod Touch 4 work with the Bose Sounddock? 12 Jun 20, 2011
ipod radio for the outdoors 2 Jun 9, 2011

This discussion

Discussion in:  iPod forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 16, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions