Customer Discussions > Jazz Fusion forum

Jazz Fusion BassPLayers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2010 12:45:27 PM PDT
Joseph Patrick Moore's 8th CD titled "To Africa With Love" will be released on May 11th, 2010.

Check out the release on Amazon:To Africa With Love

Joseph Patrick Moore hits a grand slam with his 8th genre-bending, funk infused solo dedication to Africa.

Posted on May 5, 2010 1:17:22 PM PDT
Heres a few i like,,,Sean Malone,Percy Jones,Tony Levin,Jeff Berlin,Leland Syklar,Hansford Rowe,Pekka Pohjola and the up and coming and hot Tal Wilkenfeld!

Posted on May 5, 2010 9:01:01 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
@Russel> I'm pretty sure this thread is basically spam, but that doesn't mean we can't hijack it!
Don't forget Jaco!
And I agree about Tal, she's a great breas...er...bass player, I mean....

Posted on May 6, 2010 10:49:23 AM PDT
funkle0 says:
"And I agree about Tal, she's a great breas...er...bass player, I mean...." Whoa! Easy there! Lets focus on her great bASS :)

True dat, we can hijack it.

Here's my list of current fusion bass monsters:

Garry Willis - Tribal tech, solo realeases and Uncle Moe's Space ranch

Jimmy Johnson - Mike Landau, Holdsworth and many impromptu gigs at the Baked Potato, like the 1st Call Allstars

Jimmy Haslip - Jing Chi, Holdsworth and many others

Matt Garrison - side man on a lot of solo fusion recordings. Alex Machasec, David Hines

Victor Wooten - VTT albums and solo efforts

Will Lee - David Letterman Band, Oz Noy, Dean Brown, Breckers, regular East Coast gigs and probably a million albums.

Posted on May 6, 2010 9:54:23 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
@Sven>
"Lets focus on her great bASS"
Good call. I'll bet it's set up just right for slappin'.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Will Lee is an interesting choice! He also plays in a Beatles cover band, I think. If you're gonna be a member of one of those TV bands you gotta be versatile, especially with a music encyclopedia like Paul as musical director,"It's Raining Men" notwithstanding:)

Posted on May 7, 2010 10:51:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 8:34:46 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2010 11:00:59 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
@Million> Learning to play Jaco's stuff on the bass just isn't enough of a challenge, eh?
Maybe I'll try to learn "Teen Town" on the Oud!

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 11:55:10 AM PDT
Will Lee's Beatles tribute band is call the "Fab Faux". They're awesome.
No love for Stanley Clarke? His electric and upright playing on Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior" is unreal.
Also Abraham Laboriel Sr. has techniques that no one else encompasses in their playing.

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 5:44:33 PM PDT
funkle0 says:
"Also Abraham Laboriel Sr" True Dat! I love Abe in the Jazz Minestry/Dyno 4 ensamble (the other members of that band aren't too shabby either)

Stanley was the man. He's been kind of a disappointment since, well, the 70s IMHO. Yes, we know you can play the upright... yes we know you can play straight ahead... now slap that puppy like you used to! And then Four-Play?!?! Yuk

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 8:17:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 8:36:12 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 9:13:40 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
Speaking of great Motown bass players...
Whatever people say about his effect on 'Million Dollar Legs', I think the R&B background of Tony Newton had a very positive impact on 'Believe It!'.
He grounded the songs and established the pocket, freeing Tony Williams to do his rubato free-rock thing(like only he could)!

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 9:23:48 PM PDT
funkle0 says:
One of my favorite Clark songs was Play the Bass from Time Exposure. And then the title track with Jeff Beck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIshmOWz18

One guy I hear a lot of bass players mention is Rocco Prestia from Tower of Power. He is famous for his driving 16th note style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5txk-Y9EM&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 9:54:40 PM PDT
Antinomus says:
What I find interesting about Clarke's playing on "Romantic Warrior" is that he often seems to be playing a less orchestrated role than others in the group. A lot of that album sounds very arranged, more prog-like than jazz, but the bass is very lively and off-the-cuff sounding.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2010 11:47:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2010 11:48:36 PM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Ha haaaaa ....
Tal Wilkenfeld ... wow ... it's great, when you're watching that Beck performance, and she nails a part, that cute little pout she does with her bottom lip. Beck's a marketing genius, having her there!

By the way, halfdim7, you're right about Will Lee; he plays (and sings) in The Fab Faux. I saw these guys live (and heard them when they were on Howard Stern's radio show about 5-6 years ago, his last year on terrestrial radio). They absolutely nail the parts. If you are even a casual Beatles fan (if that's possible), and you have the chance, check them out!! Sgt Pepper says that's an order!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 5:20:52 AM PDT
Antinomus says:
Greetings, Jersey.
Tal...
It's rare when marketability coincides with actual skill, she's a keeper!
Maybe El Becko is finally getting over his chronic anti-fame.
Then again, judging by his comments about Joss Stone in GuitarPlayer, he may just be a dirty old man ;)

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 9:42:58 AM PDT
AW says:
We shouldn't forget Michael Henderson. He was awesome during Miles' electric period! Paul Jackson, Alphonso Johnson, Eberhard Weber, Percy Jones, Miroslav Vitous, Victor Bailey, Fernando Saunders, and Tony Levin have to be included in the discussion too!

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 9:43:21 AM PDT
AW says:
We shouldn't forget Michael Henderson. He was awesome during Miles' electric period! Paul Jackson, Alphonso Johnson, Eberhard Weber, Percy Jones, Miroslav Vitous, Victor Bailey, Fernando Saunders, and Tony Levin have to be included in the discussion too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz Fusion forum (26 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz Fusion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  May 5, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions