Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

you've opened a new jazz club in your city

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2012 10:02:46 AM PST
This forum is dying. The only thread that gets consistent activity is the one where we tell others what we happen to be listening to at the moment. As someone has remarked, "So what?" (not to be confused with the Miles Davis tune).

We used to have lively discussions, even arguments and fights. Insults flew around the forum. What fun! Even the return of the sock puppet would be better than the drab postings of the last few weeks.

So, in an attempt to generate some interesting discussions, I've started this thread. Here is the premise:

1. You've just opened a new jazz club in your city.
2. You are the person responsible for booking artists into the club.
3. You have an unlimited budget, so you don't care whether anyone shows up to hear the music, except for yourself. There will be no cover and no minimum.
4. The club has a great bar and wonderful food.
5. The size of the club is sufficient to book large groups if you wish to do so, but is intimate and accoustics are good enough for solo performances as well.
6. The sound system is superb, and you record live performances for future release.

So, what are the first three groups you would book into your club and why. Please limit your entry to no more than THREE GROUPS. They need not be working bands, but all musicians must be currently alive and performing activitely.

If you can cite some recordings that would indicate why you picked these groups, that would be so much the better.

Thanks for your participation. Feedback on your selections from others on this forum is encouraged.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 11:04:38 AM PST
PGM says:
Andy Summers from the Police.
Some of the most original guitar work and compositions since Holdsworth.
Checkout The Last Dance of Mr. X

Steps Ahead with the original members (unfortunately Michael Brecker can't be included)
Checkout their first album.

Bill Bruford with the first lineup of the band (Holdsworth ,Jeff Berlin,John Goodsall,Dave Stewart).
Checkout Feels Good to Me

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 6:51:22 AM PST
Simon says:
Quite true that the forum has a dangerously low pulse. The bickering of old was often annoying, but a least something was going on.
For this thread (and my jazz club), I'll invite the Jason Moran Trio with special guest Archie Shepp !

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 8:33:00 AM PST
mac says:
Mose Allison playing piano and singing on Thursday Night.
Dave Leibman with John Abercrombie and Jeff Williams and Frank Tusa on Friday Night. ("Lookout Farm" is terrific)
Ornette Coleman (not sure who he'll bring) on Saturday Night (great albums include "Twins" and "Dancing in Your Head")
Your reply to mac's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 11:08:48 AM PST
Bickering doesn't stimulate me, it just makes me tired. I like the new and improved peaceful Jazz Forum.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 11:25:51 AM PST
I think it's the time of the year. My contribution to this thread in the words of Mose Allison

" If I had a million bucks
I'd just sit back and relax,
buy myself a nightclub
and write it off my income tax"

You can substitute Jazz Club for Night Club

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 12:47:26 PM PST
Here for the music:

I agree with you. The bickering was downright annoying. But I also agree with Simon about the pulse, and frequency of posts, being very low now. We used to have some stimulating discussions. A lot of back and forth about the merits of certain artists and genres. Lately, nothing seems to have been happening.

As to my own selections for the jazz club:

First week: During the centennnial of the birth of Coleman Hawkins, Lew Tabackin and Randy Brecker, plus a rhythm section I don't recall, performed at Birdland, featuring the music associated with Hawkins. It was a great gig, and I wished the music had been recorded. I'd love to hear that group again. Lew and Randy have played together many times over the years and are good friends. Unfortunately, the only recordings by them currently available are three tracks on Lew's album, "Tenority."

Second week: The Kenny Barron trio with Ray Drummond and Ben Riley. This is a wonderful trio. We've had the opportunity to hear them live on several occasions. They have several albums available.

Third week: The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. This is just pure musical fun. Great drive and spirit. We heard them live in New Orleans last January, and had a ball.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 1:12:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 3:42:48 PM PST
Nitya says:
Susan, great idea for a thread!

First week: Jon Hassell with the last group of musicians he toured the euro jazz fests:

Jon Hassell - trumpet, efx, keyboards
Eivind Aarset - guitar, efx
Jan Bang - loops live remixing, musicial magic
Kheir Eddine M'Kachiche - violin, efx

Second Week - Nils Petter Molvaer Group

Nils Petter Molvaer - Trumpet, efx
Stian Westerhus - guitar, efx
Erland Dahlen - percussion

Third Week - marilyn Mazur Group

Marilyn Mazur - drums, percussion, voice
John Taylor - piano
Josefine Cronholm - voice
Anders Jormin - double-bass

Edit: Why? Because I have seen these musicians (most of them anyway) play live and would like to share the experience. Each one of these groups is V-E-R-Y concerned with not only delivering a great performance but also SOUNDING excellent.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 3:28:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 3:29:43 AM PST
Ali Haluk says:
hi there,

the first week in the club our guest could be a piano trio to attract more audience. brad mehldau trio works well, although my personel preference would be aaron goldberg, frank kimbrough or marc copland trio :)

second week, a larger ensemble would keep the momentum. dave holland quintet with chris potter, kenny wheeler and robin eubanks work well, although my personal preference would be charles lloyd quartet, dave douglas brass band, steve coleman's elements or any of greg osby bands:)

anyway, last week, we're free and destined to loose some of our "loyal" audiences! william parker gathers a new large band with tim berne, rudresh mahanthappa, marty ehrlich, ned rothenberg, tony malaby, ray anderson, herb robertson, dennis gonzalez, ralp alessi, marilyn crispell, james emery and gerry hemingway... they come and just improvise... if he's not so busy, anthony braxton could conduct them :)

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 7:12:39 AM PST
R. K. Hunter says:
Nobody's gonna like this but here go's

These three people, first for sheer musicality, a never ending "Sound of Surprise". Sonny Rollins. Second for poetic mastery and an inability to stop railing against the stupidity of this world, Bob Dylan and Levon Helm's band, he's swing never stops.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 11:41:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 11:43:08 AM PST
Mr. P says:
Susan,

Props 4 the thread....I hear u. These things do come in waves tho as u know. One minute u got interesting chat, anotha bickering fools and then the mundane....[and thats just my posts!!]

Sometimes its stimulating 2 have deep discussions....otha times it feels good just 2 cruise along in the convertible 2 all the Jazz sounds peeps sharing on these threads.

But ....the sock puppet!? Lol! careful what u wish 4!!!

Do really like the vibe of your thread....if only I could own and run a Jazz club! But the 3 Group/Artist rule is gonna be real difficult...and thought provoking....so Imma gonna have 2 go way and come back after these messages......

Peace. Mr. P

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 12:52:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 12:55:23 PM PST
R.K.,

I, for one, think your choices are great. Rollins is maybe the only remaining "giant" from the bebop era. Dylan is a wonderful choice. I just missed him when I was at the University of Minnesota and he had moved on to New York. I knew many of his associates from his Minnesota days and still love their music. I am not familiar with Levon Helm, but based on your comments will have to check him out. (On second thought, a quick Google check tells me that Helm is not really my kind of music.)

Count me in for a reservation at your jazz club, but maybe I'll skip the third act.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 1:26:56 PM PST
R. K. Hunter says:
You and your special other would be more than welcome... Starting Friday the 17th here in England ,our TV channel BBC 4 is having a Jazz Weekend Starting off with two new documentaries on Sonny Rollins, One will be on his Eightieth Birthday Concert that included Ornette and Roy Haynes and lots of guests. And one will be about the sixty's and seventy's including recordings from appearances at Ronnie Scotts club when he had Massuo and Rufus Harley with him in I think '72' , followed by a program on Ronnie Scotts club itself and a documentary on how important 1958/9 was in jazz. as yet I do know what is on on Saturday or Sunday as the TV mags for that are not available yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:06:47 PM PST
C. Stevens says:
You know opening a jazz club where I live would be great. I just don't know if the people would like it. The city doesn't have as much class as it used to.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 11:33:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 11:39:02 PM PST
Alfie Cooke says:
Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton, William Parker and Hamid Drake

Smith's early albums (on the Kabell box set) are excellent, Anthony Braxton, despite the size of his discography, has rarely recorded anything that wasn't worth a listen and the Parker/Drake rhythm section is probably the most in-tune pairing you're likely to come across

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 3:48:12 AM PST
Down to the bone. their music is almost like a funky jam session.

Ken Ford. his rendition of moments in love by art of noise blew me away the 1st time i heard it.

Urban knights. if you've ever heard their version of sweet home chicago,you'd understand

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:50:36 AM PST
their r so many great artists that its a shame not more younger people r listening to jazz.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:52:38 AM PST
Susan,

Thanks for caring enough to stir things up. But I gotta say as much as I like lively discussion I do not miss the sock puppet. Other than that you're the best. I hope this thread serves to get some of those folks who have resorted to lurking back into the discussion. I'll post mt comment after I've had a chance to think about it a bit.

PS: Do you know that Levon Helm is the drummer for The Band? Dylan's back up band at various points in his career. Bet you'd take him in that context ,Huh?!?

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 11:54:00 AM PST
Jeffery,

I was kidding about the sock puppet - figured you'd know that from my past history with him. I just like some lively discussion and good ideas about jazz, plus introduction to some new artists. As to Levon Helm, what I listened to online sounded suspiciously like country music, which is definitely not my preferred genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 1:18:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 1:18:42 PM PST
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Susan D. Ward, When Levon plays his shows "Midnight Rambles" because he has a brass trio you get a Country Swing feel to things. and thats the only type of country I like or bother with, i have a fair sized collection of Bob Wills and others from the main recordings of Country swing, some of Bob Wills band have played with Woody Herman and others and really had a Jazz edge to their playing, Two of Bob Wills musical Hero's were Ellington and Basie. there is no official record of them meeting, but they used the same studio as Ellington some times when recording in the fifty's in California, missing each other by a day or two some times.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 1:56:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 1:57:26 PM PST
R.K.

We have a recording by a group called Asleep At The Wheel which plays country swing. It's OK, but I just prefer more straight ahead jazz. The leader of the group mentions Bob Wills as a big influence.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 2:32:13 PM PST
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Susan D. Ward, just done a quick look over at the shelf the Bob Wills and others are on and there are about 24 cd's so just under 1 % of my collection is Country Swing. Although there is another in the Bob Wills set in a series I am collecting and hope to get this year some time I do not think the Country side of my collection will grow much, all the other stuff is to maudlin, for me. the only one I ever see on tv when she is over here is Dolly Parton because she has a sense of humour and can act, I like the way that she does not take her "Two Friends" seriously as well.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 4:16:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 4:30:51 PM PST
Ms. 90 says:
Christian Scott - Anthem/Litany Against Fear
Robert Glasper - Double Booked/Open Mind
The Bad Plus - Give/And Here We Test Our Powers Of Observation
These are the artists I'm into right now and these are the first CDs that hooked me. Each artist would have to close their show with my favorite song, which I've listed.

Posted on Feb 10, 2012 8:23:09 AM PST
willm says:
A new 'jazz' club opened in my town recently,but you probably wouldn't recognize the names of the artists who're playing there.
'Jazz' is alive, but this forum isn't.No point in reading,much less 'lurking'(are you paranoid? :-) I'd suggest reading,Paris Translantic,Point Of Departure,Touching Extremes,etc.If you're interest in jazz is confined to a specific era,or limited options,that's fine,but what's the point in reading variations of the same posts,over and over? 10-4

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 9:42:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 6:51:12 AM PST
Mr. P says:
Hey Ms.90,

Long time....good 2 read u.

Welcome 2 Mr. P's Jazz Club!

[shivs, blades and straps 2 be handed over please and put in the manager's safe.]

The lighting is real low, the first drink is complimentary....take a seat at a table, at the bar....just chill and enjoy the show....

There is no dress code. But my club would have a strict real Jazz code. Instrumentalists: So NO 'elitist seasoned art crowd wannabes' noodling some watered down psuedo-classical mess , boring the crowd with how many notes they can play in a bar that they think passes 4 Jazz. Vocalists: And NO cheezy anaemic pop acts allowed in my club ....NO Madeleine Peyroux, Harry Connick Jr, Diana Krall type mess!

Gotta be.....artists who live, breath and enter the music, that, like the classic artists, remind u why it actually is u need this music......and what it should really sound like.....the artists gotta be the Truth!

Roy Hargrove quartet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKnu34U_9Hg

- There's a reason why this cat been annointed by everyone from the old skool [Rollins, Turrentine, Fathead Newman, David Murray etc.] to the nu skool [Dianne Reeves, Erykah badu, Cassandra Wilson, D'Angelo etc.]

His gift for interpreting standards, Jazz classics and his own moving original compositions in a classic 50's early 60's Cool style, yet timeless and yet wholly individual way makes Hargrove head and shoulders above his peers as an instrumentalist [trumpet, Fugel Horn], writer arranger, band leader. He also has a gift for picking band members who are obviously gifted and distinctive without being cliched. His natural gift at various styles: Be Bop [which I could well do without personally but for variety and audience its there], Swing, Afro Cuban Jazz, Blues, Gospel [and of course he has his RH Factor Jazz Fusion music as an option as well as being a sideman/backing band of choice for vocalists] & his moving soulful ballads. His skills at either playing the ish outta his horn one minute and then producing that unique, instantly recognisable honey-sweet phrasing and sound means its a given he on the bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwW6OK7lzQ

Lizz Wright and band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQN7oHHiyAU

- Again another classisit in style this young lady has one of the most instantly recognisable and uniquely haunting voices in Jazz and Gospel today. Rightfully and continually praised as the cream of the new breed of vocalists by DownBeat, JazzWise etc....it takes just a listen 2 her vocalese on both original compositions, standards or covers [from Coltrane 2 Simone] to realize u are in the presence of a truly great artist that can be spoken of in the same sentence as the original Jazz divas [Simone, Ella, Carter, Sassy, Flack, Holiday, Etta.] And yet she avoids all tired cliches and is not afraid of taking a less travelled road in interpretation. This woman can swing like a clock or bring a tear 2 a glass eye with a wholly original sound. Lizz Wright is The Truth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOPPv6GE7k

Dianne Reeves & Her Trio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZBJsi56L4

As above Dianne Reeves breathes new life and soul into Jazz. Another artist who can be spoken of in the same reverence as the great Jazz vocalists [and of course why George Clooney chose her as the featured vocalist in his classic movie 'Good Night & Good Luck.'] Her souful vocalese is never a showy or grandstanding thing....its a natural extension of her art. And yet, particulary live Ms Reeves can blow a range most so-called Jazz singers can only dream of. From gutteral raw 2 peircing falsetto. An artist who also often incorporates spoken word/Jazzoetry [a Jazz tradition] and like Lizz Wright, Oscar Brown Jr, Doinald Byrd, Ray Charles & Nina Simone highlights Jazz's Gospel and African Folk roots with some material in each show. At one and the same time a classisist and an improviser who by her vocals, arrangements and inspired song choices moves the audience to the core.....and like the above artists makes Jazz sound relevant and cool again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MG4QW9m_c

Of course I'd argue that I'd rotate bookings and at some point have on the bill....as well as those classic Jazz artists who are still with us [David Murray Black Saint Quartet, Ron Carter, Marlena Shaw, etc.]; more of the contemporary and new breed [James Carter, Casssandra Wilson, Terence Blanchard, Ledisi, Ambrose Akinmusre, Trombone Shorty, Esperanza Spalding etc.] to the bill in future.

I'd also have the tradition of Spoken Word/Jazzoetry artists [Ursula Rucker, Saul Williams etc.] as the 'warm up' with or without accompanment.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSYmj-w5NI

....its my club!

Wassup....good evening.....are u on the guest list!?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
New Avant Garde Jazz Musicians of the 21st Century 6 22 hours ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part III 1626 1 day ago
Desert Island Albums 717 1 day ago
WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO? 531 5 days ago
Never Heard Of Jazz Players 177 5 days ago
New album alert 199 11 days ago
YouTubes 287 Mar 30, 2016
New Album "Episodes" 1 Mar 26, 2016
Avant Garde Jazz 2420 Mar 23, 2016
What's on Order? 461 Mar 8, 2016
5x5 Favorites -- Who do you listen to most? 17 Feb 29, 2016
Nardis 6 Feb 27, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions