Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Islam forum

Child Sex Molestation In Mosques: Lifting The Veil Of Secrecy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 190 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2012 12:22:43 PM PDT
Domenico says:
It is futile to claim that sex molestation of children does not happen in mosques.

Yet, Muslims point to the scandals within the Catholic church as if they never heard of the same filth in their own mosques.

Many, as Jawwaad, our American Muslim poster believes that sex molestation in mosques is neglijable and he feels quite entitled to demand a contest of ... articles on the subject.

Of course, his focus is on the number of such articles not on the issue itself. Why?

One of the responses given concerns the Hush-Hush element widespread within the Muslim community; Hiding the filth at ANY cost. In order to 'save face' that is... The face of the community, of the mosque/leadership and ultimately the face of Islam.

It's common knowledge that, until recently, the Catholic Church covered up such crimes. When Mosques do the same it may be logical but not common knowledge.

What is tragically different is the attitude of the Muslims towards the victims and the victims' families.
They will be coerced and/or forced to keep quiet, tormented, punished, excluded -whatever it takes to 'save face'.

So... who will ask for articles and reports of sex crimes in a Shame based society ?? And why ? To serve what particular purpose?

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:32:11 PM PDT
Domenico says:
INVESTIGATION A new charity is aiming to confront the �hush-up� culture on abuse among black and ethnic minorities.

'''ALI Khan was sitting at a meeting in a Glasgow mosque, discussing a paedophile assault in a house of God, when he realised he had to take matters into his own hands.

"Horror of horrors," says Khan over the telephone from his office in Dubai, "what was suggested was that the alleged abuser should be allowed to remain in the mosque."

The alleged paedophile saved the mosque from compromising itself by disappearing. "How do we know where he is now?" asks Khan, still distressed about the event. "The police were never involved. It was ANOTHER ONE of those hushed-up things."

Proof of this "hushing up" of the alleged abuse of children from ethnic backgrounds was what prompted Khan to set up Roshni, a new charity based in Glasgow. The word Roshni means light in Urdu, and the charity has as its motto the phrase No More Secrets.

From tomorrow, Roshni will campaign for the UK's black and ethnic minorities to confront crimes against children which are being swept under the carpet by shame, fear and silence.................

To compound Khan's belief that ethnic communities needed a wake-up call on child protection issues, a child abuse scandal broke at Glasgow's central mosque. Taher Din was jailed for a year after sexually molesting two young boys at the iconic building near the Clyde.

Din, a member of the mosque's management committee, had a previous conviction for indecent assault. The boys he assaulted were just nine and 10. The first sex attack took place during Ramadan, while leading members of the city's Asian community worshipped nearby.

During the trial, there were suggestions that officials from the mosque may have tried to cover up the attacks. The first victim told prosecutors that when Din dragged him into a toilet, another mosque official walked in. Din left the scene and the boy told his father what had happened. The father could not bring himself to believe the allegation.

The police were not informed, and eight months later a worshipper at the mosque caught Din abusing a second child. Din had lured the boy to a changing room under the pretence that they were going to play football.

A doctor, Mohammed Farooq, heard the boy shouting out and went to investigate. He reported the incident to a member of staff at the mosque, who told him not to phone the police. Farooq was told: "We know the guy, we will sort it out." The child's mother, however, alerted the authorities herself............

Roshni is also going to try to change cultural attitudes that make dealing with abuse difficult for ethnic minority families. The issues of shame and honour, says Khan, mean "children and adults find it very hard to report offences outside the community - that is borne out by the example of the mosque trying to hush up what happened".

"We come from countries with a very strong family-based culture," Khan went on, "that makes it hard for some people to report. Denouncing one family member is like denouncing the whole family. We need to change this mindset. My personal view is that I think some people believe they will be bringing shame on others if they speak out."

He spoke of people being "spurned and threatened" for daring to speak out about crimes against children.

"Our own research," Khan said, "has shown a tendency not to report abuse within religious establishments, particularly where this involves religious leaders, as a result of the shame that this can bring upon a community."................

Roshni will start to campaign to prevent adults who have been found guilty of abusing children while in a position of trust simply moving to another part of Britain and starting to work with young people again. "IT'S HAPPENED IN THE PAST. People are slipping through loopholes even if we wanted to stop them moving around," said Khan, pointing out that SIMILAR PROBLEMS faced Christian churches for many years.

Roshni is not focusing only on sexual abuse, however. "If a child wakes up every morning and gets a smack around the head, it will think that's the norm," Khan added. "In the long run, we need to ensure that all ethnic minority children feel comfortable reporting outside the community. ''

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:43:35 PM PDT
Domenico says:

Look at in how many places this pervert functioned !

Who knows where else and how many the victims ??

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:45:03 PM PDT
Domenico says:

"people looked at us as if we were dirty... spat on us..."

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:55:40 PM PDT
Domenico says:
Abdullah K.
Posted April 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Having been two years in a madrassa in a Muslim dominated part of India, I have experienced first hand some of the child abuses mentioned in this article. My teacher (Huzoor) in Hifz class used to repeatedly kick and cane us around (with full force, no less) for the slightest of errors reciting in a language that we didn't even no (and can't pronounce in the first attempt because of our accent differences). He was also a child molester, he and a fellow 15 year old favourite of his used to spend hours closeted in their bedroom. (Eventually he was caught and kicked out, but since the Madrassa and Muslim community didn't want to `tarnish the face of Islam' they didn't report him to the authorities to be legally tried). The last act of `generousity' on the part of Muslims was the first blow to my faith of Islam being a religious `better' than others. The irony is that my faith in Islam got shattered in one of the holiest places on learning about Islam - the Madrassa.

A lot of Muslims know about these incidents, but living in an `infidel' society, they are scared of opening these can of worms, lest `infidels' see Islam for being any less perfect as they try to make it.'''''''''''

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:57:01 PM PDT
Domenico says:
'''''''''''In March, 2006, it was widely reported in the UK media that up to 100,000 Muslim children studying in Britain's madrassas were at "significant risk" of physical or sexual abuse.

According to the Muslim Parliament of Great Britain, imams were not taking their duty to protect children seriously and were exposing young girls and boys to lasting damage.

It said thatFAILURE TO TACKLE THIS TABOO and implement a transparent, co-ordinated child protection scheme could leave the community open to "an avalanche of child sex-abuse scandals" similar to those of the Roman Catholic Church in the 1990s.

The MPGB reveraled that up to 40 per cent of teachers in madrassas hit or scold their children and that between 15 and 20 cases of sex abuse occur each year.'''''''''''

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 1:01:20 PM PDT
Domenico says:
Statistics from only a 'tiny' number of mosques - 10,000

''''''The time had come for his country to face the bitter truth - the sickness of child abuse, he said.

The allegations involving Pakistan's Sunni majority and Shia minority referred to a tiny proportion of the country's 10,000 or so madrassas, he said.

He added that the body responsible for them, the Federation of Madrassas, was willing to co-operate with investigations because some clerics were bringing a bad name to Islam.

However, the revelations have angered some Islamic leaders. At a parliamentary meeting this week, some demanded he apologise.

The abuse revelations were made during a week in which the Pakistani government has been meeting religious leaders to build awareness of the spread of HIV/Aids.

Pakistan is stepping up its anti-Aids campaign, and the idea is to utilise the clerics' unique reach into communities to increase HIV/Aids awareness and to preach prevention. ''''

AIDS in the land of the "pure" ??

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 1:19:27 PM PDT
Domenico says:
'''''The mosque was the house of Allah, the safest place the family knew.

Then, Sunday morning, one of the boys, a 13-year-old, called his mother, begging to be brought home. He said the imam had sexually assaulted him, police said.

"I'm still dizzy about it," the father told the St. Petersburg Times. "As Muslims, we come to the house of Allah to rid ourselves of sin we commit outside the house of Allah. We do not go to the house of Allah to sin."

Tampa police charged Yasser Mohamed Shahade, 35, with sexual battery. An Egyptian who arrived two months ago ..
[[ Imagine his habits in Egypt where hush-hush is a big thing ]]

The father knows that many Muslims would have kept this matter private.

He could have quietly moved his family to another mosque and left Shahade behind.

"Some people feel that airing your dirty laundry, the shame comes on you. No. Our family does not feel shame," he said.
"If we had let him go, he would've done it to somebody else."

The father supported bringing the imam, or prayer leader, to Tampa a year ago when the mosque was looking for a leader. The imam spoke eloquently. He had a wife and two daughters. He seemed well qualified. No one thought to check his background.

Mosque members took care of Shahade, treating him to lunches and buying him things, including a laptop computer, the father said.

Some mosques allow boys to stay overnight as a way of freeing them from family pressures and encouraging prayer.

So, for the past four weekends, the father had allowed his two sons to stay a night with Shahade at the mosque.

It was a new experience for the 13-year-old, a boy who in his spare time like to swim, ride his bike and play football.

The father said he told both boys they would sleep on their sleeping bags in the prayer hall.

But Saturday night, the boys ended up in the imam's private room at the mosque, the father later learned.

He said his son gave him this account: The boys watched television with the imam and then the imam prayed.
The imam gave the 13-year-old a glass of water.

The boy's next memory came at 6 a.m. Sunday. He awoke on the edge of the imam's bed and felt the imam on top of him, the father said. Shahade got off him and left the room, the father said.

The boy woke his younger brother, then called their mother, who told their father. The father instructed the 13-year-old not to go to the bathroom or wash. He knew physical evidence would be important. He told the boys to wait outside for him.

He consulted with a Muslim doctor and took his son to Tampa General Hospital. The hospital put him in a private room and told him to call police. The boy talked to a nurse, three detectives and a social worker. He was examined at a rape crisis center. Police arrested Shahade at the mosque.

The boy's younger brother reported that on a previous overnight visit, he felt someone tug on his underwear as he slept in the imam's bed, the father said. The young boy initially didn't tell his father. He knew his father would be upset that he had slept in the imam's room instead of on his sleeping bag, the father said.................

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 1:29:47 PM PDT
Domenico says:
''''''''''''''All of us will know many incidents of such things happening and god forbid no one reading this has or is a victim. Its quite shocking that the abusers are Imams and the abuse takes place inside the house of Allah swt.

This type of abuse has been going on for many years and the number of abusers has been increasing. The usual pattern is the abused become the abusers which is not a justification but an explanation.

Because such things happen many people have opted for women teaching girls and a private tutor teaching boys in peoples homes where the parents can monitor whats going on.

This type of abuse is very common even back home and in religious schools eg madrassas. A friend who was at a madrassa in the UK told me that some older boys raped a younger boy. Many of these sexual abuse incidents are covered up to protect the reputation of the establishment and is based on material benefits.

It is time that measures were put in place to ensure that Masjids are run correctly and the people teaching are monitored by members of the community who involve themselves in assisting the Imams.

Also when such incidents occur it is best to highlight how they are resolved Islamically and not to brush them under the carpet.''''''''''

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 5:58:38 PM PDT
bob397103 says:

See page 14 for places of abuse. Mosques.

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 6:03:51 PM PDT
bob397103 says:

////A. Who are the Molesters:

1. Victims Themselves?
Although there is a popular belief that most male molesters were victims themselves in their childhood, this assertion doesn’t hold water with scientific evidence. It may be true in some cases, but cannot be generalized for all situations. According to this research, sometimes molesters are molesters just because that is who they are.

2. Family and Friends:
In nearly all cases, the molester is either a family member or a close family acquaintance. In the case of all the victims that I have dealt with, the molesters were close relatives, including cousins, uncles, and even grandfathers, iyyadhobillah.

It is much easier for the molesters to molest their own family members or the children of close friends, than to find prey elsewhere. They are trusted by family members and friends; hence the odds of getting caught or being doubted are very low. Besides, it is easier to gain access to the child. Most of the victims who entrusted me with their horrific stories, were molested by family members who visited frequently. That is why these girls were not only repeatedly molested, but when these girls tried to confide in an elder, they wouldn’t believe them.

It must also be noted that the molester, very astutely, observes the child-parent relationship. In many cases, the victims are children who don't have a close and frank relationship with their parents (I will discuss this in more detail inshā'Allāh).

B. How and When the Molesters Attack:

1. Best time and Place:
Apparently, molesters do not need extra time or any special place to attack their prey.

Mona was a 6-7 year old, growing up in America. She was molested in the car by her maternal uncle, who was several years elder to her mother. Her uncle had taken her family shopping and had dropped them at a store while he waited in the parking lot. The little girl stayed behind with her uncle. He asked her to come sit on the front passenger seat. This little girl, without even thinking twice, jumped to the front seat, like any niece would have done. He first started touching Mona on her chest, then slipping his hands inside her shirt, and then into her trousers. He did all this, while intently staring at her, to take note of her reaction. Mona pleaded with him to stop, but he only stopped when he was satisfied. The little terrified girl ran inside the store to her family, totally in shock.

These wretched people don't even wait for a specific place or time. They attack when least expected. The time and place is so opportunistic and unlikely that even when the victims report the abuse, they are not believed.

"We just left you in the car for a few minutes, how could it have happened to you in a public parking lot. Stop making up stories about my respected brother, just to get some attention".

2. Short and Quick
As I said, they don't need extra time to attack. By choosing a family member, many matters are made easy by taking advantage of family traditions.

Mona's uncle also took advantage of the family tradition of kissing foreheads. At times a simple peck on the forehead would become a complete lip-lock, iyyadhobillah. Had she told her mother, her uncle would have just laughed it off and changed the topic.////

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 7:24:35 PM PDT
bob397103 says:

////Teacher Nabbed for Molestation
April 14, 2012

Police on Thursday arrested a teacher of Islamic religion at a state junior high school in Bulukumba, South Sulawesi, for sexual harassment of one of his own students.

The parents reported the case to the police after their daughter told them what the teacher had done to her.

The teacher tried to escape from his village after hearing police and several residents approaching, but he was caught anyway.

"We managed to arrest him in the neighboring village," Bulukumba Police chief Adj. Comr. Thamrin Nur said.

Police took the teacher away quickly because the victim's father was threatening to kill the teacher.

"We've detained him now," Thamrin said.

Police are investigating the case.////  

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 6:45:23 PM PDT
Domenico says:
Why did Jawwaad asked me to start this tread ? It was planned but still ...

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:46:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 8:47:32 PM PDT
This happened several times over the years that I lived in the middle east. The straight out abuse of children in the mosque is well known. My boys came home with many stories of students being hit with sticks etc for not pronouncing correctly or paying attention etc. No amount of arguing with my husband would convince him to let them stay away from the mosque. It was "how things are done" learn the quran no less. Yet any stranger in the street mess with the kids and he was all over that...why the difference? Because it was religious indoctrination.

The sexual abuse was rampant as well. It got to the point that parents simply would not allow their sons (as girls are not generally attending quran classes in the mosque) to go in mosque alone...not even to use the bathroom etc between prayers. Always groups of boys would go in mosque but rare to see just one. I remember that last incident that happened before I left. Two brothers were playing football and one went in the mosque bathroom to wash up...he didn't return for half an hour so his brother went looking for him...he found his brother half naked on the floor having been raped. Later it was determined he was raped by the mosque caretaker...but teachers are just as bad. Too many stories to relate here...which always made me wonder why parents insisted on sending their boys to a place that held such danger (my ex included).

Then again...I was worried about the mosque when I should have been worried about my own home.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:28:07 PM PDT
\\it was religious indoctrination.

The sexual abuse was rampant as well.\\

And you think that THAT was really Islam!?!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 3:29:28 PM PDT
I'm sorry...where in my comment did I indicate it was "islamic"...I merely said it was a common occurance.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 3:47:25 PM PDT
bob397103 says:
You have to forgive Boorish. He's stupid as Hell.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:22:34 PM PDT
TN says:
He can't face the truth either.

Posted on May 24, 2012 7:14:34 AM PDT
libloon2 says:
And for the readers: LOOK TO THE FUTURE: For Some for "Inspired' BUT "Cryptic" and "Apocapolyptic"
declamations from: Guess Hoo?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 9:31:26 PM PDT
\\He's stupid as Hell. \\

You're the expert.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 9:34:01 PM PDT
bob397103 says:
>>You're the expert.<<

I should be an expert. I've had plenty of time to study you. LOL!!!!

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:09:21 PM PDT
bob397103 says:

////Former imam of Wellingborough mosque guilty of molesting girls

By Rob Middleton
Published on Wednesday 11 July 2012 15:53

THE former imam of Wellingborough mosque has been convicted of sexually abusing two girls while privately teaching them passages of the Koran.

Abdul Marin, 41, was found unanimously guilty of seven sexual assault charges at Northampton Crown Court today having told a jury he was the victim of a conspiracy.

The imam, who resigned last year, was accused of sexually touching two girls, who cannot be named, kissing them and putting his hands inside their clothing during religious lessons.

Rebecca Herbert, prosecuting, said: "The defendant was a tutor in the Koran and from about 2007 to 2010, he visited child A's home address several times a week to tutor her in the Koran.

"During these times and at various other times, both girls mentioned to one or other of their parents that the defendant was physically affectionate with them.

"They said they did not like it and did not really want to have their lessons with him.

"During the summer of 2010, the lessons came to an end by mutual agreement, but it would seem it was due to their ages, not for reasons concerning the defendant's behaviour.

"The defendant, being an imam, was respected and highly regarded by all but you, the jury, may feel it would have been hard for these two young Muslim girls to have spelt out what was happening. Sexual matters are simply not discussed.

"The lessons finished in 2010, but things came to light because during the autumn term at school, child A watched a video about bullying and as she watched, she saw a section which talked about sexual abuse, along the lines that people should not touch you in a certain way and if they did, you were to tell someone. As a result, she spoke to one of her teachers on November 2, 2010."

When Matin was arrested he denied any sexual abuse had taken place.

Mrs Herbert added: "Child A accused the defendant of frequently putting his hand down her top and squeezing her breast area. On one occasion, she remembered he forced her to sit on his lap.

"Child B remembered when she was about seven, he touched her by putting his hand down her burka and `bits he should not supposed to touch'. She recalled it happened twice and said she knew similar things had happened to child A. She said the defendant told them not to tell anyone."

Matin, of Albert Road, Wellingborough, speaking through a Bengali interpreter, said the allegations were part of a conspiracy against him by the children's families.

He said the two girls had threatened to make up false sexual allegations against him to stop him telling their parents they were not concentrating or behaving in the religious lessons.

He added: "One (of the children) said that if you tell my father then I will say that you did this and that, that you touched us. We will go to the police and to the school.

"Then they said sorry and I thought that was the end of it.

"I was upset I teach children who could say something like that."

The jury took two-and-a-half hours' deliberation to unanimously convict him of all charges.

Adjourning sentence for reports and granting bail, Judge Michael Fowler said: "Given the breach of trust, the age of the children and the period over which it happened, there is the potential for a custodial sentence.

"Indeed, when coming back to court, he should prepare himself for custody."

The court heard the allegations had divided the Muslim community in Wellingborough and had resulted in the victims and their families being shunned at the town's mosque.////

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:11:48 AM PDT
Pastor Accused Of Molesting Girls In Soundproofed Room Arrested

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 6:45:27 PM PDT
bob397103 says:
That unbelieving swine will burn in HELL!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:58:31 PM PDT
You, the pastor, or the former imam?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Islam forum (344 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Islam forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  190
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions