Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Blogs and blogging.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2011 7:12:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011 7:16:02 AM PDT
Okay. Just came straight here from posting on the thread about books.
Quite simply, the world of traditional publishing and the profits arising therefrom is gradually being eroded by bloggers and people who self publish on the web. Whilst I do not, as a general rule, like lists, I am going to list a few blogs from the many thousands out there that I have found interesting and that I refer to when I have the time. Not all are specifically focused on jazz. I'm pretty sure that some of you will have your favourite blogs, too and it will be interesting for me to learn what those are. So, here goes:-
(1) www.jazzwax.com
(2) www.jazz.com
(3) www.creatiquity.com
(4) www.aquariumdrunkard.com
(5) www.casavaldezstudios.com
(6) www. oneworkingmusician.com
And especially for Tom and other seekers after the truth www.freejazz-stef.blogspot.com and www.destination-out.com
When one digs into the meat of some of these blogs, one has to wonder where the bloggers find the time to pull together all the content. Somehow, they do! In some of them there is music that one can download for free and that cannot be bad, can it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 8:20:23 AM PDT
Spartacus says:
Great post Mr. P.C.

I tried to start a blog about a year ago, and since have had only the time to post one page!

I particularly like www.freejazz-stef.blogspot.com and www.destination-out.com- extremely knowledgeable and in superlative taste.

These bloggers do a great service to jazz by generating publicity that can incite interest and even generate some revenue for the musicians by promoting album sales.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 8:40:45 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi P.Campbell, thanks for the work, and Sparticus.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 5:04:16 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Jazz (Jazzers Jazzing) - http://jazzjazzersjazzing.blogspot.com/

One of you guys may have posted this one in another thread. Anyway i bookmarked it and find it interesting.

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 4:48:12 PM PDT
http://jazzuality.com is a blog written by an Indian friend of mine and focuses on the Asian jazz scene. Currently, there is a preview of the forthcoming Borneo Jazz Festival. For anyone wanting to know more about what is happening out East, then this is the place to look.

Posted on May 2, 2011 5:28:33 PM PDT
For anyone wanting to keep abreast of what is happening jazz wise in the U.K., check out www.londonjazz.blogspot.com.This site won some sort of jazz award, I seem to remember. Really good content if you have a yen for knowing what is going on in Blighty.

Posted on May 11, 2011 9:43:46 PM PDT
Not too many posts on this thread to date. I'm surprised! I thought that there would be more of the contributors to this forum who were blog freaks like me. Anyway for what it's worth, I'll post occasionally informing all about the blogs that I continually log on to. One of those is www.chipboaz.com/blog. This is an extremely well written and informative blog about Latin jazz which I know ar least a few of you are into. Enjoy.

Posted on May 14, 2011 2:29:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2011 2:31:00 AM PDT
www.jazzties.blogspot.com is also worth checking out. It carries a great deal of product advertising, much of which is aimed at jazz musicians and jazz people but there is some good content, too, from time to time.

Posted on May 14, 2011 7:39:45 AM PDT
Peter
I see a lot of blogs being mentioned on other threads related to the subject of the thread. Maybe we should repeat the blogs here so this will be like a kind of "blog search engine".

Posted on May 14, 2011 1:35:13 PM PDT
Could do, Tom. But, I'm too lazy to trawl all the posts to locate them even with the help of the Amazon search engine.

Posted on May 19, 2011 1:56:31 PM PDT
Try www.bebopwinorip.blogspot.com.

Posted on May 23, 2011 10:29:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 10:29:51 AM PDT
http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com is a quite fascinating blog with lots of well researched info cropping up therein. Again, I have to express surprise that, apparently, not to many posters to these threads are into blogs. For me, they are a source of lots of information that I would never noramlly come across. Can't live without 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 11:11:05 AM PDT
R. K. Hunter says:
Hi Mr P. Campbell. interesting looking Blog, good article on Miff Mole, but i think genius a bit over the top for Andrei Previn who poo hoo-ed his jazz work and said that he thought little of his time as a jazz player and his playing was of little value, when he was on Desert island DiscS in England and said he thought jazz of little value also.i thought that was a nice turn around on something that brought him to the public eye in the first place , not too keen on turn coats like that. even if i have a few records by him manly in other peoples groups.

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:46:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 12:46:43 PM PDT
Interesting comment by Previn, RKH. I guess he moves in more high brow circles these days but that doesn't signify that he had to put down his jazz work and jazz in general. I feel sorry for the poor, misguided soul. Which was that programme broadcast, by the way? Methinks, it was a while back because didn't he relatively recently return to the jazz fold after a very long absence?

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 2:49:57 PM PDT
I recently found this really nice Dutch blog site. It's http://keepswinging.blogspot.com. Interesting and well researched info.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 10:43:01 AM PDT
Not really a blog though, through the site that I am going to recommend, there is a link to a blog. As many of you are Monk maniacs, I'm sure that some of you will also know the music of Brit, Stan Tracey, whose quirky style is very reminiscent of Thelonius's. Stan is now in his 80's but still playing quite fabulous jazz piano. He is also something of a British jazz guru. After all, he's played with every major British jazz musician for more than five decades!! Check out Stan's own website www.stantracey.com. which is packed with lots of info about British jazz musicians. There is a particularly nice piece on an early Joe Harriott LP. Don't know who Joe Harriott is? Just one of the most important pioneers of free jazz and indo/jazz fusion that ever lived.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 12:11:11 PM PDT
Nitya,

re:Jazz (Jazzers Jazzing) - http://jazzjazzersjazzing.blogspot.com

That's Carl Hager's blog. He still posts here in these parts on occasion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 10:48:00 AM PDT
Nitya says:
Carl also writes nifty reviews for my favorite jazz website: www.allaboutjazz.com

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 1:08:22 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Google has a special search function that only searches blogs: you put in your topic and let her rip! (see below)

http://www.google.com/blogsearch?hl=en

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 1:13:51 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Here's a search Key I used in the Google blog search:

"avant garde jazz"-rock

The quotes keep the key precise and linked to the entire phrase, not just part of it. The "-rock" sets it up to exclude any hit that has the word rock in it, thus avoiding garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 1:48:04 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
I also use the same phrase:

"avant garde jazz"-rock

...in GOOGLE ALERTS:

http://www.google.com/alerts/manage?hl=en&gl=us&source=alertsmail&cd=l3Sv87GgeTc&cad=CAcQAhgAQJrXyfIESAE

It's a service of Google that tracks new sites and revisions that match the phrase that's the key.

This is extremely useful. You can make up a key to track anything you like-across THE ENTIRE INTERNET!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 3:45:59 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Thanks for that!

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:50:01 PM PDT
Yes, Spart. I echo Nitya's thanks. Verrry useful to know

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 5:06:39 PM PDT
willm says:
gotta give tim berne credit for best blog-he had a one day long 'i hate blogs' blog

'mankind is creating all the right technology for all the wrong reasons'

b fuller

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 6:48:00 AM PDT
Just found this blog and it looks quite interesting at first acquaintance:- www.keepswinging.blogspot.com.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part II 9957 1 hour ago
New Ornette Coleman album! 1 17 hours ago
WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO? 476 1 day ago
New album alert 171 2 days ago
Donna Jewell 4 2 days ago
Vinyl freaks! Anyone else left out there? 412 3 days ago
Avant Garde Jazz 2318 3 days ago
Marcus Belgrave R.I.P. 0 4 days ago
Bob Belden R.I.P. 0 8 days ago
Desert Island Albums 655 10 days ago
From Coltrane to Kenny G. 73 10 days ago
Forgotten men of jazz. 696 12 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions