Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Islam forum

Ex-Muslims... Why ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 540 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2011 3:50:34 PM PST
Domenico says:
A multitude of people leave Islam due to traumatizing events and injustice inflicted on them by Muslims or by the Islamic Law.

Others never really accepted Islam to begin with - marriage, benefits, coercion, a temporary life saving decision, etc.
So they just move on...

The Ex-Muslim in this video have a very precise way of explaining his reasons;
The Islamic description of Allah is insulting to a real God he says...

Indeed impeccable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ra9QQ58b7JY

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2011 6:12:23 PM PST
TN says:
I occasionally posted on the subject of hell in the religion forums (that hell is but the common grave, and biblical support for that), but it appeared other posters turned a deaf ear to such reasoning.

Once the idea of burning hell is dismissed, we can live a peaceful life.

Something Muslims can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 4:20:02 PM PST
tn:Once the idea of burning hell is dismissed, we can live a peaceful life.
Something Muslims can't.

SA: What? Muslims can't lead a peaceful life? Are you serious?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 4:19:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2012 4:20:06 PM PST
Amen, TN. The concept of eternal torture-by-fire seems to have been nabbed from Zoroastrianism, anyway, so it was never part of an accepted "revelation" to begin with, ironically enough. Even more so is the fact that since both Christianity and Islam condemn anyone who doesn't belong to the flaming pits, the Zoroastrians who invented this sadistic idiocy are undoubtedly frying there as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 4:25:50 PM PST
Speaking of ex-Muslims, Salman Rushdie is publishing a memorial essay this month in "Vaniy Fair" in honor of Christopher Hitchens. I can't wait. Personally I didn't agree at all with his stance on the war, but in most respects Hitch was either quite right in the long run, or an outright hero. Come to think of it, should we start a thread here in his honor?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:25:16 AM PST
\\Speaking of ex-Muslims, Salman Rushdie is publishing a memorial essay this month in "Vaniy Fair" in honor of Christopher Hitchens. \\

Was he ever Muslim?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 6:06:13 PM PST
TN says:
He was BORN Muslim, so Muslims claim.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 6:14:35 PM PST
Domenico says:
;))))

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:27:01 PM PST
\\He was BORN Muslim, so Muslims claim.\\

That's the danger of being ill-informed, though you revel in it.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 10:16:12 PM PST
TN says:
Rushdie came from a Muslim family but says that he was never really religious. In 1990, in the "hope that it would reduce the threat of Muslims acting on the fatwa to kill him," he issued a statement claiming he had renewed his Muslim faith, had repudiated the attacks on Islam in his novel and was committed to working for better understanding of the religion across the world. However, Rushdie later said that he was only "pretending".[51] - Wikipedia

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 11:32:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2012 11:33:19 AM PST
Wiki "Apostasy in Islam" and you'll see a whole list of famous types -- Wesley Snipes, as I remember, among them -- who "reverted" and then dropped out. Interestingly, none of them were murdered, but it's because there are so MANY of them that it's become too much trouble. Why? I'll bet it's because Islam is such a DULL religion. It's really nothing but a unitarian version of Calvinism -- predestination, the flames of Hell, the whole bit. I have little use for the Vatican's theology, but look what they have to offer. Mozart. Palestrina. Michaelangelo. Leonardo. And what have we gotten from Islam? Cat Stevens.

Woops -- I'm beginning to sound like Orson Welles in "The Third Man."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 10:51:46 PM PST
Domenico says:
'' And what have we gotten from Islam? Cat Stevens ''

No. Yousif Islam. (career finished. money taken)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 1:45:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 1:46:17 AM PST
\\Woops -- I'm beginning to sound like Orson Welles in "The Third Man."\\

Not even remotely. And your background music is more like Lawrence Welk.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 8:51:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 8:51:56 AM PST
Well, yours is more like Cat Stevens ... er ... pardon me ... we need to be a bit more politically correct around here ... Yousif Islam. If you don't mind taking a break from your simpering contest, Bookish, I seem to have stumbled on an actual philosophical issue here -- the similarity between Islam and Calvinism. Now, none of the people here are about to start hanging witches, and the like, so we don't have much use for Calvinism. Would you mind telling us why we should think any more highly of Islam? Other than to pander to you?

In actual fact, without Bookish around, this might make a really interesting topic. Anyone want to give it a try while ignoring Bookish?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 8:10:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2012 8:10:58 AM PST
And a BTW to Bookish -- wrong generation, chum. My personal background music is "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and when that gets a bit dull I switch to Rory Gallagher's masterpiece, "I Could Have Had Religion," or maybe Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns and Money." Though only the first two have anything to do with this thread. Matter of fact I spent an evening drinking with Rory shortly after he'd turned down the chance to join the Stones. Interesting story -- which I'd bother to complete if this were another forum and if you weren't such an unpleasant human being.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 10:34:04 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 8:45:28 AM PST
Hunh? What the ---- does all THAT mean? If you're going to hand out insults, you might try making them actual insults, rather than lame simpers, and also making them relevant to the thread. Though in a way you already have. One reason so many Muslims leave is that they run into too many self-congratulatory frauds.

If you want to know how to REALLY insult someone in a religious debate, check out Hitchens, or Pat Condell videos. If you have the guts. They're far better at it than I could ever be, and so, by definition, INFINITELY better than you could ever be. Of course, I'm sure you're convinced that you're just too good to learn anything from the infidels.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 10:36:29 AM PST
Domenico says:
Pat Condell is EXTRAORDINARY ! He is ONE person army ! He accomplishes more than thousands all together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 7:48:44 PM PST
Ard Fhaidh says:
Pat Condell is EXTRAORDINARY !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 8:22:24 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 8:16:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 8:21:40 AM PST
By "What does all THAT mean?" I was clearly NOT referring to the lyrics of Jimi Hendrix, but your other remarks. Yet another example of your deliberate misreading of other people's posts, in yet another boring "snappy" comeback.

One of the biggest reasons Muslims leave Islam is that they eventually get around to actually reading the Koran, and recognizing that maybe one third is so bigoted and pathologically sadistic that it couldn't possibly have been revealed by a God who is all-merciful. Matter of fact, I was listening to a discussion of exactly this issue on NPR, when a caller, a gent from India, said that he apostasized quietly at the age of fifteen because his conscience wouldn't allow him to continue being a Muslim. Nobody knew what to say for 15 seconds or so. (And perhaps, Bookish, you should grow up as much as that young man did, rather than insulting me.)

Bertrand Russel was essentially right, Bookish. The question believers have to face is not really whether a deistic God can be proven by reason alone. It's that the "God" of the scriptures, whether Christian or Muslim, is INFINITELY good, yet hands out sentences of fiery torture, possibly ETERNAL torture, for merely finite crimes. In other words, the Judaeo-Christian concept of God is so self-contradictory it can't exist, and so repulsive it's not worth defending.

TORTURE IS JUSTICE! You've got a real problem here, like all Muslims, no matter how moderate. If God tortures people, why shouldn't WE? In other words, you can wiggle all you want, but the bullwhipping of teenage rape victims, stonings, the assassination of religious dissenters, and the maintenance of torture chambers by the Iranian government, are all true Islam, and that's because they are all far more humane than God himself.

So now that you've decided to squander your life grovelling in front of an imaginary torturer, not daring to stop because he might be real though you know he couldn't be, can you think of one reason why we should "revert?"

Hey, guys, maybe what I should do is get hold of Pat Condell myself. Maybe he could use a collaborator if he ever starts running out of jokes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 2:37:06 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 2:39:59 PM PST
\\the maintenance of torture chambers by the Iranian government, are all true Islam, and that's because they are all far more humane than God himself. \\

This is more silliness. You use fundamentalist thinking to prove your point bu it just doesn't represent religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 4:21:58 PM PST
DGS:One of the biggest reasons Muslims leave Islam is that they eventually get around to actually reading the Koran

bookish:That's about the silliest thing you've said.

SA: I do not see why. The quran gives a clear view on Gods violence, God mocking His victims, and Gods sadistic impulses (e.g. giving the people in hell fresh skins, so they can be burnt anew). So if you are not completely brain-washed into thinking 'whatever God does is well done', you of course would not want to have anything to do with such a cruel God.

And that is true even though there are a few nice thoughts in the quran as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 4:22:59 PM PST
bookish:The problem of evil can be difficult
SA: For an allmighty, allknowing and allmerciful God it is unsolvable.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Islam forum (346 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Islam forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  540
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2011
Latest post:  May 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions