Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Blogs and blogging.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 4, 2014 2:47:26 AM PDT
Here is a shameless promotion for our blog:

http://www.jazzbackstory.blogspot.com

We're currently working on a series on jazz arrangers who made a difference on the pop scene. We are working on our final installment on arrangers at the moment, and are doing an analysis of "Fly Me To the Moon" sung by Frank Sinatra, with the Count Basie band and arranged by Quincy Jones. We'll probably finish that sometime over the weekend.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 2:11:21 AM PDT
Rachel,
I did a quick check of your blog and will DEFINITELY go back for further explorations. Good job!

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 11:56:22 AM PDT
Dunno if anyone is still posting in this thread, but my boss recently started a blog and (though I'm quite biased, naturally), I think it has a lot of potential. He's an industry expert -- won 5 Grammys for his work with Joe Henderson and a publisher for close to 400 composers -- and a hard bop trumpeter as well. I'd love to know what all of you think about it -- I'm trying to find ways to make it as useful as possible. You can find it at http://www.donsickler.com/blog

Posted on May 31, 2014 4:03:28 PM PDT
Found an information packed blog the other day whilst researching a particular artist. Not all jazz but a lot about obscure but talented female vocalists if those might be up your street. You can find it at www.bonjourqui.blogspot.com.

Posted on Mar 29, 2013 1:56:49 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Just found this blog: www.freejazzblog.org/

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 1:42:57 PM PDT
I've just mentioned this blog in another thread but it's worth noting here, too. It's www.harpinlafunbutton.blogspot.com. It's purely about harpists of all genres but it has several bios about jazz harpists including the great Dorothy Ashby. Very well worth checking out if you're into jazz harp.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:52:53 AM PST
Check out www.ehsankhoshbakht.blogspot.com. Great info from a blogger based in Iran of all places. And written in English, too!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 3:44:35 AM PST
Also, I found this jazz blogspot with the really strange name of www.9greychairs.blogspot.com. Good content, though. Check it out if you're into investigating blogs.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:44:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 2:55:15 AM PST
I found this blog which deals specifically with British "modern" jazz of the 50's and 60's. Good content, I thought, and the opportunity to say your piece if you think that you have something that might be interesting to other Britjazz freaks.
Oops,I thought that I put up the site for this blog but either I didn't or it's been edited out. Anyway,it's www.britjazz.blogspot.com.
However, if Brit jazz is your thing, you can find several more specific jazz blogs dealing with it simply by Googling "British jazz blogspots".

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 7:27:55 AM PDT
I found this blog today, www.guitarsandallthatjazz.blogspot.com which upon first acquaintanceship looks very interesting. Guitar freaks,check it out.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 6:08:17 PM PDT
I was recently sent information about the death of Kansas City tenor saxophonist, Malik Yaqub. Some photos of him playing on his 75th birthday gig can be found at this Spanish blog site,www.chemajazz.blogspot.com.es. This is an exceptionally nice site packed full with photos and information. The only snag is, it's all in Spanish (logically as one would expect of course). His original name was Mack Spears.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 5:53:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 5:59:35 AM PDT
Came across this blog quite accidentally today and, at first acquaintanceship, it looks quite interesting:- speakeasyjazzatheclub.blogspot.com. It's main language seems to be Portuguese but there are English language translations at least of the CD revues.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 6:16:08 PM PDT
Nitya, Thomas, Mr. P Campbell: You all have your points. To be sure, I am not looking for any sort of approbation here. That said... I am certainly a little bit curious (and at least momentarily ticked off, hence my post before) as to why some good folk feel compelled to give entirely valid posts such as mine (and Nitya's Nik Bartsch one- opinions needn't/shouldn't come into play with either, given their content) thumbs downs... Anyway, time to go to another thread...

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 3:21:10 PM PDT
Nitya says:
I think the whole purpose of "Do you think this post adds to the discussion?" Yes - No doesn't really apply to us because we conduct civil discussions most of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 2:26:29 PM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/forum/music/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1YA4ZE83NG9MC&cdThread=Tx1CFO1IVDMM40R

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 1:17:54 PM PDT
Which IMO makes the criticism null and void because it's hardly an opinion. If one giving a thumbs up or down they should at least inform the rest of us as to why, otherwise an anonymous criticism has no meaning and does not further our knowledge in any way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:37:29 PM PDT
Nitya says:
I got a thumbs down for listening to the new Nik Baertsch album. Problem is a thumbs down is anonymous.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:28:31 PM PDT
N.U.P.
I suggested that you ask that question of the forum member who gave you the thumbs down. Being far too lazy to go back through all the posts to see what you are referring to but, I put it to you that there will inevitably be differences of opinion anywhere that humankind interacts especially with such a diverse subject as jazz music. For me, I am not looking for the approbation or otherwise of other forum members. I simply post a comment once in a while. Occasionally, I err about some historical fact and have been corrected, which I don't mind.
But, hey, we all have to take a little rough with the smooth in this life and learn to ride over the bumps wherever and when ever they might occur, isn't that right. After all, it's just a few jazz freaks waffling about the music they all enjoy isn't it. Sorry that I didn't provide the answer that you were looking for but felt the need to sound off a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 3:09:27 PM PDT
I'm just curious: I am the ONLY person who has a post in this thread that has received a thumbs down. Exactly why is that so? How did I offend someone? Not like I expect an answer, mind you... (But it is another reason to stop posting on this forum, that's for sure.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:23:40 AM PDT
Mr. P says:
Jazz: Searching for an Audience and a Vibe

"The dilemma of how to engage new audiences, especially the millennial generation, in the historical significance of America's original art form, jazz, and how the music influences life and cultural creativity today was the focus of a recent Congressional Black Caucus forum entitled, "If You Really are Concerned: An African American Agenda for Jazz."

"Jimmy Heath said too often bebop artists, past and present, loved to play complex polyrhythms that youth can't understand or connect with emotionally. "People don't feel that," he said of some of the more avant garde jazz. "Play what they like!"

" Millennials don't like to be captives at traditional concerts. They want to move and engage in conversations on social media like Twitter at concerts.

Youth also don't categorize music in genres with the rigidity used by the music industry, said Willard Jenkins.

"Duke Ellington, Max Roach, and Randy Weston have all said that jazz is an obsolete term," said Jenkins, a view that many jazz artists have held since the music's origins.

"It is music, played by black people" to tell life stories, world cultural history, and "have a voice" to make a statement musically that society might not allow them to articulate socially, he said.

"Jazz (instruction) has been in schools twenty to thirty years," said 26-year-old jazz pianist Gerald Clayton. "I think the way we teach this music, and have put it into these boxes and formulas can have a negative effect on the music."

And that negativity can extend to the young fan base.

Joann Stevens is program manager of Jazz Appreciation Month (JAM), an initiative to advance appreciation and recognition of jazz as America's original music, a global cultural treasure. JAM is celebrated in every state in the U.S. and the District of Columbia and some 40 countries every April.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/aroundthemall/2012/09/jazz-searching-for-an-audience-and-a-vibe/

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:32:24 PM PDT
Has anyone mentioned Ethan Iverson's (The Bad Plus) blog yet? http://dothemath.typepad.com/ Always an interesting read.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 6:48:00 AM PDT
Just found this blog and it looks quite interesting at first acquaintance:- www.keepswinging.blogspot.com.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 5:06:39 PM PDT
willm says:
gotta give tim berne credit for best blog-he had a one day long 'i hate blogs' blog

'mankind is creating all the right technology for all the wrong reasons'

b fuller

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 5:50:01 PM PDT
Yes, Spart. I echo Nitya's thanks. Verrry useful to know

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 3:45:59 PM PDT
Nitya says:
Thanks for that!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Apr 19, 2011
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions