Customer Discussions > Jazz forum

World music-Jazz Fusion suggestions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2011 7:06:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 8:15:30 AM PDT
R. Shepherd says:
Hi,

I have increasingly been finding myself more interested in music melding "world music" with jazz. I have been listening to a lot of Zakir Hussain and Rabih Abou-Khalil (his Al-Jadida album with Sonny Fortune is amazing) lately in addition to some more of Rudresh Mahanthappa's Indo-Pak and more Charles Lloyd stuff... I've also been a long-time fan of Yusef Lateef's Eastern Sounds-even just the jazz oboe is really cool. Beyond the interesting sound and fluidity I often find, I find it interesting how jazz- America's cultural music- interplays with the culture music of other places in the world. Does anyone have any other suggestions of good music mixing traditional cultural music with Jazz?

thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 7:41:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 7:43:04 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Hi Robert:

Jacques Loussier Plays Bach

Gabor Szabo: Sorcerer, Gypsy influences.

Anouar Brahem: Astrakan Cafe. Arab/North African influences.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 8:18:48 AM PDT
R. Shepherd says:
Awesome. Thanks! All three look really interesting. I'll definitely look into them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 8:36:17 AM PDT
Ahmad says:
Robert,
There are very knowledgable people on this thread. I am sure you will hear more and better recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 1:33:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 1:37:35 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
Today I listened to 2 that might fit the bill...you are familiar with Lloyd's work, so you probably already know about this great recording from 2004: Sangam. Another recording that fuses some traditional Indian and orient sounds and instruments with jazz that I'm listening to now is Don Cherry's "Orient" (1971) from the following double-disc set: Orient/Blue Lake. A lot of Cherry's recordings from the late 60's to his end are recommended from this perspective.

P.S. Thanks for the tip on Rabih Abou-Khalil's album; I'm always trying to find out ways to follow the music of Sonny Fortune, big fan of his. I'll bet he's great on this album.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 1:55:32 PM PDT
I second the Anouar Brahem!

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 1:57:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 1:58:03 PM PDT
Roswell Rudd & Toumani Diabate - Malicool

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 9:20:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 9:25:20 PM PDT
Ahmad says:
Zolar & Here For The Music,
I am listening to clips from Sangam and Malicool on Youtube; awesome! I am cosidering buying the albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 12:59:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2012 1:53:40 AM PST
Anouar Brahem - has a few fine discs on ECM

Paul Winter - some of his stuff is a little 'New Age-y' but he was doing world music+jazz fusion in the 1960s & '70s!

Codona - a trio on ECM consisting of COlin Walcott, DOn Cherry & NAna Vasconcelos!

Charlie Mariano - some of his albums are bebop, some are fusion, some are with Indian musicians...he also appears on some fine Eberhard Weber albums, too!

Tony Scott - see above

...will think-up more later.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 2:49:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 2:50:51 PM PDT
Edwardobop says:
Robert

Three very different fusion examples ... but they are not new. Jazz has found a way of mixing with some very old and traditional cultures over the last 100 years or so.

1. Marty Ehrlich produced a very fine album, "Sojourn", blending his jazz sensibilities with the music of previous generation(s). Well worth a listen. Sojourn

2. Many countries make up the continent of Africa and most have there own rich musical cultures. Hugh Masekela is a very successful musician that has a track record going back decades. Try "Grazing On The Grass" to gain a flavour. Grazing in the Grass: The Best of Hugh Masekela

3. Thirdly ... well it has to be Cuban doesn't it? A nice informal video from Youtube ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OFZWGpqTaY

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 8:20:58 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 8:43:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 9:04:03 AM PDT
Jerlaw says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 1:26:02 PM PDT
Gato Barbieri - His albums from the early & mid-1970s combine FIERY jazz [a mix of hard bop & free] with South American folk elements

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:17:51 PM PDT
I second much of what I've read previously. Don Cherry I think is the key person though. Beyond the above names:

1) Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand) is a South African pianist who works the melodic and rhythmic traditions of his homeland into jazz.
2) Randy Weston
3) Pharoah Sanders' Impulse albums rocked between the poles of free jazz and strong African rhythms and drones.
4) Oregon esp. pre-ECM.
5) Collin Walcott was a member of CODONA and Oregon. He cut a few albums for ECM. Cloud Dance is easy to find, Grazing Dreams less so.

These are a few of my faves. Enjoy
Shayjazz21

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 7:14:28 PM PDT
Two albums that I enjoy immensly.

Ahmed Abdul-Malik's Jazz Sounds of Africa. A couple of tracks can be listened to on Youtube.

Mellow mid-East sound with bari-sax, Thimar.

I'm wide-open to Jazz crossovers, but fairly finnicky. Those two albums passed with flying colors.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 9:44:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2011 9:47:54 PM PDT
E. T. says:
How about the fusion of bluegrass and acoustic jazz? This Train
Also: Oregon is a great band; eastern, classical and jazz elements Distant Hills

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 2:12:52 AM PDT
Right On E.T.!

re:Distant Hills

Yeah that and lots of what the Oregon crew ( Ralph Towner, Glen Moore, Paul McCandless, Colin Walcott) did during the time of Distant Hills.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 12:44:12 PM PDT
Fela Kuti...I have yet to have enough of this masterful musician!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 4:38:58 PM PDT
E. T. says:
Agreed! They were great.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:43:09 PM PDT
I like the album "Talking Timbuktu" from a few years ago with Ali Farka Toure from Mali in West Africa, with Ry Cooder. If you ever listen to "The World" on NPR you will have heard one of the tracks, because they use the tune, called "Diarabey" to introduce the geography quiz portion of the show. Great blending of African rhythms and instruments, and the vocal tracks are in about 8 different West African languages.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 9:12:19 AM PST
Jan Garbarek - Ragas And Sagas and Madar

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 2:10:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 11:20:44 AM PST
Ali Haluk says:
Malicool (Rudd and Diabate collaboration mentioned above) rules!.. From last year's discs Regina Carter's "Reversing Thread" could also be recommended. Billy Bang's "Vietnam the Aftermath" and Nguyen Le's "Homespace" are among my new discoveries and favorites. For tango effect, after Piazzola lessons it's time for Dino Saluzzi and Richard Galliano albums :) Regarding mid-eastern and mediterranean aspects or effects it's a wonderful world to discover from klezmer-like avantgarde Don Byron or John Zorn works to more traditional A. Brahem or "more italian" Salvatore Bonafede! Myriam Alter is my personal favorite in this realm with her three albums, "If", "Alter ego" and "Where is there"... What about Cyro Baptista for all the world rhythms or Adam Rudolph, both are great imo. And for the "Balkan world" that i live in, Matt Darriau and Bojan Zülfikarpasic make beautiful albums... and a special recommendetion for my geography it's BABA ZULA...

(I don't know why but my "insert a product link" facility doesn't work anymore. the message is clear: "We did not find any items closely matching billy bang. Please try a new query.")

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 8:20:31 AM PST
bordersj2 says:
- Patrick Forge. He's a producer/DJ out of London. He has a podcast actually that is FREE, so if you're a little curious about jazz that's a little off the beaten path and different, check out his NipponJazz podcast. He Put together a pretty solid mix of Japanese jazz musicians/artists from the 70's, 80's or so. There are some wonderful and delightful fusion tracks that are worth having a listen.

Just google Patrick Forge Podcast and he'll have several playlists/podcasts available. If on the page I'd also recommend giving a listen to a list he has titled "Brazilian Christmas". It's not all Bossa Nova - it's got a healthy dosage of Brazilian jazz, tropicalismo, MPB and funk and fusion. Terrific artists - Rosa Passos, Aquarious (with Burnier/Cartier), fusion maestros Azymuth, Gal Costa, Johnny Alf and many many others. You might also like some of Airto Moreira's former bands, like "Pacific Jam" with wife Flora Purim. Not sure if it's the kind of fusion you're looking for but it's certainly what I like! I tend to go for South American, Japanese and Scandinavian & Eastern European (Raw Fusion label has a few, etc.). One last one - a producer and serious record collector, Gilles Peterson, sometimes puts out solid mixes & can guide you as well.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 11:20:21 AM PST
Ali Haluk says:
for the gypsy sounds, after heavy django listenings, christian escoude come to mind first, especially with his "a suite for gypsies" (escoude on guitars, joachim kühn on piano, ferenc bokany on double bass, bruno ziarelli on drums and a string quartet, magnificent), then comes ferenc snetberger with his hungarian roots ("obsession" and "nomad" especially from enja label).

for african sounds, you can also check and taste sclavis-texier-romano trio ("carnet de routes" and "african flashback" from label bleu. artwork of magnum photography school is an incredible bonus!) and henri texier's other works, "mad nomads" especially...

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 8:00:44 PM PST
Jazz that includes world/ethnic/folk influences is one of my favorite sub-genres. I love the blending of sounds - jazz has always been an art form that incorporates influences from great music wherever it's from. Of course, Latin jazz is its own genre with too many greats to list. I'm particularly fond of jazz that includes African or Middle Eastern influences. I highly second mentions of folks like Rabih Abou Khalil, Randy Weston, Abdullah Ibrahim and Don Cherry. I'll add several of my favorites:

Masada - John Zorn's quartet with Dave Douglas, Greg Cohen & Joey Baron plays jazz the way Ornette Coleman's quartet might have played if they were klezmer musicians. Looks like most of the studio records are out of print but several excellent live records are available like Middleheim, Tonic and Jerusalem.

Dave Douglas - Speaking of Douglas above, his Tiny Bell Trio records incorporate Eastern European influences. Look for Live In Europe.

Pierre Dorge - His New Jungle Orchestra has recorded several albums with a variety of influences, not just a single culture. The self titled record and Very Hot Even the Moon is Dancing incorporate African, China Jungle is one of the few jazz records I've seen that incorporates Chinese music, and the newest record looks like it is based on Indian music.

Anthony Brown - Anthony Brown's Asian American Orchestra is another big band with Asian influences. Their initial record was a recording of Ellington's Far East Suite (which is a fantastic record should be mentioned in its own right, of course!), and is very good at taking Duke's music even further east with traditional Chinese instruments included.

Randy Weston - Just want to mention that Spirits Of Our Ancestors is one of the most wonderful records I've ever heard. Pharoah Sanders is on it too along with several regular Weston band contributors.

Bheki Mseleku - South African born pianist & saxophonist, got recognized after moving to London and has made a series of very good recordings. Some but not all of the tunes incorporate sounds from his South African heritage.

Joe Harriott - Back in the 1960's before world music was widely known, this Jamaican born saxophonist moved to London and started incorporating Indian and other sounds into his music. Indo-Jazz Fusions is a record to look for.

Sam Newsome - Sam Newsome & Global Unity is a fantastic record that blends varying influences from the melting pot that is New York City.

Don Pullen - His African Brazilian Connection ensemble is another fantastic blending of elements from Pullen's Cecil Taylor influenced piano (which is reined in a bit for this project) with musicians from Brazil & Africa. 3 records were issued before Pullen succumbed to cancer - Kele Mou Bana, Ode To Life, and Live... Again.

Oh, and of course there's the legendary work of John Coltrane that should not go unmentioned. His record Africa is one of my all time favorites, and while he didn't record an entire album, the tune "India" shows up many times on recordings such as the 1961 Village Vanguard set.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jazz forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions