Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

Undiscovered Modern Jazz - Post up something NEW

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2012 6:08:58 PM PST
A. Drake says:
Sazzunk

Came across this in CDs and MP3s. This is some outstanding modern jazz here. Have something new to share?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:55:32 AM PST
inner exile says:
Not exactly new, as it was released in 2006 by Fresh Sound New Talent, but little-known and accessible modern jazz can be found on trumpeter Taylor Haskins' "Metaview" - Andrew Rathbun: tenor and soprano saxes, Adam Rogers: guitar, Matt Penman: double bass, Mark Ferber: drums. You might want to give it a try: Metaview

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:33:39 AM PST
A. Drake says:
Yes, I should specify. New means new to you and has nothing to do with the release date. Thanks for the suggestion hanyi!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:38:09 AM PST
inner exile says:
Sure...new to me as far as the material, not the line-up, goes is guitarist David Gilmore's modern jazz suite called "Numerology" that may as well qualify among the best jazz releases of 2012 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgdzvTEMzTQ
Otherwise, currently I've got 27 items tagged as 'modern jazz' - feel free to check them out if so inclined, and don't forget positive vote is always welcome - feels like an encouraging pat on the back (grin).

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:55:51 PM PST
Spartacus says:
Undiscovered Modern Jazz is an ironic term, because when you stop to think about it, there isn't really any undiscovered jazz except to the slouches who are imaginatively too lazy to dig what's new.

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 5:51:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2013 5:54:13 AM PDT
inner exile says:
While the line-up is not new to me but their latest record, which can easily rank among the best in its genre for the year 2013, certainly is: dynamic aesthetics of organic creativity being demonstrated on double bassist Drew Gress' The Sky Inside, also featuring Craig Taborn - piano, Tim Berne - alto sax, Ralph Alessi - trumpet, Tom Rainey - drums.

Strongly recommended if you don't mind a bit of challenge for your comfort zone, have longer than usual attention span, and/or being attuned to modern jazz with avantgarde slant (and not the other way around)!

If you couldn't care less about my review, here is another one: http://fullyaltered.com/fa/2013/06/03/acclaimed-bassistcomposer-drew-gress-ends-five-year-recording-hiatus-with-the-sky-inside-pirouet/

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2013 4:00:20 PM PDT
Spartacus says:
Try the Avant Garde Jazz thread, "Never Heard...", etc. Plenty of new if you look around.

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 4:16:43 AM PST
inner exile says:
More than promising young pianist/composer Bobby Avey's (b. 1985) quasi-debut album New Face (2010, jayDell Records) is a truly awesome modern jazz offering. He seamlessly integrates classical and modern idioms into a cohesive whole, with the assistance of Thomas Kneeland on double bass and the criminally underrated Jordan Perlson on drums. Dave Liebman joins the trio to the tune of four songs (2, 4, 6, 8) on soprano and tenor saxes.

Although the following concert footage does not do justice to the greatness of the original recording, it's still useful if you want to get the feel of it (please note Liebman is not featured on the opener 'late november' of the disc version) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlvr2dHVpps

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 9:20:59 AM PDT
inner exile says:
I've recently procured and found myself immersed in two albums by a trombonist/composer from Seattle, although he's tenured at the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music in New York, named Chris Stover - Circle By Night and Between Two Conclusions, both were independently released in 2012.

He's also a music theorist, writing scholarly papers under such titles as "Subtending the Tonal/Atonal Nexus through Multiplicative Operators in Cecil Taylor's Early Music" (2010). His interests also include a "phenomenological approach to music analysis" - where/how can I enroll for such a course?

for details, feel free to visit: http://www.morezero.com/about.html

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 12:43:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2014 1:43:52 PM PDT
Mingus&Toki says:
I've found Dave kane's 'The eye of the Duck'...anybody who appreciates adventurous contemporary jazz, should be check this out!

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 3:02:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2014 11:00:42 AM PDT
inner exile says:
Is anyone familiar w/ a quartet dubbed Bad Touch, featuring Loren Stillman - alto sax, Nate Radley - guitar, Gary Versace - organ, Ted Poor - drums?

live performance(s) can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/user/badtouchmusic/videos

albums so far: Like a Magic Kiss (2008, independently released)

Loren Stillman and Bad Touch. Going Public (2014, FreshSound NewTalent)

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 4:24:07 AM PST
inner exile says:
London-based American expat trumpeter Andre Canniere's (b. 1978) third release called Coalescence (2013, Whirlwind) deserves repeated listens.

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 7:51:23 AM PST
Fischman says:
I recently "discovered' the Fred Hersch Trio. His 2014 release, Floating, is a beautiful piece of classically influenced Jazz.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions