Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

What About Jazz Since 67?

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9451-9475 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 7:58:41 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Daniel M. Brenashan, very well put.ray

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 8:01:50 AM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoEHwZIcW-U
It's a clip from ''Putney Swope''. You wont miss anything if you skip to 1 minute in. Do stay to the end, though.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 8:04:11 AM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynzIevOJmGQ&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 8:06:11 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Thanks, Ray,

This stuff is difficult to explain clearly, because what is conveyed are feelings that really can't be accurately translated into words. The words we use are only approximations. Sometimes it would be easier to try to describe an LSD trip. But these words are at least available in common usage which helps us to communicate things which are, to a degree mystical, or at least beyond our capability to accurately describe with words.

-Dan

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 8:14:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010 8:17:13 AM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
Ok ok. So I'm stepping out of jazz into film. Here's some tie in action. Listen to Mr C in this interview. He is speaking of art and culture in the USA in very general terms. His track record in the choice of soundtrack musics is quite respectable. Look at his energy and passion. THAT is what I am looking for in the world of jazz. It can be subtle but it is either there or not. If you haven't seen ''Husbands'', I cannot recommend any film but that, If I were to only choose one, although it's not my favorite film. It is completely improvised over a basic plotline.
Wynton looks like he doesn't know how to get excited like Mr C did .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePptcNqXRJA

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 10:32:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 4, 2010 10:40:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 10:36:11 AM PDT
Dan:

Jean Cocteau had a line in "Last Testament of Orpheus" where he defined a poet as "someone who uses words to describe that which can't be put into words". You did a good job doing just that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 10:47:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010 10:48:33 AM PDT
L.T:

That was a great you tube clip on John Cassavetes. Man, that guy had charisma dripping from his pores. That was probably why all those actors spent all those years taking that wild, fun ride that was spent in making his films. About a month ago I watched a four hour documentary on Cassavetes and it was quite revealing. His films always seemed to me kind of like group therapy for actors, but in character and in front of a camera. I love a quote from him where he said "_ _ _ _ GROUPS! I hate groups! When I talk to someone I don't want to talk to a woman or a caucasian, or whatever - I want to talk to Julie".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 2:53:32 PM PDT
Dear DAN
Thanks --.I am good with the explanation .it`s as acceptable as any I have heard.
LATER==================Charlie

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 11:11:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010 11:24:52 PM PDT
LT,

re:The Cassavetes rant ( I mean that in the best way) . Thanks for that.

Lots going on. We're anticipating a move to Hawaii (Big Island ,Kona if you were wondering) the end of the month and making preparations for that. We have thought of making a return someday since leaving there in '94. This is that day. Not to retire, mind you, but to find work and with a view to spending the rest of out lives there. Pulling up the roots in Durango and shaking off the rich dirt here from those roots is hard as would be anywhere when you have lived for 16 + years. Friends ,Sherry's family, 2 of our kids are here in town, 3 grandkids, the radio show, the list goes on... It's exciting/scary with a tinge of sadness. Feeling the adrenaline rise up for the challenge ahead is exciting. Real adventure, at any stage in life, is a gift we give ourselves isn't it? The next few weeks will be a blur of activity, packing stuff to move ,deciding what is worth putting on the pallet for the trip over, and what will have to be sold or dispersed of in some other way. Getting ready for this next chapter...

Put on Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet, YEAR OF THE ELEPHANT (2002 Pi Recordings) tonight with Malachi Favors Maghostut-bass Jack DeJohnnette-drums and Anthony Davis on piano .The music on YOTE cut a familiar profile. A cross polination of the ancient and the new. That ancient AEC thing that Favors brings, intermingled with the 60s (and later) kind of playing Smith brings.

The song titles give an inkling of the broad swath the music cuts, music that makes nonsense of time in a physical sense though the music itself is not full-on free ranging stuff or extreme AG for the most part. Smith and Favors are the stars literally and figuratively to my ears, Smith's trumpet is the bright one (with a blue hue) and Favors bass the dark one, his plucking sounds like the last note of the echo of thunder.Both when it is close and powerful and distant and subtle. Davis and Jack D are no doormats here and indeed do some wonderful playing as well { Note: song - 4 Kangaroo's Hollow is a duet bet. Smith and Davis}. But these 2 do most of the storytelling. GOOD Good Stuff.

1. Al-Madinah 10:01
2. Piru 10:52
3. The Zamzam Well a Stream of a Pure Light 8:56
4. Kangaroo's Hollow 7:06
5. The Year of the Elephant 9:19
6. Miles Star in 3 parts: I-II) Star/Seed, III) Blue Fire 14:17

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 11:23:40 PM PDT
Good onya Dan Bresnahan. Thanks for that illuminating thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 12:40:35 PM PDT
Jeffery:

Thats very exciting that you're moving to Kona. I've never been to the big island so I'm not directly familiar with it - I'm sure its gorgeous. They DO have the internet there, I hope. I'm only kidding. Just because they have human sacrifice and stone idols doesn't mean they aren't computer savy. Our president, afterall, comes from Hawaii - or if you were to believe some of our knowledgable mainland citizens, Kenya, which I guess is close enough - no reason to be too fussy around facts. I love snorkeling and tropical life so it sounds to me like your move is worth all the turbulence involved in moving - especially all those cds.

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 12:49:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2010 12:52:54 PM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2009/05/alix-combelle-first-french-black-jazz.html
I never heard of this guy before. There are a whole bunch of names I've never heard of. hmmmmmm
Time to research. Should we split it up?
oops wrong forum.
But I like this group. I choose to dole things out here, with no regard for the forum title, or any rules, implied or otherwise.
:D
I only have one tattoo; a dandelion. Get it?
''Git the hell off my lawn!!''

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 1:02:18 PM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsfLnY2cJlA&feature=related
She sings sweetly and effortlessly. I thinks I like .

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 10:08:21 PM PDT
LT,

re: forum title, or any rules, implied or otherwise

Don't concern yourself with that. We'll find our way back eventually.

As far as having heard of Alix Combelle, you are my conduit to that era, believe me I haven't heard of him. Hahahaha!

Nope. Don't get it LT. I lost my sense of humor with the lobotomy.

Joel,

The Prez's critics (the ones with tea bags hanging from their sun hats anyway) think he was born in Konya.

I'm sizing down the cd and lp inventory, ditto on books and magazines; to more managable size. As far as the Big Island goes I have been once, so this will all be new.We lived in Kauai before. I put the choice in Sherry's hands and that's what she wants, the Big Island. Better Public Schools for the G-son, and according to my oldest son who was just there. Some of the greatest snorkeling they have experienced in the Islands. I know what he experienced in Kauai so that it will be exciting to see what gives in tht regard. That place ( Hawaii in general) felt like home in pretty short order when we last lived there; whereas Durango took years to get comfortable in.

PS: They do have internet there too. Nope no human sacrifice . They stopped that in 1997 - 1998 or so, I believe. I'll have to check.

Sorry for the lack of Jazz content. Sue me. Hahahaha!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 11:09:46 PM PDT
Jeffery:

Yeah, I snorkeled in Kauai (the lagoons in Konya are all filled with tea so I avoided those). I had a wonderful time - gorgeous. Bora Bora was beautiful too, but each place is unique. All this talk of paradise on earth brings certain musical experiences to mind. Have you ever heard Duke Ellington's "Far East Suite"? No one could paint a picture quite like Duke and his right-hand man, Billy Strayhorn. Below are a couple of links to examples of the music from that suite. The first is a very unusual live film of a featured Harry Carney solo - what a SOUND on baritone. The second is the original master of "Isfahan", where you can hear Johnny Hodges contemplating from within a Persian garden, surrounded by pomegranates and beautiful virgins. The last part I added - you can picture anything you want ... maybe Kona.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVtNIS0jFmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuRhdxnPCJ4&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 6:02:39 AM PDT
M. Murphy says:
Joel that is my FAVORITE Duke cd. Thats the one that got me into him. He "captures" far away lands as he captured New Orleans in latter years in my second favorite Duke cd The New Orleans Suite. You can "smell" Bourbon Street.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 6:08:47 AM PDT
LT,

re: Maxine Sullivan

She's a gem.

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 6:38:14 AM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6s2IrXiJdc
Have a nice day all !!

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 6:39:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 6, 2010 6:40:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 6:41:28 AM PDT
LIZARDTWINS says:
That is my favorite Duke as well. I just agreed with M. Murphy. It's gonna be a sunshiny day !! 8D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 7:43:41 AM PDT
Murph:

Have you heard Duke's "Afro-Bossa Suite"? That is also a fantastic work that takes you to another land.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 9:38:56 AM PDT
M. Murphy says:
Joel I have not. I'll check it out though. Thanks!
On a smaller scale I also enjoy Dave Brubeck's Jazz Impressions of Japan[great!] and Jazz Impressions of Eurasia[good] which try to capture forign land jazz themes with much sucess. Maybe I have a thing for these "travel themes". Never was much of a Crosby/Hope/Lamour fan though lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 10:00:30 AM PDT
Murph:

Yeah, I enjoy those Brubeck recordings, too. You definitely will love Duke's "Afro-Bossa Suite" if you're into his "Far East Suite". After that there is the beautiful "The Queen's Suite", which is shorter but has some classic stuff on it. Also, "The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse" is very cool. Duke made the most of all that traveling he did over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 10:45:55 AM PDT
For anyone interested in an extremely brilliant and well-written article on mortality (and not without humor) - below is a link to an article written by author and prominent athiest, Christopher Hitchens. Over the last couple of months he has been diagnosed with an extremely life threatening cancer - he's undergoing chemotherapy and attempting to survive. His book "God Is Not Great" is a very intelligent, passionate and hilarious read. No music here except the music of language from an independent thinker.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/09/hitchens-201009
Discussion locked

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  217
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 28, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions