Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

What's on Order?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 462 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2016 11:00:09 AM PST
Fischman says:
Wow! Nice list!
Feel free to have them delivered to my address.

Posted on Feb 29, 2016 12:31:17 PM PST
Lil Rook says:
I haven't been on here in a while but I've ordered a huge amount of stuff recently

Elvin Jones- Ultimate
Jimmy Smith- Midnight Special
Jimmy Smith- Back At The Chicken Shack: The Incredible Jimmy Smith
Jimmy Smith- Prayer Meetin'
Elvin Jones- At This Point In Time
Grant Green- Idle Moments
Lee Morgan- Live at the Lighthouse
Elvin Jones- Coalition
Jackie McLean- Bluesnik
Thelonious Monk- Two Hours with Thelonious. European Concerts by Thelonious Monk Quartet. Complete Paris and Milan Concerts (1961)
Joe Henderson- Our Thing
John Coltrane- Dakar
Joe Henderson- Multiple
Art Blakey- Not Yet
Grant Green- Grantstand
Paul Chambers- 1st Bassman
Donald Byrd- The Transition Sessions
Bobby Hutcherson- San Francisco
Elvin Jones- Poly-Currents
Art Blakey- Hard Champion
Art Blakey- Chippin' In
McCoy Tyner- Time For Tyner
Bobby Hutcherson- View From the Inside
Freddie Hubbard- The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard
Andrew Hill- Pax
Andrew Hill- Change
Andrew Hill- Passing Ships
Andrew Hill- Grass Roots

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2016 10:55:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2016 3:10:27 AM PST
Ahmad says:
RCB,
Not even of the cover of the box. Yes, there is pictures of the albums, but too small to see and some of the art cover in many albums do not clearly exhibit album titles..

Posted on Jan 27, 2016 7:35:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2016 9:12:59 AM PST
Fischman says:
Fortunately, the music on my just arrived Kessel set (7 Classic Albums - Barney Kessel) matches the albums on the cover and as listed on the box.

However, the CD info that comes up is badly mismatched on some of the CDs. I will have to make manual corrections in the i-tunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2016 6:29:00 AM PST
RCB says:
The names of the albums should be on the front cover of the box. At least on Amazon you can clearly see all the pictures of the albums just as they appeared on the cover of the LP. It never bothered me that the linear notes or a fancy booklet was not included with a budget set. More importantly though; how do the recordings sound?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2016 10:58:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2016 2:18:37 AM PST
Ahmad says:
And my 12 Classic albums set by Horace Silver does not contain liner notes, not even the albums' names! Just track names on the cover of the box... No album names?!!

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 6:13:34 AM PST
Fischman says:
So the first part of my order came in, including the bargain box -- Complete Blue Note Collection: 1954-1957

One huge disappointment contained therein. The box neatly fits 8 complete Blakey recordings onto 4 discs. These include At the Cafe Bohemia vols 1 - 2 (I already had vol 1, expecting that to be my only duplication in the set), Night at Birdland vols 1 - 3, Orgy in Rhythm vols 1 - 2 and . . . .

. . . according to the box cover, starting with Horace Silver Trio

However, upon receiving the set and looking into it, while the box cover does picture the aforementioned Horace Silver Trio album, what is actually contained on the disc is Horace Silver & the Jazz Messengers. Don't get me wrong that's a fine disc and certainly a worthy inclusion in the set, but that is another that I already had, and I was looking forward to getting something different, especially the rarer Trio disc as was indicated.

I'm always a little leery of these bargain box sets. I expect little or nothing in the way of liner notes and am even willing to brook a slight drop in sound quality. However, A blatant misrepresentation of the actual contents, whether intentional or not, represents an unacceptable drop in product quality.

I have two more such sets yet to be delivered from the same order (Wynton Kelly and Barney Kessel sets). I hope they don't have such basic factual errors or misrepresentations.

Posted on Jan 26, 2016 12:03:05 AM PST
David Mugmon says:
Susan,

Thanks, it looks like I'll have to settle for the later recordings. I may take a closer look at some of the other Ellington sideman as well.

Best-

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2016 5:12:01 PM PST
David,

I believe that the earlier Hodges set was issued only on vinyl.

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 2:55:59 PM PST
David Mugmon says:
Sadly, I believe you are correct. I searched when I ordered the later set, to no avail. I'll keep my eye open. Is there a good place to go online for used out-of-print CDs?

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 12:15:07 PM PST
David,

I think you'll really enjoy the Hodges. Do you have earlier set, also on Mosaic, covering 1951-55? I think that's equally as good. I couldn't find it quickly on Amazon so it may be out of print.

Posted on Jan 24, 2016 11:49:59 AM PST
David Mugmon says:
1. I heard a selection from The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956-61 on the local jazz station and placed an order.

2. I listened to a nice interview with Wally Schnalle and Hristo Vitchev this morning, so I ordered Idiot Fish. I haven't bought a fusion recording for a while. These guys sounded phenomenal.

Posted on Jan 21, 2016 6:48:06 PM PST
Fischman says:
I have also gone on a bit of an ordering binge.

I usually don't go for the bargain basement "XX albums collections" for three reasons:
1. No liner notes
2. To pack all those albums on as few CDs as possible,the discs don't line up with the albums.
(Exception--my collection of the 10 classic CDs from Donald Byrd perfectly fit two albums per CD for a nice 5 cd set).
3. I usually already have a few albums which reside in the bargain collection, and I don't like duplication.

However, I just found three very attractively priced sets by artists I like and only one of the 24 albums contained on them is in my current collection.

Wynton Kelly -- Nine Complete Albums: 1951-1961
Art Blakey -- Complete Blue Note Collection: 1954-1957
Barney Kessel -- 7 Classic Albums - Barney Kessel

Also ordered some serious hole fillers:
Kenny Drew -- Undercurrent
Bobby Hutcherson -- Stick-Up!
Kenny Burrell/Donald Byrd/et al -- All Day Long (I am a devoted fan of All Night Long)

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 3:11:52 PM PST
Ahmad says:
11- Bill Evans Alone
12- Joe Pass Resonance
13- Miles Davis E.S.P.
14- Barry Altschul Tales Of The Unforseen
15- Joe Henderson Porgy And Bess
16- Roscoe Mitchell Quartet Live At Space 1975 Mainstream Jazz

Posted on Jan 17, 2016 3:07:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2016 8:37:02 PM PST
Ahmad says:
Bought these albums during my stay in London this month:

1- Shirley Scott Four Classic Albums
2- Horace Silver 12 Classic Albums: 1953-1962 (6CDs)
3- Hal McKusick 4 Classic Albums Vol.2
4- Bud Shank 4 Classic Albums 2
5- Victor Feldman 4 Classic Albums - Victor Feldman Transatlantic Alliance / Modern Jazz Quartet 2
6- Wynton Kelly Four Classic Albums
7- Sarah Vaughan Sarah + 2 + After Hours
8- Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Holland 1958-Newport 1959
9- Chick Corea Corea, Chick Trio Music Other Modern Jazz
10- Dave O'Higgins: Standards (saw him live with the Brubeck Brothers at the Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club in London this January and bought his album after the gig)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2015 9:27:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2015 2:52:05 AM PST
Ahmad says:
Joe Henderson In Japan

Thank you, new unoriginal pseudonym, for your recommendation (couple of years ago!) of Joe Henderson's album Live in Japan. I am listening to it right now on Youtube and placed an order right away!

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 10:22:41 AM PST
Matteson Phillips Tubajazz Consort Superhorns

This one appears to be available on CD, as is quite good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2015 9:32:35 AM PST
Ahmad says:
Hi Susan,
I have Then & Now by Bob stewart and like it. It seems all of the albums by Matteson you are suggestion are in Vinyle format.

Posted on Dec 28, 2015 5:40:48 AM PST
Matteson Phillips Tubajazz Consort Superhorns

If you're looking for tuba jazz albums, anything by this group is great. Also, check out Bob Stewart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2015 9:36:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2015 9:36:43 PM PST
Ahmad says:
Watching/listening to 3 wonderful Youtubes suggested by stevign back in June 18, 2010. I was searching for Jazz tuba albums then. It took me like 5 years to check stevign's youtubes ?!!!

Posted on Dec 17, 2015 11:44:45 AM PST
RCB says:
Yer welcome Ahmad. I listened to the entire recording on Spotify Web Player ( for free ) prior to purchasing it. Its the " type " of Jazz I particularly enjoy. Not only was the recording crisp and clear for being recorded as long ago as it was, but for the price, the amount of tunes on the CD made it even more appealing. Hope you N-Joy it 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2015 11:00:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2015 11:01:21 AM PST
Ahmad says:
Last order of the century:

1- Joe Lovano I'm All For You (Ballad Songbook)... Thanks, Ali!
2- Elmo Hope Trio & Quintet... Thanks, RCB!
3- Jemeel Moondoc Live at Glenn Miller Cafe 1... Thanks, Keith & Ali!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2015 11:13:57 PM PST
Ahmad says:
Zolar, That's great news! I am still waiting for the shipment. hopefully it will arrive before Christmas. I got the idea of buying the album from a thread about organ jazz, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2015 10:01:32 PM PST
Zolar Waka says:
Ahmad: Talk is Cheap is a freaking classic. Of all my albums, which is up to about 8000 now, Talk is Cheap is the one that I've listened to the most! First on cassette and vinyl, then on CD; I still have a vinyl copy. Next to "Double Fantasy" (which was my very first album; on cassette, stolen from my sister); Talk is Cheap is the first album I had copies on all 3 formats!

On order: Some King Curtis!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2015 8:57:10 PM PST
RCB says:
On that Sonny Clark set I referenced, Cool Struttin' is included in it. Prior to purchasing it myself I listened to most of the other recordings on Spotify Web Player. I think they have 5 of the 7 recordings.
After listening to them a time or two, I picked up the set. Early Blue Note recordings are some of my favorites and as I mentioned...the sound quality is superb. N-Joy that Cool Struttin' disc !!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Jazz forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To Right Now? Part III 1833 1 day ago
New album alert 203 2 days ago
Desert Island Albums 726 3 days ago
WHAT'S THE LAST JAZZ CONCERT / GIG (etc.) YOU WENT TO? 547 3 days ago
Avant Garde Jazz 2426 16 days ago
just discovered this forum today 9 29 days ago
Questions & Answers 42 29 days ago
Never Heard Of Jazz Players 181 May 18, 2016
New Avant Garde Jazz Musicians of the 21st Century 15 May 17, 2016
YouTubes 287 Mar 30, 2016
New Album "Episodes" 1 Mar 26, 2016
What's on Order? 461 Mar 8, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  462
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions